Bias vs Radial Tires - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2007, 04:14 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Thumbs up

Bias vs Radial Tires. Would Bias tires solve any of the problems the eggs have been having with tires?

Our Scamp has 13" Radials but I have noticed you can get a higher load range in 13" with Bias than many sell in Radials. Would this work? Be a better obtion?
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:22 PM   #2

Trailer: Eco 12 ft
Quote:
Bias vs Radial Tires. Would Bias tires solve any of the problems the eggs have been having with tires?

Our Scamp has 13" Radials but I have noticed you can get a higher load range in 13" with Bias than many sell in Radials. Would this work? Be a better obtion?
NO!!!

Trust me, Bias tires in a light trailer, are BAD karma

The old school bias tires flatspot after being parked for more then a few hours, and at ~1500lbs per tire, will take 30-50 miles to fully warm up and round out again. Until then, imagine the contents of your trailer as a marble inside a martini shaker, operated by a hyperactive bartender with a caffeine addiction

I have bias ply's on one of the DD's currently, and there is a reason that all modern highway tires are radial construction

Matt
Matt O'Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:53 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
A higher load range than required seems like the wrong answer, and makes me wonder what the question was in the first place: what problem would be solved by this? Is the problem tire too small for the load, too poorly constructed, or being asked to do too much by poor suspension, perhaps?

Quote:
... there is a reason that all modern highway tires are radial construction
I second that thought! Since the tires on every axle (including the trailer) of the biggest rigs are now normally radials, I think the message is quite clear. Even off-road tires for serious applications (large agricultural tractors, open pit mine trucks the size of your house...) have been radials for years.

I suspect that the availability of small tires in high load ranges as bias plys (and not radials) indicates only that mainstream tire manufacturers see insufficient market for those size/load applications to bother making radials for them. I doubt there are many (if any) eggs which need a load range higher than C (50 psi inflation pressure) to meet the load requirements in a reasonable tire size, and only trailers with unusually small tires (such as the Fiber Stream, due to its tandem axles) would need a size outside of the range covered by the all-radial Goodyear Marathon (for an example) line.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:43 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There's a conversation going on over at CasitaForum about Kumho tires. Evidently Gene (webmaster) runs them and is very satisfied. Also within this topic is a link to a Loading Chart.

Interesting Fact about Trailer Tires
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:50 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul
I've read hundreds of opinions on the subject of bias versus radial tires on travel trailers and pop-ups on many different websites. The one thing most people agree on is that radial tires are the best way to go, as long as you don't have weight concerns. Another thing I've found that most folks agree on is that Carlisle tires are pure JUNK. I've read story after story where the Carlisle's either wore out after 5,000 miles or the treads started to seperate from the tire and other stories of blowouts on tires with barely any mileage on them.

The one tire I've found that everyone agrees is an excellent tire is Duro. I've been running Duro "ST" radial tires on my trailers for the past 5 years and can honestly say that they're the BEST tire you can put on your TT, bar none. I had Duro's on my pop-up camper and they still looked brand new after 7,000 miles when I sold that trailer.

Here's the tires I recently put on my U-Haul...

http://www.tiresunlimited.com/images/duro/DS2100.jpg

Here's where I got 'em... (and the folks there are GREAT!)

http://www.tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRES/...er_tires_ST.htm

They cost a bit more than the Carlisle's, but you certainly get what you pay for... tough, smooth-trailing tires that LAST!!!
Buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:46 PM   #6

Quote:
There's a conversation going on over at CasitaForum about Kumho tires. Evidently Gene (webmaster) runs them and is very satisfied. Also within this topic is a link to a Loading Chart.

Interesting Fact about Trailer Tires
While people have provided working links to the Casita Forum in the past, I have noticed recently that such links produce an error message, requesting registration. The link is not to some special member feature; it is simply to a specific topic (thread). Now, I can't even browse down from the top level of the forum without registering... so I registered my Boler in the Casita forum! Now I am required to log in to follow the link, but it works...

For those not wanting to register at Casita Forum, the loading chart is the often-referenced Goodyear RV Load/Inflation Information, which is linked from various points in Goodyear's RV section, including the Marathon trailer tire page.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:06 PM   #7

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Being new to this and not having taken our 13 Scamp on it's inaugural trip yet(still in renovation), I haven't even thought about the tires yet.
Tires had just been replaced when I bought it and it looks like I have Buck's dreaded Carlisle USA Trail tires.

