Better economic times ahead... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Better economic times ahead...

A quick check with Escape Trailer's production schedule indicates that not until June 2013 is there a full month available for production, all previous months are full or at least have some spots already reserved. It appears the Escape Trailers is busy and may be a good economic prognosticator of better times ahead.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:04 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
It's been that way for them all through the recession. That great reputation keeps spreading every year.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:15 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think Escape is doing so well because of fantastic customer service, progressive forward thinking and building a stellar product.

I can't wait to see the new 21 footer
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Yeah, companies like Escape will continue to do good.

Regardless of those who suffered from the latest economic downturn, there are still many who had their savings in sound investments and did not get hurt as bad as others. Many of these folks were at, or near, retirement and buying a quality trailer is a good way to spend it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The 21 footer is gonna be so nice. Thumbs up.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Jim are you still loving your Escape? Where is the Escape factory?
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
The Escape factory is in Chilliwack, BC.

Probably not the Jim you are asking, Steve, but I have had my Escape 19 for four full summer seasons now, and were are enjoying it immensely. A great product from a great company.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #8

Pennsylvania
Registry
My observations are only based upon my economic views, nothing else. I see some signs of recovery, other signs of weakening. Escape just seems to be a shining star in the sometimes gloom of economic prognosis.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
My observations are only based upon my economic views, nothing else. I see some signs of recovery, other signs of weakening. Escape just seems to be a shining star in the sometimes gloom of economic prognosis.
Keep in mind Jim that as hard as it might be to believe, Escape is actually a Canadian company and not all Escape trailers are sold to the USA. Canada did not/has not suffered the same economic downturn that the USA did/has.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question Ression? What Ression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
... there are still many who had their savings in sound investments and did not get hurt as bad as others.
Some people and some places fared better than those that made it into the media. The services that my industry provides are in such high demand that I was relatively unscathed. It also helped to be really frugal before and during the downturn.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #11

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Keep in mind Jim that as hard as it might be to believe, Escape is actually a Canadian company and not all Escape trailers are sold to the USA. Canada did not/has not suffered the same economic downturn that the USA did/has.
This is true, I keep forgetting how expensive everything was in Canada when I went to the Niagara rally last month. Seemed like the economy was booming!
Old 10-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
This is true, I keep forgetting how expensive everything was in Canada when I went to the Niagara rally last month. Seemed like the economy was booming!
Yup most economist agree Canada for the most part avoid the stormy economy that the US has endured over the past few years. Despite that there are many on the streets of Canada who would suggest that big shake ups are needed with our top brass, as the are blissfully unaware as to how bad things really got to the south. Those of us who traveled in the US over the past few years know how tough things got so we feel very differently about it and are very grateful for small blessings.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #13

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I think Escape is doing so well because of fantastic customer service, progressive forward thinking and building a stellar product.

I can't wait to see the new 21 footer
X's 2
BigLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #14

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
US citizens: what has been your experience in importing camper trailers from Canada?

When we were looking at fiberglass rvs we saw one we liked that is manufactured in Canada. When we, as US citizens, inquired about purchasing a new one they said that due to importation laws Americans would not be allowed to bring a new one into the US. We could, however, bring in a used one.
When I checked the Escape website I found this answer in their FAQ section:
"There are no taxes or duties payable on the purchase of an Escape Trailer. When you arrive to take possession of your new Escape, we will provide you with all the necessary forms required by the border to import the trailer into the US. When crossing into the the US, a confirmation of the VIN is all that is necessary and you are on your way."
US citizens, what has been your experience?
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #15
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
When we were looking at fiberglass rvs we saw one we liked that is manufactured in Canada. When we, as US citizens, inquired about purchasing a new one they said that due to importation laws Americans would not be allowed to bring a new one into the US. We could, however, bring in a used one.
When I checked the Escape website I found this answer in their FAQ section:
"There are no taxes or duties payable on the purchase of an Escape Trailer. When you arrive to take possession of your new Escape, we will provide you with all the necessary forms required by the border to import the trailer into the US. When crossing into the the US, a confirmation of the VIN is all that is necessary and you are on your way."
US citizens, what has been your experience?
Gilda, THEY need to learn about NAFTA
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #16

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
Hi. Tammy sent me all the registration paperwork and I picked up Virginia plates and registration before we left home. Coming back south (in Wyoming) took about 30 minutes to fill out one form, and part of that time was because they wanted to know how we already had tags. I am thinking if we had gone back out the way we came in (south of Chilliwack) the agents would have been more familiar with the process and passed us through about 15 minutes faster. Anyway--not a problem.

Dick
Dick & Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #17

Registry
Gilda not an American but I can tell you without an hesitation that since the North American Free Trade agreement came onto being 94? any trailer built in the US or in Canada can be purchased by a citizen of one or the other country and no duty is paid. The only stipulation is that the trailer must meet the US and/or Canadian DOT requirements for running lights etc. Cant think of any fiberglass trailer being built in Canada or the US in the past decade or so that cant/dont meet that requirement - the requirement applies to trailers brand new as well as used ones. Kind of scratching my head as to why someone might have told you that you couldn't have a new one due to being a US Citizen. Was it an actual dealer that told you that? Trust me there are a whole lot of happy US Citizens who have had no problems purchasing a brand new Bigfoot and/or Escape and taking it home to the US. Just as there are many Canadians such as myself who had no problem purchasing a US built trailer and bringing it home to Canada.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #18

Pennsylvania
Registry
It is not necessarily customs but other federal and state's regulations. I inquired about the Alto Safari, a trailer made in Quebec. They said they do not meet US rules/specifications to be titled in the US. Escape has made sure they do meet all the applicable regulations and specifications. So titling an Escape is easy, Alto Safari maybe harder. Therefore importing the Escape was simple.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #19

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson

Some people and some places fared better than those that made it into the media. The services that my industry provides are in such high demand that I was relatively unscathed. It also helped to be really frugal before and during the downturn.
Amen to frugality, Frederick. My friends in the workforce -- for another 10 years -- aren't laughing at me anymore for being such a cheapskate and skinflint. They stopped two years ago when I retired at 53. Of course, working with teenagers for 30 years can really help one's resolve!
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #20

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
"I see some signs of recovery, other signs of weakening."

I'm definitely happy for Escape or any person or company that's doing well.

Unfortunately, and I mean unfortunately, the number of people on food stamps in the USA reached an all time high this month of 46,000,000, more than a 50% increase in the last four years.

Actually I find this a very scary situation fortunately not keeping me off the road but not so good for many of our fellow citizens.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote