Better economic times ahead... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #15
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
When we were looking at fiberglass rvs we saw one we liked that is manufactured in Canada. When we, as US citizens, inquired about purchasing a new one they said that due to importation laws Americans would not be allowed to bring a new one into the US. We could, however, bring in a used one.
When I checked the Escape website I found this answer in their FAQ section:
"There are no taxes or duties payable on the purchase of an Escape Trailer. When you arrive to take possession of your new Escape, we will provide you with all the necessary forms required by the border to import the trailer into the US. When crossing into the the US, a confirmation of the VIN is all that is necessary and you are on your way."
US citizens, what has been your experience?
Gilda, THEY need to learn about NAFTA

Old 10-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #16

Name: Dick
Trailer: Escape
Virginia
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
Hi. Tammy sent me all the registration paperwork and I picked up Virginia plates and registration before we left home. Coming back south (in Wyoming) took about 30 minutes to fill out one form, and part of that time was because they wanted to know how we already had tags. I am thinking if we had gone back out the way we came in (south of Chilliwack) the agents would have been more familiar with the process and passed us through about 15 minutes faster. Anyway--not a problem.

Dick

Old 10-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Gilda not an American but I can tell you without an hesitation that since the North American Free Trade agreement came onto being 94? any trailer built in the US or in Canada can be purchased by a citizen of one or the other country and no duty is paid. The only stipulation is that the trailer must meet the US and/or Canadian DOT requirements for running lights etc. Cant think of any fiberglass trailer being built in Canada or the US in the past decade or so that cant/dont meet that requirement - the requirement applies to trailers brand new as well as used ones. Kind of scratching my head as to why someone might have told you that you couldn't have a new one due to being a US Citizen. Was it an actual dealer that told you that? Trust me there are a whole lot of happy US Citizens who have had no problems purchasing a brand new Bigfoot and/or Escape and taking it home to the US. Just as there are many Canadians such as myself who had no problem purchasing a US built trailer and bringing it home to Canada.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
It is not necessarily customs but other federal and state's regulations. I inquired about the Alto Safari, a trailer made in Quebec. They said they do not meet US rules/specifications to be titled in the US. Escape has made sure they do meet all the applicable regulations and specifications. So titling an Escape is easy, Alto Safari maybe harder. Therefore importing the Escape was simple.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #19

Name: Ruth
Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe/'78 Trillium 1300
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson

Some people and some places fared better than those that made it into the media. The services that my industry provides are in such high demand that I was relatively unscathed. It also helped to be really frugal before and during the downturn.
Amen to frugality, Frederick. My friends in the workforce -- for another 10 years -- aren't laughing at me anymore for being such a cheapskate and skinflint. They stopped two years ago when I retired at 53. Of course, working with teenagers for 30 years can really help one's resolve!
Old 10-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #20

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
"I see some signs of recovery, other signs of weakening."

I'm definitely happy for Escape or any person or company that's doing well.

Unfortunately, and I mean unfortunately, the number of people on food stamps in the USA reached an all time high this month of 46,000,000, more than a 50% increase in the last four years.

Actually I find this a very scary situation fortunately not keeping me off the road but not so good for many of our fellow citizens.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #21

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
It is not necessarily customs but other federal and state's regulations. I inquired about the Alto Safari, a trailer made in Quebec. They said they do not meet US rules/specifications to be titled in the US. Escape has made sure they do meet all the applicable regulations and specifications. So titling an Escape is easy, Alto Safari maybe harder. Therefore importing the Escape was simple.
Jim she mentioned it was a fiberglass trailer they were looking for which reduces the number of manufactures in Canada down greatly!
Old 10-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #22

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I believe Alto is a fiberglass trailer, which is what the OP mentioned. But my point was the ease of customs with an Escape may not exist with other manufacturers due to other regulations.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #23

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Now available for sale to the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I believe Alto is a fiberglass trailer, which is what the OP mentioned.
Alto 1713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alto 1713
The walls and roof are a sandwich construction of a honeycomb core laminated with an aluminium skin on one side and an Alufiber skin on the other. Alufiber combines the light weight properties of aluminium with the resistance of fiberglass. The Alto is built exclusively from materials that are water resistant such as aluminium, Alufiber, plastic, Formica and glass.
Not molded fiberglass, but a combination composite of Aluminum and Fiberglass in the skin.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #24

Name: Anne
Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Oregon
Registry
Just as easy as the Escape FAQ says! I expected a lot more hassle. Apparently, the customs folks care a lot more about a $100 Cowitchan wool sweater (yes, there is an old story there) than a $18K trailer!
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #25

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne H View Post
Just as easy as the Escape FAQ says! I expected a lot more hassle. Apparently, the customs folks care a lot more about a $100 Cowitchan wool sweater (yes, there is an old story there) than a $18K trailer!
Was part of the story that it was knitted by Simon Charlie's granddaughter & they didnt think you only paid $100 for it?

Jim the safety regs that trailers going both ways must meet are covered both ways by Federal DOT regs. It covers things such as the markings on the running light lens and the position of them and how many etc. & along with a few other safety issues. That is the reason Escape had to supply you with a letter stating their trailer complied, just as Scamp had to give me one when I imported a trailer north bound. Also why I was required to take my trailer in for an inspection after it was imported to confirm it really did have what they said it did. I would be very surprised if any State had requirements that where different from those of the Feds as it would mean that car and trailer manufactures would need to build their products to sell only in specific states and thats not something I have heard of, have you?

Either way the DOT requirements apply to both new and used trailers under a certain age - going into Canada any trailer 16 years old or newer needs to meet the regs and I seem to recall the time frame is even longer on trailers heading south - 20 or 25 years??? So again the info the OP was given that she could not import a new one to the US but she could a used trailer just doesn't add up.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:05 PM   #26

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Cool Canadian Economy

And this despite $5 per gallon gasoline.
Attached Thumbnails
GEDC1912.jpg  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:05 PM   #27

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Thanks for clarification regarding importing trailers from Canada to USA. For me it's a non-issue now. We love our Scamp and we loved our recent 3 week trip to Vancouver Island, BC.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #28

British Columbia
Registry
Gilda just out of curiosity what moulded fiberglass trailer were you told you could not buy out of Canada if you were a US Citizen? I was wondering if perhaps it was because one of the fiberglass trailers that is made in Canada is also made in the US and wondered if perhaps they have some sort of licensing agreement between them or some such thing. Have no idea if they do or not but only possible explanation I could come up with for someone to tell you that.