Big Dog, Small Trailer! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-17-2009, 08:47 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Anybody have any secrets to share. Our new Akita is now, at 4 1/2 months, 60 pounds. He will grow to be at least 115 lbs and 26” to 30” at the shoulders (he’s 22 ½” now).

While this is my fourth Akita, all of the others have only been tent camping. We took the last one for an overnighter at the in-laws and she didn’t like it at all (probably because I didn’t use the stabilizers). She whined all night and kept trying to get on the bed. There was no room for that!

The next morning, while I was shaving, my wife went to see if her dad was awake. I couldn’t get out of the bathroom because Kobe was lying against the door and wouldn’t move to let me out. We have wire crates but, with all the nocturnal critters, that’s not a sleep option.

I’m thinking of removing the dinette table pole and creating a “den” for him…but, he’s going to be really big!

Suggestions?

Pat
Patrick Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:10 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
the den is a good idea.. a few folks here do that. My next project is to build a room for my bigger male Beagle (Sticky) at the end of my guacho. The pup, who is about as big as she is ever gonna get now, which is small for a beagle, will stay in her crate. It's easy to move in and out of the trailer.

oh yeah.. quit cryin!

Attached Thumbnails
2crowded.jpg  
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:53 PM   #3

Registry
oh, and I hope Kurt chimes in. He made a special spot for his dogs in the back of his truck cab.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:59 PM   #4

Quote:
the den is a good idea.. a few folks here do that. My next project is to build a room for my bigger male Beagle (Sticky) at the end of my guacho. The pup, who is about as big as she is ever gonna get now, which is small for a beagle, will stay in her crate. It's easy to move in and out of the trailer.

oh yeah.. quit cryin!
So, you sleep on the floor? I guess that's an option I hadn't considered.

Pat
Old 06-17-2009, 10:05 PM   #5

Registry
if they let me
Old 06-18-2009, 05:55 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Gina,
I knew you had the dogs and cat, but it didn't really sink in until this last picture.
I think I sat here laughing out loud for a minute.
That is one LARGE cat.

Bill K

Quote:
if they let me
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:39 AM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
She whined all night and kept trying to get on the bed.
Does she sleep on the bed at home?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:21 AM   #8

Registry
Bill, yes, he is a big boy. In outside dimensions, he is as big as the youngest dog . doesn't weigh quite as much tho.

With inspiration from Patrick, last nite I put the youngest in her crate (Jail) for all nite. She did well. Not a peep or fuss. It pays to train them early. She goes in of her own accord during the day and naps. She goes in when I say "Jail" as well. The jail is a good investment, even for big dogs.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:33 AM   #9

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Big Dog - Little Trailer

Well - 13' Boler - 2 Adults - 1 Great Dane

Click image for larger version

Name:	april_019.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	21030

My Great Dane is 2 years old and around 125+ pounds right now - her shoulders are probably 34" plus - her head at least 42" - on 4 legs she can drink out of the kitchen faucet without a problem - - when standing she's several inches taller than me.....

Name:	dane_035.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	21031

But - she sleeps on the front bench area - and we keep an extra bed for her in the truck and bring it in at night and throw it on the floor.... it's a bit of a process stepping over her and getting out to use the bathroom - - but so far so good.... I'm trying to convince the wife for Dane #2 - but somehow she's not going for it quite yet.... not sure how that would work in the 13 footer though....
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:11 AM   #10

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Quote:
Big Dog - Little Trailer

Well - 13' Boler - 2 Adults - 1 Great Dane

Attachment 21030

My Great Dane is 2 years old and around 125+ pounds right now - her shoulders are probably 34" plus - her head at least 42" - on 4 legs she can drink out of the kitchen faucet without a problem - - when standing she's several inches taller than me.....

Attachment 21031

But - she sleeps on the front bench area - and we keep an extra bed for her in the truck and bring it in at night and throw it on the floor.... it's a bit of a process stepping over her and getting out to use the bathroom - - but so far so good.... I'm trying to convince the wife for Dane #2 - but somehow she's not going for it quite yet.... not sure how that would work in the 13 footer though....
In the 13 footer, the two Great Danes get the camper and you sleep in the back of the truck!
Pamela S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Does she sleep on the bed at home?
That dog did occasionally. The new pup sleeps in his crate in the bedroom or on the tile floor in the bathroom. That's another thing, he likes to sleep on a hard, cool, surface. We put carpet scraps in each of his crates and the first thing he did was to pull them out.

Here he is a week after we got him:

Name:	Kumori_Casita_Door__Medium_.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	21034

He did well that week. We're taking him again next week.

Pat
Old 06-18-2009, 10:05 AM   #12

Gee dear we need a bigger trailer.

Bill K
Old 06-18-2009, 10:30 AM   #13

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
With Two Newfoundlands we just get them a babysitter and they get to stay home.
Mostly I get to go by myself really which I also do not mind.

They don't think they can jump when they really only have to step up onto things and I think that is a blessing in itself.
They really do like to drive though which can make for some interesting trips!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:17 AM   #14

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Gee, and here I thought we had problems with two Doxie's and a 17ft'er! LOL.................

Cute Dog, but isn't it going to grow bigger than the egg?
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:55 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Much to my chagrin . . . . over time the 2 greyhounds have claimed the double bed and I'm relegated to the dinette bed!!

But, as you are finding, there's just not enough room on the floor for dogs and people to move around.

On the few occassions when I travel with friends, I bed the dogs down in the back of my SUV. That works except in the most extreme temperatures.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:53 PM   #16

He did fine this trip. Starting him as a puppy helped, I'm sure. I taught him his "place" is in the foyer ( ) while we are cooking or showering. He did sleep on the bed between our feet and tried his best to make himself small. (Although he did manage to turn on the radio at 3 am )

The above picture was taken at 9 weeks. This is 19 weeks:

Name:	Kumori_19_wks__Custom_.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	21172
Old 06-25-2009, 03:48 PM   #17

Don't you feed the poor under nourished dog. ROTFL !!!

Bill K
Old 06-25-2009, 09:12 PM   #18

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
My German Shepherd, Molly, who sadly passed away last July, always slept on the floor. She took up almost the entire floor but there was room for the porta potty in front of the door & her water bowl. Buddy, the 30-lb. terrier mix is supposed to sleep on the front gaucho, but rarely does.
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:16 AM   #19

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
Jobi, at 75 pounds, has always slept on the dinette bed with me, and my son slept on the side bed. Unfortunately, at just shy of 6', my son has just gotten too tall for the side bed and the extension is a pain in the neck. This last trip I let my son have the dinette bed and I took the side bed, which really confused the dog. She has always sleep on the dinette bed, but never in her six years has she slept in bed with my son. She actually did fine through the night on the dinette bed, but early each morning would crawl across him and onto the side bed and go back to sleep with me. Although fine to sleep on by myself, it is a tad bit crowded with Jobi! We take off again next week, we'll see what happens with the sleeping arrangements.
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote