Big Rig RVers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #1

Name: Al
Trailer: 1982 13 foot Scamp
Wisconsin
Big Rig RVers

Last night,I watched a chat room with the big 40 foot diesel pushers talking about downsizing,to maybe a 35 footer,but wondering where they could fit the washer/dryer/dishwasher into their desired floorplan.And at the same time,voicing their concerns about the rising price of fuel.And another one wasn't happy that Michigan state parks don't have full hook-ups.Poor baby had to go to the laundromat in town with the common folk. LOL!
ScampBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm just glad we don't all like the same thing. What a "vanilla" world we would live in... and vanilla is my favorite flavor! (If I could figure out a way to shoehorn a dishwasher in my trailer... I'd have it ... just kidding of course), but still.... it's important to not compare ourselves with others... we'll either be ecstatic with our choice... or sad/mad. "Love the One You're With."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
I parked next to a 40' diesel at a RV park in BC. Hubby came over for a glass of wine and a tour. He loved my deluxe 13' Scamp and told me horror stories about life in his MH.

About then his wife came out and he asked here to come see this "cute little thing" (The Scamp not me.) She had absolutely no interest in anything smaller than what they already had. and she wouldn't even look!!!
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Common discussion with large RV-ers is about slide-outs.
- How do lubricate gaskets.
- How to lubricate rails and drives.
- What to do if power is lost.
- How you get them in if they are frozen in open position.
- How to prevent water leak, just compare fixing leaking slid-out leak vs loose rivet leak.

2 slide-outs weight is equal to a small trailer, so, slide-outs own the owners likely without owners knowledge.

Our close friends had one of these and got stock on the campground due to total slide-out malfunction, I think a safety shear pin was sheared. Upon returning home they sold it.

We were camping in a beautiful campground near Mt Hood OR and a nice couple commented about our Bigfoot trailer, the first question was how many slide-outs, none, they walked away.

George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Easy to Laugh

It's easy to laugh about big rig owners. We use to have one and it was nice. It's a little more like a home though we did not have a washer, dish or clothes.

It's always difficult to go from more to less, actually I believe it's harder for the wives.

A fellow RVer told me today that they need to go smaller, but not that small, referencing our Scamp.

One interesting aspect of coming into a park with the Scamp is that you're always noticed.....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
On time camping at a RV park in North Western Washington in a 16ft Scamp we had 3 big rigs arrive for overnight. They were going to town to get food and asked us if they could bring us some food, we said no thank you. I guess they thought we were poor.
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:13 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Actually, if you start talking about full-timers, these "amenities" actually end up being a lesser drain on resources than those with a combo of a full-time house and tiny trailer. The last RV we had was a 30 foot 5th wheel and we purchased the combo washer/dryer because the cost of doing laundry for a family of 3 at the laundry mat was prohibitive. We needed the full dry bath since 3 people shared that bathroom and park facilities are often an extensive walk. When you are loading the refrigerator for at least a week, you need extra space.

We knew people in Alabama coming down for the winter from north that did so to save money on heating cost. It was cheaper to travel and rent a lot than to heat their northern homes.

Some people are also just too big, up and down or sideways to fit in a tiny trailer and with aging, it can be difficult to get around in small spaces.

I am guessing more than a couple of tenters are looking at people in the tiny trailers and thinking the same thing you are thinking about the people in the bigger motorhomes - just on a smaller scale.

