Best place to get hitch installed? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #15
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
dave---i'd give serious consideration to travelling to can-am RV in the london area.

we heard such wonderful reviews from others about their work that we drove up from new brunswick and have absolutely zero regrets.

good luck!
For sure. We only had to drive 2 hours but it was worth it. Here is a Can Am receiver going on a Subaru.
Attached Thumbnails
Subaru Hitch.jpg  

Old 02-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I had no problems having U-Haul install the wiring and hitch on my Outback in Vancouver. Just need to tell them ahead of time the year of the Outback, class of hitch and that you want the 7 pin connector so they order in the correct wiring harness & hitch. All the wiring is needed is already in the Outback - plug and play with the exception of the brake wire which Subaru requires you to add if towing anything over 1000lbs (which is pretty well every fiberglass trailer out there). I didnt have U-Haul add the break wire - had a very nice forum member from here who works for a large RV shop come to my house and run it for me before I had the hitch and wire harness added by U-Haul.

Edit to add: On my 08 no additional holes or dropping of any parts of the car where required to install the hitch. It went on easily and quickly. Been good for 6 years now.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #17

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Dave Do you homework on your hitch options for the Outback. Check out the Outback forum. The Subaru hitch is one of the best looking hitches but only has a 1 1/4 opening which limits your accessories and weight.
Good point - up until a few years ago Subaru didnt offer any of their own hitches and would tell you to take the car to a hitch shop for any hitch install but now they do and its only a Class I - not good for pulling anything other than a garden waste trailer.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #18

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
On the wiring - If your going to run a wire intended to re-charge trailer battery, or provide 12 volt power to trailer make sure they use a heavy gauge wire for that line to the 7 pin plug. Not less than 10 gauge, 8 gauge would be better. Otherwise voltage drop from the long wire will give you problems charging your trailer battery or running your fridge on 12 volt while traveling.

Typical hitch and trailer plug installers don't use wire that heavy. More like 12 or 14 gauge suitable for turn signals and tail lights.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #19

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
For sure. We only had to drive 2 hours but it was worth it. Here is a Can Am receiver going on a Subaru.
Notice that it attaches securely forward in the vehicle which allows for good weight transfer from a load equalizing hitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
On the wiring - If your going to run a wire intended to re-charge trailer battery, or provide 12 volt power to trailer make sure they use a heavy gauge wire for that line to the 7 pin plug. Not less than 10 gauge, 8 gauge would be better. .......
Excellent advice and worth the extra trouble / cost.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #20

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Notice that it attaches securely forward in the vehicle which allows for good weight transfer from a load equalizing hitch.
The OP may wish to check their cars manual in regards to the use of an equalizing hitch should who ever installs the hitch suggest they use one. In previous year models of Subaru's the manual clearly states they are not to be used. Having hauled thousands of miles with a Subaru all I can say is that it there is really no good reason for adding one either if the OP stays within Subaru's towing specs. No squat issue with the Outback (or at least on older models) and no handling issues either without one.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
While it is probably further than you want to go, I've had my last 3 hitches installed at Cole Muffler (now Mavis Discount Tire) here in Oswego, NY. (Could have been a short trip if the ferry idea hadn't fallen apart). No complaints about any of the installations, but if you want U-Haul, there is a U-Haul Hitch installer in Watertown, NY.

As to the wiring for the trailer lights, charge line & brake controller, I did it myself - on a RAV4 it was an experience!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #22

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
The OP may wish to check their cars manual in regards to the use of an equalizing hitch should who ever installs the hitch suggest they use one. In previous year models of Subaru's the manual clearly states they are not to be used. Having hauled thousands of miles with a Subaru all I can say is that it there is really no good reason for adding one either if the OP stays within Subaru's towing specs. No squat issue with the Outback (or at least on older models) and no handling issues either without one.
Yea, I know that is your oft stated opinion. My observation is that the Can Am hitches are engineered to build on the vehicle's inherent towing capability. No doubt Subaru knows the limitations of their own hitch design and that, I suspect, is why Can Am uses the forward mounting to accommodate the high moment from a load equalizing hitch.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #23

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Yea, I know that is your oft stated opinion. My observation is that the Can Am hitches are engineered to build on the vehicle's inherent towing capability. No doubt Subaru knows the limitations of their own hitch design and that, I suspect, is why Can Am uses the forward mounting to accommodate the high moment from a load equalizing hitch.
While I don't doubt that, and I myself have modified vehicles outside of manufacturer's spec with no worry, it can also throw the warranty away on a brand new vehicle. Something to think about...
Old 02-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #24

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
While I don't doubt that, and I myself have modified vehicles outside of manufacturer's spec with no worry, it can also throw the warranty away on a brand new vehicle. Something to think about...
Valid point. Hopefully we are all grown ups here.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #25

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
, it can also throw the warranty away on a brand new vehicle. Something to think about...
not to mention spending a bunch of money that isnt really needed in the first place as the tug will handle its allowed trailer weights very well without one. Not to mention the weight of the equalizer will take away from the allowable tongue weight for a vehicle that is already a bit to restricted IMO in tongue weight specs to start with.

But as been clearly stated that just my opinion as someone who has put on more than a few miles towing a much heavier trailer than that the OP's with the vehicle in question.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #26

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Yea, I know that is your oft stated opinion. .

Actually Tom the no equalizer usage is not my opinion its the opinion of the vehicle manufactures. Clearly stated in their manual. I tend to give there recommendations a bit more weight than what I read on an internet forum or from a company that makes their living selling me goods and services. After all Subaru knows why that is their policy as they actually built the vehicle and are not simply guessing as to the reasons why. Have had Subaru give me reasons for that policy that have nothing to do with the hitch points.... as you say we are all adults so would expect the OP will do their own homework on that topic.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #27

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Just to unwind this a bit. I never said the OP needs a weight distribution hitch.

I said that this hitch design by Can Am lends itself well to use with a weight distribution hitch by virtue of the fact that it attached well forward, as well as in the back to take the moment from the weight distributing hitch. Can Am uses this design on a number of their applications.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #28

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Actually Tom the no equalizer usage is not my opinion its the opinion of the vehicle manufactures. Clearly stated in their manual. I tend to give there recommendations a bit more weight than what I read on an internet forum or from a company that makes their living selling me goods and services. After all Subaru knows why that is their policy as they actually built the vehicle and are not simply guessing as to the reasons why. Have had Subaru give me reasons for that policy that have nothing to do with the hitch points.... as you say we are all adults so would expect the OP will do their own homework on that topic.
I'm not going to argue this with you. I spent a career taking vehicles from one level of performance to another, higher level. I wrote owner's manuals.

You, personally, should obey the owner's manual to the letter. Even if the owner's manual says to tow at 45 mph maximum.