What do you inflate these tires to for a typical Scamp 13? Looks like the range is 32-50 PSI on the tire sidewall
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:20 PM   #8

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Hi,

My Casita came with Marathons...one of which threw a chunk of rubber during our third long trip...this time to the Maratimes last summer (less than 10,000 miles and a little over a year old-tire pressure checked evertime they rolled). I switched to Kumhos as they have a D load range.

Question: What tires do heavier trailers like Bigfoot 21's come standard with?

Rand:-)
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:23 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
While people have provided working links to the Casita Forum in the past, I have noticed recently that such links produce an error message, requesting registration.
Brian, et al...I spoke with Gene about the error some were receiving trying to view the linked topics, and YES, he has now restricted a number of the forums to members only. Blame the hackers, crackers and spam bots. He's sorry, but "guests" were really starting to play havoc with his forum. Since FiberglassRV and CasitaForum both use the same brand software, webguy here will PROBABLY be looking to do the same IN THE FUTURE maybe. I'll continue to post links when it's appropriate, but if you're not a member of the CasitaForum you probably won't be able to view the info...but, we're kind of used to that because of YahooScampers, Bolerama, etc.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
I hate to be a wise guy with all the above opinions but, is that why UHaul still uses bias belt tires?? I had some UHauls on my 17' Casita that I bought from a tire guy that lost his contract with Uhaul, he balanced them for me and I ran them for about 20,000 miles before one of them wore out. The other is my spare. If I could find another set of them I buy them in a heartbeat but they are made exclusively for UHaul. Uhaul does not want to be out on the road fixing tires so through a bunch of experimenting they have found one that works for them. Ya can't argue with success
Old 04-07-2007, 06:39 AM   #11

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Would Bias tires solve any of the problems the eggs have been having with tires?
Specifically, to what problems are you referring? I wasn't aware of any.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:41 AM   #12

Trailer: Trillium 4500
My friend has a Scamp 16' Deluxe that has 13" Goodyears on it. We weighed each wheel and he within a 100# of the tire rating on one side and he wasn't loaded for a trip. We'll re-weigh when he loads the trailer this spring. Did I read here somewhere that tires should be derated for age? I wonder about the heat and other stresses that happen to a tire that is constantly running at its rated maximum. When these trailers were first produced they were simple and light weight. They seem to accumulate more options and deluxe packages over the years, yet retain the original tires. Are any members actual tire industry engineers?
David Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:42 AM   #13

There are a number of tire-related threads here and on most other RV-related forums.

I found this link that Steve L. posted on another thread to the Rubber Manufacturer's Assn. RV Tire guide:

RV Tire Guide

Most of the problems associated with RV tires seem to be over loading for the rating, and under-inflation. The general consensus of sources I've read seems to be that RV tires probably ought to be replaced after about five years regardless of tread or sidewall visual condition.

Roger
Old 04-07-2007, 07:59 AM   #14

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Thanks Roger,
I will down load and send the guide off to my friend. If the tires are running at or above their rating right off the factory floor, it doesn't leave room to add the basics of traveling.
Once again, Dave
David Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 01:39 PM   #15

I would be surprised if the tires on a trailer from a reputable manufacturer were at their rated capacity "off the factory floor", which means at the unloaded vehicle weight. The axle capacity rating is controlled by the least capable component, including the tires, and tires are selected to at least meet the required rating; I've seen cases in which the tires are the most limiting element. If they were good only for UVW, then the cargo capacity would be zero... and I would be checking the axle rating as well.

I agree that this class of trailer is getting heavier with time, for the same size and in many cases for exactly the same fiberglass shell. There have been upgrades in tire sizes and ratings in some brands and models. If some manufacturer has not been adjusting appropriately, they should be challenged on that, but I was not aware that any of our current egg brands would fall into that category.

The factory spec web page for the Scamp 16' says it includes "Tire 13" C rating". The two 13" sizes of Goodyear Marathon in load range C (ST175/80R13 and ST185/80R13) have load ratings of 1360 lb and 1480 lb. According to recent posts, a Custom Deluxe Scamp 16' could easily have a UVW (or at least a wet no-cargo weight) at the limit of the ST175/80R13, and even the ST185/80R13 would have little if any usable cargo capacity. If this size and type of tire came on a trailer of this weight which I bought, I would not accept it. Do we know specifically which tires were provided, and what the UVW was?

Another factor to keep in mind is changing standards: when my Boler was built in 1979 the "ST" (Special Trailer), "LT" (Light Truck) and "P" (Passenger) tire specs didn't exist, and an ordinary F78-14 car tire operating at 32PSI was interchangeable with a trailer tire, and suited to the trailer. Now, an ST205/75R14 and a P205/75R14 have different load ratings (at the same pressure) for trailer service, and the "car tire" of that size which was rated suitably then is no longer good enough. I'm sure the P205/75R14 is a better tire than the original equipment... but standards have been elevated.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:12 PM   #16

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
Here is a link that works for the Kumho D rated tires
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?ma...odel=Radial+857

Tire 205/0QR14 D will give you more bang for the buck and saftey. If you click on Serv. Desc: 109/107Q under Trailer Use Only, you will find the charts with lots of info on speed , weight and psi.

I had a blow-out driver side last Monday on I-75 with the Goodyear Marathons that believe me a large number of folks are haveing trouble with. I was in the center lane and it was not a pleasant experience. I had to get the egg to the side and then I pulled as far in the grass as I could. I had to change it myself. I ordered my tires Tuesday and they were here Thursday. The egg was not going on the road again with the Goodyear tires.

I am lucky to be here and I want tires that I can have peace of mind with.

If you have trouble with the link or the charts, please let me know and I will post pictures of them for you.

PS If you think Goodyear are Made in the USA, think again!
Susan Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:57 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Unhappy

Quote:
I had a blow-out driver side last Monday on I-75 with the Goodyear Marathons that believe me a large number of folks are haveing trouble with.
Roger, this is the problems I was refering to.

Thanks to all for all the info and advise, I have been reading a lot about Casita tires and blow-outs, etc. in other forums and have been wondering about the 13" ones Scamp has. And what I should replace them with when that time arrives.

Has any Scamp owners replaced the 13" wheels with larger; if so is there a big need to do so?

Thanks, again.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 06:22 AM   #18

Quote:
Roger, this is the problems I was refering to.

Thanks to all for all the info and advise, I have been reading a lot about Casita tires and blow-outs, etc. in other forums and have been wondering about the 13" ones Scamp has. And what I should replace them with when that time arrives.

Has any Scamp owners replaced the 13" wheels with larger; if so is there a big need to do so?

Thanks, again.
Adrian, the problem with these anecdotal reports is that there isn't any investigation that's going on to determine if, in fact, the tires are defective or what the common thread is among them. If I had to guess, it sounds like the manufacturers are overloading them going out the door from the factory. They'll put up with a certain amount of abuse, but eventually they fail, most likely from heat deteriorating the sidewall as a result of overload/underinflation/age, but that doesn't necessarily mean the tires are defective and "a problem". The 19' Scamps had/have issues with 13" tire failures as a result of overloading. A 13" "C" range tire would be underrated for a 17' Casita... and perhaps at it's load rating for some of the 16' Scamp custom deluxe trailers when dry; although I had no problems with mine.

I ran Marathons on all of my Airstreams without a failure for years. I also replaced them after their fifth season of use regardless of mileage or wear, although when I bought my tri-axle, four of the six Marathons were nine years old.

BTW, Bigfoot runs "C" range ST225/75R15 tires on all of their trailers.

Roger
Old 04-08-2007, 09:05 AM   #19

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
One thing that seems not to be general knowledge is that some of the tire failures are due to valve stem failures. I had a valve stem fail and destroy a tire. A few months later the same thing happened to a friend. Metal valve stems solve that problem.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:28 AM   #20

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
Quote:
Adrian, the problem with these anecdotal reports is that there isn't any investigation that's going on to determine if, in fact, the tires are defective or what the common thread is among them. If I had to guess, it sounds like the manufacturers are overloading them going out the door from the factory. They'll put up with a certain amount of abuse, but eventually they fail, most likely from heat deteriorating the sidewall as a result of overload/underinflation/age, but that doesn't necessarily mean the tires are defective and "a problem".
Roger
In reference to "anecdotal reports", I did the research and with campers and boat trailers there was listed an 80% failer rate on the Radial Marathon Tires. Enough to worry me.

I think you are exactly correct that the manufacturers are overloading them going out the door from the factory, or so close to it that if you just put bare necessities in the egg, you are above max weight.

Just for the record, I weighed mine before the trip and I was not overweight on either axel. I had the correct 50 psi, the tires were not old, and I did not exceed th 55-60 mph recomended speed for the tire. I have read too many failer reports on other forums, like Adrian, and just wanted to share what I learned. I did not change to a different tire before the trip and I was sorry.
Susan Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires