Better economic times ahead... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #21

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
It is not necessarily customs but other federal and state's regulations. I inquired about the Alto Safari, a trailer made in Quebec. They said they do not meet US rules/specifications to be titled in the US. Escape has made sure they do meet all the applicable regulations and specifications. So titling an Escape is easy, Alto Safari maybe harder. Therefore importing the Escape was simple.
Jim she mentioned it was a fiberglass trailer they were looking for which reduces the number of manufactures in Canada down greatly!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #22

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I believe Alto is a fiberglass trailer, which is what the OP mentioned. But my point was the ease of customs with an Escape may not exist with other manufacturers due to other regulations.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #23

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Now available for sale to the US

Quote:
I believe Alto is a fiberglass trailer, which is what the OP mentioned.
Alto 1713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alto 1713
The walls and roof are a sandwich construction of a honeycomb core laminated with an aluminium skin on one side and an Alufiber skin on the other. Alufiber combines the light weight properties of aluminium with the resistance of fiberglass. The Alto is built exclusively from materials that are water resistant such as aluminium, Alufiber, plastic, Formica and glass.
Not molded fiberglass, but a combination composite of Aluminum and Fiberglass in the skin.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Just as easy as the Escape FAQ says! I expected a lot more hassle. Apparently, the customs folks care a lot more about a $100 Cowitchan wool sweater (yes, there is an old story there) than a $18K trailer!
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #25

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne H View Post
Just as easy as the Escape FAQ says! I expected a lot more hassle. Apparently, the customs folks care a lot more about a $100 Cowitchan wool sweater (yes, there is an old story there) than a $18K trailer!
Was part of the story that it was knitted by Simon Charlie's granddaughter & they didnt think you only paid $100 for it?

Jim the safety regs that trailers going both ways must meet are covered both ways by Federal DOT regs. It covers things such as the markings on the running light lens and the position of them and how many etc. & along with a few other safety issues. That is the reason Escape had to supply you with a letter stating their trailer complied, just as Scamp had to give me one when I imported a trailer north bound. Also why I was required to take my trailer in for an inspection after it was imported to confirm it really did have what they said it did. I would be very surprised if any State had requirements that where different from those of the Feds as it would mean that car and trailer manufactures would need to build their products to sell only in specific states and thats not something I have heard of, have you?

Either way the DOT requirements apply to both new and used trailers under a certain age - going into Canada any trailer 16 years old or newer needs to meet the regs and I seem to recall the time frame is even longer on trailers heading south - 20 or 25 years??? So again the info the OP was given that she could not import a new one to the US but she could a used trailer just doesn't add up.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Canadian Economy

And this despite $5 per gallon gasoline.
Attached Thumbnails
GEDC1912.jpg  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:05 PM   #27

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Thanks for clarification regarding importing trailers from Canada to USA. For me it's a non-issue now. We love our Scamp and we loved our recent 3 week trip to Vancouver Island, BC.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:53 AM   #28

Registry
Gilda just out of curiosity what moulded fiberglass trailer were you told you could not buy out of Canada if you were a US Citizen? I was wondering if perhaps it was because one of the fiberglass trailers that is made in Canada is also made in the US and wondered if perhaps they have some sort of licensing agreement between them or some such thing. Have no idea if they do or not but only possible explanation I could come up with for someone to tell you that.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #29

Pennsylvania
Registry
Not sure she was talking about a molded f/g vs regular f/g, she only mentioned f/g. That is why I mentioned the Alto, which told me they do not meet the Federal reg's and that is why they do not sell in the US. This maybe the manufacturer that has issues with import to US. We do not have enough info without second guessing.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #30

Registry
Quote:
We do not have enough info without second guessing.
Nope we dont which is why I asked.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #31

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
It also helped to be really frugal before and during the downturn.
For certain, it was not only those that suffered for geographical reasons, but many, many had far exceeded what they should have for debt.
Quote:
This is true, I keep forgetting how expensive everything was in Canada when I went to the Niagara rally last month. Seemed like the economy was booming!
Most goods and services in Canada are a fair bit higher than in the US, though wages are higher here as well to compensate. In my last trip to the US a month ago, I was talking to a friend in Southern Utah who said that most good carpenters were paid about $25/hr, and I have to pay up to $10 more to my guys.

My wife likes to stop before the border coming home to buy groceries. She claims stuff like butter, cheese, etc, are nearly half the price.

This is one reason that being a Snow Bird (a Canadian doing extended stays in warm US climates) is so popular. Make and save money here, and spend it in an area where goods are much cheaper.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
This is one reason that being a Snow Bird (a Canadian doing extended stays in warm US climates) is so popular. Make and save money here, and spend it in an area where goods are much cheaper.
I think of all the cross border shopping that goes on as Canadian's just wishing to helping a neighbour in need by supporting their economy.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I think of all the cross border shopping that goes on as Canadian's just wishing to helping a neighbour in need by supporting their economy.
We are a caring bunch.

From Calgary, cross border shopping is not such an easy thing to do though. The closest place of any size is Great Falls, Montana, and that is a good 5 hours away. Coeur d'Alene, Idaha, is about 7 hours. A bit for to drive to save money.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #34

California
Registry
Jim was right. It was the Alto Safari that we were investigating at the time. Sorry, it is not a molded fiberglass trailer. Since they told us we could not import their new trailer I, incorrectly, assumed that the rule applied to all Canadian trailers and I stopped looking at Canadian brands.
We saw few molded fiberglass trailers while camping in Canada recently but we saw a ton of Canadian made trailers and camper/trailers as you would predict. We also met a ton of Europeans traveling in rented camper/trailers. Seems to be a very popular way to travel for Europeans.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:29 AM   #35

Pennsylvania
Registry
Thank you for the update/additional information.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #36

Registry
Thanks Gilda for the clarification. What you were told makes some sense now, although still a little puzzled as to why they said you could have a used one but not a new one..... that still doesnt jive with the regs.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #37

California
Registry
I have no idea why they said I could bring a used RV to The States.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #38

Pennsylvania
Registry
Perhaps a missed communication.......now back to your regular broadcasting........better economic times ahead!!
Old 10-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #39

Registry
Quote:
Perhaps a missed communication.......now back to your regular broadcasting........better economic times ahead!!
LOL Jim, keep in mind that it was you who suggested that an better economic time in the US might be in the forecast due to the production schedule of Escape trailers, which does involve a little trailer exporting to the USA.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #40

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL Jim, keep in mind that it was you who suggested that an better economic time in the US might be in the forecast due to the production schedule of Escape trailers, which does involve a little trailer exporting to the USA.
Actually I was thinking more globally in my original post about worldwide economic conditions and with Canadian prospering, maybe the US will follow. Time will tell....