Bicycling while camping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Bicycling while camping

ok since we did a thread on boating,,heres one on bicycles.
every tow and trailer combo has to sort out how to carry bikes for themselves clearly. in our case we usually pull with my ranger , so the bikes go in the bed of the truck,,,,but,,,we got the hitch installed at the scamp so we can put a bike rack and two bikes on the back of the trailer. our bikes are light , and so is the rack, but i can feel the difference in the trailer. but its not significant.
now as to our bikes? well, wife is 5....uh never mind that part,,,but i'm 61 so we are not under the delusion w are mr and mrs lance armstrong or anything, we just like to go for a ride.
so we don't use mountainbikes or road racers.my wifes bike is an electra townie 3 speed. with fenders and a front basket. very easy bike to ride. has a forward set crank position that allows her to put her feet flat on the ground when stopped. i liked hers so much i wanted one like it. i choose a trek pure 7 speed, almost the same design. mine has had wald wire baskets added front and rear as i like to go shopping with my bike, and when on a fishing trip i can carry my stuff in them.
we also love to pack a lunch and head off to explore and have a nice picknic along the way. i will be adding fenders to my bike soon.
with the addition of our bikes we open up all sorts of places to go camp, just because they have someplace cool to go for a ride. and of course most campgrounds now have riding trails and paths.
if any of the older,,,scratch that,,, make it,,, more experianced peopleare looking for a bike,i recomend these two.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
ok since we did a thread on boating,,heres one on bicycles.
every tow and trailer combo has to sort out how to carry bikes for themselves clearly. in our case we usually pull with my ranger , so the bikes go in the bed of the truck,,,,but,,,we got the hitch installed at the scamp so we can put a bike rack and two bikes on the back of the trailer. our bikes are light , and so is the rack, but i can feel the difference in the trailer. but its not significant.
now as to our bikes? well, wife is 5....uh never mind that part,,,but i'm 61 so we are not under the delusion w are mr and mrs lance armstrong or anything, we just like to go for a ride.
so we don't use mountainbikes or road racers.my wifes bike is an electra townie 3 speed. with fenders and a front basket. very easy bike to ride. has a forward set crank position that allows her to put her feet flat on the ground when stopped. i liked hers so much i wanted one like it. i choose a trek pure 7 speed, almost the same design. mine has had wald wire baskets added front and rear as i like to go shopping with my bike, and when on a fishing trip i can carry my stuff in them.
we also love to pack a lunch and head off to explore and have a nice picknic along the way. i will be adding fenders to my bike soon.
with the addition of our bikes we open up all sorts of places to go camp, just because they have someplace cool to go for a ride. and of course most campgrounds now have riding trails and paths.
if any of the older,,,scratch that,,, make it,,, more experianced peopleare looking for a bike,i recomend these two.
I was in at the Schwinn dealer recently and he had some bikes like you describe your wife's bike.
He called it a recumbent, I guess for lack of a better term. It looks like a nice cruiser which really is what "Day6" calls a "Comfort Bike".
Years ago, Giant made a semi-recumbent bike called a "Revive" which was a couple of steps more radical than yours. I really liked it but ended up with a steel "Rebike" (now gone).
I have two 1989 Trek 820s (for street), an '89 TreK 800 (for trail), And I just bought a '98 Trek 700 (Hoping for more distance)..
I'm 60 but I never could tolerate a road bike.
The Day6 is a great design for real upright comfort and slow cruisin'.
It is about one step more radical than your Electra.
Maybe someday...

Anyone(without severe health problems) who would like to ride, can find an appropriate bike to fit their needs from the wide variety available nowadays.

Here are some photos, first the Day6, then the townie...
Attached Thumbnails
JourneyWhite.jpg   184144_main.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
John - we have the same setup you do. I just bought a Townie last year and love it. Gave my Giant bike to my niece. The Townie is way more comfortable than the mountain bike. Spouse has a Trek. We haven't yet figured out how to take them along when we camp if we're also taking the canoe. We have a Thule rack on the truck, with Thule canoe carriers. I don't like the idea of laying the bikes down in the bed of the truck so right now it's take either the canoe or the bikes.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #4

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I was in at the Schwinn dealer recently and he had some bikes like you describe your wife's bike.
He called it a recumbent, I guess for lack of a better term. It looks like a nice cruiser which really is what "Day6" calls a "Comfort Bike".
Years ago, Giant made a semi-recumbent bike called a "Revive" which was a couple of steps more radical than yours. I really liked it but ended up with a steel "Rebike" (now gone).
I have two 1989 Trek 820s (for street), an '89 TreK 800 (for trail), And I just bought a '98 Trek 700 (Hoping for more distance)..
I'm 60 but I never could tolerate a road bike.
The Day6 is a great design for real upright comfort and slow cruisin'.
It is about one step more radical than your Electra.
Maybe someday...

Anyone(without severe health problems) who would like to ride, can find an appropriate bike to fit their needs from the wide variety available nowadays.

Here are some photos, first the Day6, then the townie...
the townie is what both our bikes are like,,,that other one looks great for someone that needs a little back support too. though you have to step through rather then throw your leg over like i'm used to.
i have a rack made for the back of my truck that holds the bikes upright. then at the park i can use the rack for parking the bikes too.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I retired my heavy mountain bike last year for a hybrid style bike - cross between a trail bike and a road bike. I wanted the flexibility when traveling to have a bike that could handle the gravel or sandy paths etc around campgrounds and parks and one that didnt take a lot of effort to move quickly along paved roads. Most importantly I wanted a bike that was light enough for me to be able to lift it up onto the roof of my car on my own - something I struggled with on my old bike. Ended up with a Cannondale Quick with Carbon components. Although I admit I did change the seat out to something a little more comfortable than what came with it :-) I have a insulated handle bar pack that I use to stuff cold things into when shopping and carry a small back pack to take the rest of the grocery items. Besides being able to actually put it on top of the car on my own I love that I dont have a great deal of trouble keeping up with my travel partner on the roads as they are riding a very light weight Lance Armstrong style road bike that goes fast with little trouble - but they sure cant ride it off the pavement as I can with mine!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #6

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Registry
I have one of those trunk mount bike racks that I use on the back end of my SUV.

(like this: http://www.lakelandgear.com/images/s...06%20strap.jpg)

We haven't taken our camper out yet (been fixing things since we bought it in Sept). I do plan to use the rack for me and my wife's bikes and put the kids bikes in the trailer (2 and 4 yr old so they're small bikes). I thought about one of these: Curt Multipurpose Ball Mount with 2" Receiver for Bike Racks and Cargo Carriers - 7,500 lbs Curt Ball Mounts D210
and adding a hitch mounted bike rack.

but since I already have the other I'll keep the weight off the tongue and use it. It only prevents me from opening the glass (which I tend to do most of the time) but I figure anything like a cooler I'd need access to on the drive can go in the camper near the door so I can get to it easy.
My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #7

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Just bought a recumbent trike. It's like riding a lazy boy recliner. Taking it to Lake Casitas this weekend, hope to get some miles on it.
Here's a picture of one like it...mine is bubble gum pink.
Attached Thumbnails
BENT2.jpg  

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #8

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
We always travel with one of our tandems. We have a sport tourer we use on the roads and a hybrid we use primarily off road. Since our Lil Snoozy has the door in the back we have a tandem rack on the roof of our tug. And at 61 years old also, I know what you mean about not being Lance Armstrong. Just 10 years ago a 50 mile day with hills and pulling our gear in a trailer was not unusual, now half of that distance.
I tried to get some interest in biking from others at the June fiberglass rally in Central Pa, but we were the only bikers. We do get much use out of our bikes while camping. The road tandem is ready to roll over 9 thousand miles. We have a fourth of that on the hybrid tandem and slightly more than 8 thousand miles on my solo Jamis.
But as I was saying, at 61, the miles are not adding up as fast as they used to.
If anyone is interested in organizing a camping trip next summer within a few hundred miles of Pittsburgh, count us in barring any schedule conflicts.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #9

Michigan
marsha, one option is to have a hitch installed under the front of your truck. then use a hitch carrier up front. we had one like that on our motor home for years.
also, depending on space out back, between your truck and trailer, they have a stacked hitch where the bottom one holds you tow bar, the top a bike rack.
or,,,,,, bike one trip,,,paddle the next.

and for an interesting gathering, one in ohio near the bicycle museum might be fun. we went there and took ut bikes to ride along the canal tow path
Old 10-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #10

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighth001 View Post

but since I already have the other I'll keep the weight off the tongue and use it. It only prevents me from opening the glass (which I tend to do most of the time) but I figure anything like a cooler I'd need access to on the drive can go in the camper near the door so I can get to it easy.
You should bear in mind that while the weight at the back of your tow vehicle isn't technically "on the tongue" of your trailer, it must be included when looking at your vehicle's hitch weight limit.

Don't know what that is in your case, but the weight of the rack/bikes at that point has to be subtracted and enough left over for the tongue weight of the trailer...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
There is a bike out there to fit everyone's riding needs, no matter what they are. I always suggest going to a few bike shops until you find one you like the service in, and have them go over things with you. You may be surprised to find a style that suits your needs better than what you were already thinking.

My wife rides a hybrid like Carol described, and really enjoys it. It is a bit heavier than a mountain bike, but not much.

I on the other hand am buying a new full suspension 29"(rim) bike for next year. I am fairly young yet at 55, and love trail riding, both hill climbing and blasting downhill runs. I am keeping my old mountain bike with smoother tires on it for riding around town, which will likely accompany me on most trailer trips. Gotta keep this aging body in good shape so I can enjoy things in retirement.

I have ridden the Townie style before, and while very comfy to ride, they are not very good on the performance end of things.

We have a 2" receiver on the back of our trailer, and use a Swagman G2 2‑Bike Hitch Rack. We both enjoy finding trails to ride, as well as just generally tripping around campsites and in town.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #12

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
My Trek Pure Sport fits in the back of the Highlander. The upright seat position, crank-forward design, and quality make it a joy to ride.

I test rode a Day6, Electra Townie, and the Trek on the same day as I decided what to buy. The Day6 seat was nice, but wow what a heavy bike! The other two felt so much more lively.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #13

Pennsylvania
Registry
We would be up for a ride along the tow canal in Ohio. That would be fun. Some years back we did a ride through Ohio. The ride was a mix including the tow path, along the Muskingum River and on roads. I do not remember the actual route. We started near a town called Coshocton, went through Zanesville, and ended up in Marietta a 100 miles later. Too far for me to ride anymore in one day (or maybe even two).
Coshocton is less than two hours from Pittsburgh if I remember correctly.
Is the bike museum in that area or near Dayton?
Old 10-25-2012, 06:21 AM   #14

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
We would be up for a ride along the tow canal in Ohio. That would be fun. Some years back we did a ride through Ohio. The ride was a mix including the tow path, along the Muskingum River and on roads. I do not remember the actual route. We started near a town called Coshocton, went through Zanesville, and ended up in Marietta a 100 miles later. Too far for me to ride anymore in one day (or maybe even two).
Coshocton is less than two hours from Pittsburgh if I remember correctly.
Is the bike museum in that area or near Dayton?
bill is the erie canal towpath used? i thought that would be a great ride.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #15

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I retired my heavy mountain bike last year for a hybrid style bike - cross between a trail bike and a road bike. I wanted the flexibility when traveling to have a bike that could handle the gravel or sandy paths etc around campgrounds and parks and one that didnt take a lot of effort to move quickly along paved roads. Most importantly I wanted a bike that was light enough for me to be able to lift it up onto the roof of my car on my own - something I struggled with on my old bike. Ended up with a Cannondale Quick with Carbon components. Although I admit I did change the seat out to something a little more comfortable than what came with it :-) I have a insulated handle bar pack that I use to stuff cold things into when shopping and carry a small back pack to take the rest of the grocery items. Besides being able to actually put it on top of the car on my own I love that I dont have a great deal of trouble keeping up with my travel partner on the roads as they are riding a very light weight Lance Armstrong style road bike that goes fast with little trouble - but they sure cant ride it off the pavement as I can with mine!

Carol, the Cannondale quick was really the bike I wanted, but ended up purchasing a Fuji hybrid. Consumer Reports rated the Fuji very high, but from being a Cannondale owner for many moons, the Cannondale is simply the best I have ever owned. Sadly my wife and I have a Cannondale tandem road bike that sits in the garage and is in showroom condition: We have owned it for 4 years and it has less than 25 miles on it. My wife also has a Trek. Maybe I need to sell the tandem and buy the quick like I had planned. Anyway, good to see so many people on here biking. So much easier on the leg joints!
BigLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:36 AM   #16

Michigan
i know there are other bike museums,,this is the one we went to and loved. if you ever get to new bremen ohio, i recomend it.

Bicycle Museum of America
Old 10-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #17

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
There is a bike out there to fit everyone's riding needs, no matter what they are. I always suggest going to a few bike shops until you find one you like the service in, and have them go over things with you. You may be surprised to find a style that suits your needs better than what you were already thinking.

My wife rides a hybrid like Carol described, and really enjoys it. It is a bit heavier than a mountain bike, but not much.

I on the other hand am buying a new full suspension 29"(rim) bike for next year. I am fairly young yet at 55, and love trail riding, both hill climbing and blasting downhill runs. I am keeping my old mountain bike with smoother tires on it for riding around town, which will likely accompany me on most trailer trips. Gotta keep this aging body in good shape so I can enjoy things in retirement.

I have ridden the Townie style before, and while very comfy to ride, they are not very good on the performance end of things.

We have a 2" receiver on the back of our trailer, and use a Swagman G2 2‑Bike Hitch Rack. We both enjoy finding trails to ride, as well as just generally tripping around campsites and in town.
I had already owned a couple of really good bikes from the 60's and 70's, when I did just what you suggest. Determined to find "the best bike in the world" I went shopping... I found my 1989 Trek 820. After 23 years and untold miles, I still have found nothing new to equal this bike. I have had several other bikes over the years and checked out new ones as they came along.
This year I found a practically Brand New 1989 Trek 820 for sale and snatched it up immediately.
I have made a few updates on my old bike,like sealed crankset bearings and ergo grips. I have placed my "new 820" on a wall bracket awaiting the day when I might make the switch (another 23 years?).
I have "dialed in" my recently purchased Trek 700 and it is a smooth and easy ride. I will keep it, but my old 820 will still be "My Bike".
I say all this to reinforce your point, get a good bike that fits you and your riding style... It's worth the time, expense and effort.

Most new bikes are aluminum and have suspension in the forks and seat posts, they are well engineered and provide a nice experience for most buyers.
"My Bike" is all CRO-MO with no suspension, and I just can not adapt to aluminum or to suspension components.

I have found that transporting a bike is generally worse on it than riding,so I may use my old bike when I need to transport and keep my shiny new one for at home use.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #18

Pennsylvania
Registry
I believe it is.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #19

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Wow. You guys are serious bike riders.

Not owning a bicycle after my single speed, coaster brake, cruiser was stolen; I decided on impulse to get a couple of folding bikes to take camping.

Adventurer six speed folding bike
Old 10-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I have found that transporting a bike is generally worse on it than riding,so I may use my old bike when I need to transport and keep my shiny new one for at home use.
I haven't found that to be the problem, but constantly putting a good bike "away" is a PITA. I have a nearly 20 year old Huffy... perfect for camping, getting a bit long in the tooth (like me) and spots of rust. I call it my Beach Bike and it gets me down the road and around the campground just as well as any of my other good bikes. I'm into having fun and less worry when camping. Now, if I was going to MOAB.. that would be a different story.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote