Bicycling while camping - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-25-2012, 09:29 AM   #15

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I retired my heavy mountain bike last year for a hybrid style bike - cross between a trail bike and a road bike. I wanted the flexibility when traveling to have a bike that could handle the gravel or sandy paths etc around campgrounds and parks and one that didnt take a lot of effort to move quickly along paved roads. Most importantly I wanted a bike that was light enough for me to be able to lift it up onto the roof of my car on my own - something I struggled with on my old bike. Ended up with a Cannondale Quick with Carbon components. Although I admit I did change the seat out to something a little more comfortable than what came with it :-) I have a insulated handle bar pack that I use to stuff cold things into when shopping and carry a small back pack to take the rest of the grocery items. Besides being able to actually put it on top of the car on my own I love that I dont have a great deal of trouble keeping up with my travel partner on the roads as they are riding a very light weight Lance Armstrong style road bike that goes fast with little trouble - but they sure cant ride it off the pavement as I can with mine!

Carol, the Cannondale quick was really the bike I wanted, but ended up purchasing a Fuji hybrid. Consumer Reports rated the Fuji very high, but from being a Cannondale owner for many moons, the Cannondale is simply the best I have ever owned. Sadly my wife and I have a Cannondale tandem road bike that sits in the garage and is in showroom condition: We have owned it for 4 years and it has less than 25 miles on it. My wife also has a Trek. Maybe I need to sell the tandem and buy the quick like I had planned. Anyway, good to see so many people on here biking. So much easier on the leg joints!

Old 10-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #16

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
i know there are other bike museums,,this is the one we went to and loved. if you ever get to new bremen ohio, i recomend it.

Bicycle Museum of America

Old 10-25-2012, 10:48 AM   #17

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
There is a bike out there to fit everyone's riding needs, no matter what they are. I always suggest going to a few bike shops until you find one you like the service in, and have them go over things with you. You may be surprised to find a style that suits your needs better than what you were already thinking.

My wife rides a hybrid like Carol described, and really enjoys it. It is a bit heavier than a mountain bike, but not much.

I on the other hand am buying a new full suspension 29"(rim) bike for next year. I am fairly young yet at 55, and love trail riding, both hill climbing and blasting downhill runs. I am keeping my old mountain bike with smoother tires on it for riding around town, which will likely accompany me on most trailer trips. Gotta keep this aging body in good shape so I can enjoy things in retirement.

I have ridden the Townie style before, and while very comfy to ride, they are not very good on the performance end of things.

We have a 2" receiver on the back of our trailer, and use a Swagman G2 2‑Bike Hitch Rack. We both enjoy finding trails to ride, as well as just generally tripping around campsites and in town.
I had already owned a couple of really good bikes from the 60's and 70's, when I did just what you suggest. Determined to find "the best bike in the world" I went shopping... I found my 1989 Trek 820. After 23 years and untold miles, I still have found nothing new to equal this bike. I have had several other bikes over the years and checked out new ones as they came along.
This year I found a practically Brand New 1989 Trek 820 for sale and snatched it up immediately.
I have made a few updates on my old bike,like sealed crankset bearings and ergo grips. I have placed my "new 820" on a wall bracket awaiting the day when I might make the switch (another 23 years?).
I have "dialed in" my recently purchased Trek 700 and it is a smooth and easy ride. I will keep it, but my old 820 will still be "My Bike".
I say all this to reinforce your point, get a good bike that fits you and your riding style... It's worth the time, expense and effort.

Most new bikes are aluminum and have suspension in the forks and seat posts, they are well engineered and provide a nice experience for most buyers.
"My Bike" is all CRO-MO with no suspension, and I just can not adapt to aluminum or to suspension components.

I have found that transporting a bike is generally worse on it than riding,so I may use my old bike when I need to transport and keep my shiny new one for at home use.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #18

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
I believe it is.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #19

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Wow. You guys are serious bike riders.

Not owning a bicycle after my single speed, coaster brake, cruiser was stolen; I decided on impulse to get a couple of folding bikes to take camping.

Adventurer six speed folding bike
Old 10-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #20

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I have found that transporting a bike is generally worse on it than riding,so I may use my old bike when I need to transport and keep my shiny new one for at home use.
I haven't found that to be the problem, but constantly putting a good bike "away" is a PITA. I have a nearly 20 year old Huffy... perfect for camping, getting a bit long in the tooth (like me) and spots of rust. I call it my Beach Bike and it gets me down the road and around the campground just as well as any of my other good bikes. I'm into having fun and less worry when camping. Now, if I was going to MOAB.. that would be a different story.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #21

Name: Scott
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner
Georgia
Folding Bike fits Inside Trailer or Tug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Not owning a bicycle after my single speed, coaster brake, cruiser was stolen; I decided on impulse to get a couple of folding bikes to take camping.
Similar story here. Stopped by local CW store one day to see how these looked. They pulled one out of the warehouse, and I was pleasantly surprised with it. Had planned to just look, but then they baited me with their promotions. One was the free carrying bag with purchase. The other aw 30% off purchase of two bicycles. I jokingly asked I they would combine the deals if I bought two, expecting them to say no; manager said sure, so I pounced on it. I figured if I got them home and we didn't like the we could return them. Got out of there at the sale price (same as Internet price), less another 30%, plus the two free carrying bags. This was my first visit to their store, so I really didn't know if they did this kind of thing all the time or not, but I sure felt special at the time.

Wife fell in love with hers because seating position is more upright than her old clunker. It's not the lightest cycle out there, but it does fit easily inside the car and/or trailer, which means it will stay dry when driving somewhere in the rain.

One drawback to these bikes is that the smaller frame and wheel size means a shorter crankset. Be prepared to pedal faster and in a smaller stroke if you decide to get one of these. I don't know for sure if the 12-speed has a longer crankset than the single speed or six speed models, but it would seem logical since it has larger wheels.

Ours are still fairly new, so we will have to wait and see how well they hold up as we use them. Very pleased so far.

Adventurer 12-Speed Folding Bike
Old 10-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #22

Name: Dorothy
Trailer: currently shopping
Minnesota
Scamp rear hitch

When we bought our 1998 Scamp this June, it had a hitch and bike rack on the back of the trailer. We took it off before we even arrived back in Minnesota. The unloaded rack bounced around and scratched the trailer. There is too much flex in the hitch bar. Anybody have ideas or experience with this problem?
Old 10-25-2012, 09:51 PM   #23

Name: Mimi
Trailer: Parkliner
Florida
Those folding bikes are neat. One the way back from our last weekend, I was talking to Mr. about how in a few years the kids will want to bring bikes, where and how are we going to carry 4 bikes... this may be the solution. Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-25-2012, 11:58 PM   #24

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Now, if I was going to MOAB.. that would be a different story.
No doubt. We were in Bryce Canyon and Zion for a couple weeks a few weeks back, and I had this longing to go further east to Moab, and do some serious riding. There was just not enough time to take that in too, but I will be back. We did ride around a bit where we were, but not as much as I would have liked. I know a bunch of riders that have been there, and it sounds like a veritable mountain biking playground.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #25

Michigan
if your interested in folding bikes the brompton is the gold standard. there are other options also that make great folders. you can even get lugs to convert your regular bike to a breakdown bike. check out "bicycle times" magazine online to research some options
Old 10-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #26

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
bill is the erie canal towpath used? i thought that would be a great ride.
My sister lives in upstate NY. They ride their bikes on the towpath all the time - beautiful area! Parks & Trails New York - Canalway Trail

We have Dahon folding mountain bikes - love them but they are fairly heavy so as we've gotten a few years older we don't fold them and put them on the roof of the TV anymore - we carry them on a bike rack on the back of the Casita. Here's a pic of Dave on the bike path on the Longbeach peninsula in Washington.
Attached Thumbnails
photo.JPG  

Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #27

Michigan
awsome , i love canal towpaths. theres a great one running out of washington d.c.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:17 PM   #28

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Question Hitch from Factory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dot View Post
When we bought our 1998 Scamp this June, it had a hitch and bike rack on the back of the trailer. We took it off before we even arrived back in Minnesota. The unloaded rack bounced around and scratched the trailer. There is too much flex in the hitch bar. Anybody have ideas or experience with this problem?
We had the folks at the Scamp Factory to build our Scamp (2005) with the hitch installed. We have not had any problem with the hitch itself. I assume "too much flex in the hitch bar" is referring to the bike rack.....too much flexing of the bike rack?

We have used a regular bike rack (a sturdy tube with "hitch bar" to connect to the hitch on the Scamp then makes a sharp 90* angle up, then a another 90* with run of 20" or so with a place to attach 3 bikes. It never flexed enough to scratch the trailer, much too far from it.

I later added bike "tie downs" to a bumper carrier. Carried two bikes at time as well as other things. No problems of too much flexing.

Could be the design of your bike carrier is poor or the hitch is not securely attached to the bumper.

Should not be leaving scratches on the trailer.