And the squirrel is looking at the tenter just laughing to himself about needing such a silly contraption out in the forest!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
My wife and I belong to a small camping group of 6 old married couples. The group's trailers consists of 2- Class A motor homes 2-32 ft fifth wheelers 1-34 ft fifth wheeler
and my 16 ft Scamp. None of the others, especially the wives can understand why we would camp in such a small trailer. We listen to them complain about repairs , gas mileage , having to buy a new large diesel truck for towing , difficulty finding campgrounds with big enough sites and full hookups ETC, My 15 MPG towing my Scamp sounds bad until you compare it to their 6 MPG To each his own
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #9

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
If everyone preferred FG eggs, the prices would skyrocket, the campground bathrooms would be jammed, and no one would ever ooh and ahh over our little rigs. Be thankful for what you have, and that so many do not covet it. ;-)
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler 1984
Wifes sister called last week to let us know that they just bought a 35 foot Fleetwood. It's got all the bells and whistles along with the pull outs. With the feul costs rising I can't figure why they bought the one with the gas engine and not the deisel version. Wonder if they thought about the toll costs. ....and they still have to tag along a vehicle to use after they set up.
I guess that we'll stick to the little Boler.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #11

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm just glad we don't all like the same thing. What a "vanilla" world we would live in... and vanilla is my favorite flavor! (If I could figure out a way to shoehorn a dishwasher in my trailer... I'd have it ... just kidding of course), but still.... it's important to not compare ourselves with others... we'll either be ecstatic with our choice... or sad/mad. "Love the One You're With."
my wife had a dishwasher in our teardrop........me!
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
my wife had a dishwasher in our teardrop........me!
"Will work for food."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #13

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
last fall, we took a little jaunt with our neighbours down into maine and new hampshire. they had purchased a new fifth wheel last spring---up from a 23' sticky to a 30' fifth.
it is truly beautiful, for sure, and i am certain people laughed when they saw them travelling with us, in our 13'er. but anything they were missing, i could produce from our little unit....and yet we don't look cluttery inside. and our neighbours only have one window in the bedroom of this big unit, making air flow at night dismal at best. we, on the other hand, had comfortable breezes all night long....
however, the advantage was that we could not entertain four people inside and they could. for us, though, who prefer to spend our evening around the campfire, that was not a negative....but to them, who watch television, it was.
it's truly all in the eye of the beholder.....
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #14

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Ex Motorhome response

"With the feul costs rising I can't figure why they bought the one with the gas engine and not the deisel version. Wonder if they thought about the toll costs. ....and they still have to tag along a vehicle to use after they set up".

Jim

People buy the gas engine because they will never drive enough miles to justify the longevity of a diesel. Many of the people who buy diesel motorhomes do so so they can charge up hills, in general the living features of a gas or diesel motorhome outside of speed are about the same.

Actually once we left the northeastern portion of the USA we hardly ever drove a toll road and when in the Noth ast avoid them when possible.
Towing a car is a good deal. It has little effect on mileage and when you get there you don't have to drive the motorhome going from 8-11 mpg to 20-30 mpg depending on the rig and tow car. This is something you can't do with some of the big tow vehicles we use to tow our trailers. Tow with a big tow vehicle and you drive it every where when your trailers parked, as CPAHarley says 13 mpg towing or driving.

Actually some of the people towing on this site might as well be driving a motorhome because there mpg readings are in that ball park.

Donna made the point of different strokes for different folks... we've done both and they're both fun.... one is just more expensive and limits some of the places we want to go....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #15

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We have a dishwasher in both our trailers. Either my wife or me. We spent the winter in our big 31 ft Kodiak. Now on the way home where we'll park it and use our Egg Camper for FUN.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #16

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Gas is just the begaining of it all, the licence is enought to pay for a lot of miles pulling a FG, and then some.
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #17

Trailer: Casita
I would love to have a 40-foot motorhome...parked next to us. They provide excellent shade in the summer and block the cold wind in winter.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Who needs a slideout; my trailer has a walkout... good enough.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #19

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Who needs a slideout; my trailer has a walkout... good enough.
...bigger than any slideout, no mechanical or electrical problems, no maintenance, precisely, that is what camping is all about.
George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #20

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
i have to admit i'm a little conflicted....moving up in size from my teardrop camper to a full sized scamp 13. i hope i don't come off as ostentatious at the camp grounds.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote