Best Toilet Chemicals? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-21-2016, 09:31 PM   #1

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Best Toilet Chemicals?

We're new to the RV world. I gather we should add chemicals to our Casita's toilet/black tank. Which are the best, and can I get them on-line? There are no RV places nearby.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:41 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
This is what I use. Not sure how one would determine which one is best. I bought it at a hardware store.
Suggest you Google Odorlos and ask them where it is sold where you live.
Attached Thumbnails
odor.jpg  
Old 05-22-2016, 12:29 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Depends on how long you camp and what goes in the black tank. Less than a week is no big deal as we use the park facilities except for night time needs. Lots of people use Dawn dish washing detergent.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:56 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
I used the "standard" chemicals years ago but for over 20 years I've used Pine Sol, about 1 cup per charge. Works well and is available everywhere.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:44 AM   #5

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Toilet Supplies

Hey Mr Lynn,
Super Walmarts usually have a pretty good selection. Hope that helps. Peace.
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:54 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You may want to try this: Happy Campers-Odorless-RV Holding Tank Treatment for Black and Grey Water Tanks

Be careful of what you use. Some DIY chemicals folks use, dry out the seals on the gates and valves. That leads to maintenance issues.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:03 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You may want to try this: Happy Campers-Odorless-RV Holding Tank Treatment for Black and Grey Water Tanks

Be careful of what you use. Some DIY chemicals folks use, dry out the seals on the gates and valves. That leads to maintenance issues.
I started using Happier Camper on recommendations from RV'ers in Texas who claimed once they switched to it there was no more odour from their vent stack even in the high heat. I have used it in both my Casita and Escape and would also highly recommend it. http://1-happycamper.com/
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:55 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot
Arizona
I just started using a probiotic tank cleaner from TankTechsRX that supposedly cleans the tanks without odor masking chemicals and removes the struvite that forms in the tank. This is not an endorsement of the product as I haven't used it for very long. It's just an alternative for consideration.
Beeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:57 AM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
This is what I use. Not sure how one would determine which one is best. I bought it at a hardware store.
Suggest you Google Odorlos and ask them where it is sold where you live.
Ditto on Odorlos!
I tried a couple of different ones when we first got our trailer, then I tried Odorlos liquid. It was so much better that I gave away the stuff that I had in stock and switched to Odorlos.
We bought the small bottle which stores easily behind the toilet and has the self measuring feature. I have kept that bottle for over a decade now and refilled it when needed from the more economical large bottle (5.25qt)which is stored at home on that shelf.
The large bottle is expensive, but it lasts for years in a Scamp.
Odorlos is especially good for liquifying solids, which makes tank maintenance much easier.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:04 AM   #10

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Best place on line to buy RV supplies is Amazon.com.

The happy camper product as suggested by Donna D. will get the job done...another place for chemicals is Walmart (remember if Walmart does not sell it you don't need it)...they sell several good brands including a new entry from "Rid-X".... They all work and add a deodorizing scent to help odor control.

When in active use dump toilet tank weekly giving toilet chemical time to liquefy waste before dumping.

Tips: buy a short clear section of sewer pipe so you can see the dumping process
Is going as planned. Keep grey water tank valve closed when dumping toilet water...then close black water tank valve...open grey (sink) water valve...this water will rinse out sewer hose and clear section...always use a water/bleach mix to rinse out sewer hose etc...wear rubber/vinyl gloves during this task...toss out disposable vinyl gloves when job is done...wash hands before eating!

Try and remember that camping is fun...dump station duty is not fun but somebody must do it !

Go on line and find "doityourselfrv.com". Sign up for weekly email service (free) and read...read...read...they have just about every subject covered...also try. "irv2. com"

Happy Camping !
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:34 PM   #11

Massachusetts
Two recommendations for Happy Camper, two for Odorlos. Has anyone used both? If so, do you have a preference?

Uplander, Happy Camper charges $17 for their 18 oz. can, plus shipping I assume; Amazon wants $25 for what I assume is the same size (18 treatments)—'free' shipping with Amazon Prime, which I have. HC still might be cheaper.

Good tips, though.

/Mr Lynn

Old 05-23-2016, 06:29 AM   #12

Massachusetts
Another question: For the immediate future, we're probably going to be restricted to short trips, maybe 2-3 days. Is it better to dump after every short stay, or wait until the tanks are fuller?

/Mr Lynn

Old 05-23-2016, 06:35 AM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We always travel with empty tanks. That includes going home and between campgrounds.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:45 AM   #14

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
Another question: For the immediate future, we're probably going to be restricted to short trips, maybe 2-3 days. Is it better to dump after every short stay, or wait until the tanks are fuller?

/Mr Lynn
Ditto on traveling with empty tanks. However (Hold your nose here...) the only exception that comes to mind is if you have solids in the commode. You might need for time and motion to allow the toilet treatment to do it's work (i.e. break things down so it does not clog when drained). Clogging is less of a problem with the Scamp compared to some other RVs due to the design with a short drain, but it can still happen. And you might want more gray and/or fresh water on board to rinse out the tank and hose. But I have arranged things so that I never have solids in the black water tank, and I always empty the tanks at the end of an outing. Even with solids, I think I would empty the tanks. Others will tow with the extra weight and be OK with it. A little water on top of the seal will block odors and help it last longer also (only about an ounce is needed) and some will argue that the tank itself should not be left dry (but it works for me).

I also carry a small jug of water to "manually flush" the commode and that way I can use it on the road. I might have a gallon or two in the black tank then and that works fine too.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:13 AM   #15

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post

/Mr Lynn
Hi: Mr Lynn... I'd wait till the tanks are fuller... specially the grey one. Use it to rinse the hose after the black one is emptied. We use the Geo Method http://www.sites.google.com/site/cbruni for tank chems. We carry a small jug of bleach, laundry detergent, and Kalgon water softener and mix it in a 1/2 gal. juice bottle. Nothing special to buy and all standard laundry products. Safe for all septic systems too!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:57 PM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
What about the Odorloss and Happier Camper products
for use in a porta pottie?
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:28 PM   #17

Massachusetts
So now we have Alf using bleach (after water softener and laundry detergent), and others using products like Happy Campers and Odorlos, which claim to biodegrade effluent and argue against bleach, which kills the 'good bacteria'.

Color me confused.

Then there are folks we've met who say, "We don't do number two in the camper." But there's a reason why we bought a camper with a toilet. Number one was never really an issue when we were tent camping in the woods. . .

/Mr Lynn

Old 05-24-2016, 10:26 PM   #18

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
We always travel with empty tanks. That includes going home and between campgrounds.
I second that! Always dump the tanks before heading down the road.

One thing to keep in mind is that the black tanks on most of the fibreglass trailers are pretty small, so they do not need anywhere near the amount one would use in a larger trailer. If you use the amount normally recommend on the bottle you will find your bathroom smells of chemicals.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:28 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I prefer to use products that were designed for the intended use. I'm not a chemist.
I would just add as much water as you have available and then dump. If you have to drive a couple blocks to the dump, even better.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:31 PM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
What about the Odorloss and Happier Camper products
for use in a porta pottie?
John, we use the Happier Camper in our pora pottie and have good results.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote