Bigfoot 21 or Escape 19 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Bigfoot 21 or Escape 19

Hello all,

I am drooling and pondering a new camper purchase in the next two years. I want to re-do the woodwork in my casita with some nice custom tables and new cabinet doors while we are saving and then sell it for either a Bigfoot 21 or Escape 19.

Any thoughts? I have seen the Escape 19 and Loved it.

Does anyone know of Bigfoot campers have rivets or things? I love how the Escape campers are made without rivets.

Thanks everyone,

Don and Brenda
Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W. View Post
Hello all,

I am drooling and pondering a new camper purchase in the next two years. I want to re-do the woodwork in my casita with some nice custom tables and new cabinet doors while we are saving and then sell it for either a Bigfoot 21 or Escape 19.

Any thoughts? I have seen the Escape 19 and Loved it.

Does anyone know of Bigfoot campers have rivets or things? I love how the Escape campers are made without rivets.

Thanks everyone,

Don and Brenda
The Bigfoot campers may be a bit short on "rivets", but they have plenty of "things"!
You will like the Bigfoot 19', It is a nice trailer.I like it!
I like the Airstream Bambi as well, rivets and all!

What is really important is to find the one which you like enough to pay the price and take care of.

Have you had enough rivet trouble to be embarrassed to sell your Casita?

My Scamp cabinetry is attached with screws and not rivets,but that's just because they are wood...no problems so far.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I like the Bigfoot and the Escape and the Bambi but that one might have to wait for a really big lotto win while the other two only require a small lotto win! ;-) I think it all comes down to what layout you want/need the most. They all have and need some care over time with various things! :-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I like the Bigfoot and the Escape and the Bambi but that one might have to wait for a really big lotto win while the other two only require a small lotto win! ;-) I think it all comes down to what layout you want/need the most. They all have and need some care over time with various things! :-)
We looked at an Airstream CCD Bambi 16 just before we ordered our 13 Scamp deluxe . The CCD had a nice interior, but the International could not hold a candle to the Scamp's custom cabinetry.
Turns out, we bought the perfect trailer for us... eventhough it has about a hundred mods and more to come!
After 7-1/2 years with "Eggy-Sue"(the pull-it surprize), every other Travel Trailer pales in our eyes and most of them seem way too big!
I still admire other people's choices and wish everyone could find as much satisfaction as we have.
Attached Thumbnails
WB40023.jpg  
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #5

I haven't had much rivet trouble. Just a few. I like the casita a great deal. I have just had to replace almost all of the rivet caps, and a few rivets but I do enjoy the tinkering. What I am looking for is the ability to have a bumper bike rack, tongue storage box, and just a tad bit more room on the floor for our big golden retriever at night.

Like I said, I am drooling and dreaming and interested in what others have to say. Let the chat begin
Old 11-14-2011, 06:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The only people I can think of that have owned both a Bigfoot 21 and an Escape 19 is Deb & Chuck. They're calling their Escape 19 "Keeper," if that tells you anything
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 19 ft Escape
Escape 19, lighter then the Bigfoot and imho better built.
Doug P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:45 PM   #8

I don't know what you mean by saying made without rivets. They have plenty of outer shell penetrations like the screws around the middle seam just like your casita. The 19 awning rivets are not seen from the outside nor the roof ones (photo attached) Good luck on your hunt
Attached Thumbnails
escape19.JPG  
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:47 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question Decisions, Decisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W. View Post
I am drooling and pondering a new camper purchase in the next two years... either a Bigfoot 21 or Escape 19.

Any thoughts?
I have a similar dilemma; I really like both rigs. The Bigfoot is wider than the Escape, and turning the rear Bed front-to-back and tucking the bathroom into the corner makes it feel WAY bigger than the Escape to me. But the bed is only a "Full" in the Bigfoot, while it's a "Queen" in the Escape. I like the vinyl wall covering of the Escape, the paneling and/or wallpaper in the Bigfoot feels like I'm in a stickie. The front Dinette of the Escape has the side bathroom as a barrier, while the Bigfoot's front Dinette is wide open. The kitchen of the Bigfoot is adjacent and convenient to the dinette, while the Escape's kitchen feels remote, especially having the fridge on the other side of the bathroom, it and the stove are closer to the bed. The kitchen window is standard on the Bigfoot but an option on the Escape. The Escape is much lighter than the Bigfoot.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:05 AM   #10

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I had that dilemma till I bought the Bigfoot, the Escape is a nice unit no question.
I was looking for value in relation to build and Bigfoot set the mark for others.
There are not many used Escape units out there which say's much for the product. There are enough Bigfoot's around to price and they are well done quality units that have plenty of years behind them.

Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I have a similar dilemma; I really like both rigs. The Bigfoot is wider than the Escape, and turning the rear Bed front-to-back and tucking the bathroom into the corner makes it feel WAY bigger than the Escape to me. But the bed is only a "Full" in the Bigfoot, while it's a "Queen" in the Escape.

My wife has commented numerous times that even though the bed in our Bigfoot 21 is only a 'full", it feels MUCH bigger as you have walls on both sides. When you are asleep you do not "shy away from" the sides/edges as you do at home (for fear of falling out) so you use ALL of the bed.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #12

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I had a couple of 'weeping' rivets on our Scamp after it was 25 years old. One sunny Saturday I replaced them all with 1/4 x 20 stainless truss head screws, flat washers, rubber washers on the outside and flat washers and nuts on the inside.

The rubber washers I cut from 1/4 I.D. rubber neoprene hose on a band saw. Since that time the leaks have vanished.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #13

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Bigfoot 21RB experience.

I have Bigfoot 21RB and here are my comments:

Positive:
I agree with BCDave comment about the bed virtual size and would add that my wife and I can get out without climbing over other person.
I like the front battery and LPG compartment.
My wife and I are both retired and the space in Bigfoot is more than sufficient.
Skylight adds good light in the trailer so we don’t feel like in a dark cage.
Separation of shower from the toilette makes it more user friendly, there is no need to place a drip curtain.
There is a lot of storage, almost to the point that we need to remember where our stuff is.
The bathroom and main area fans (both are Fantastics) can vent this trailer very rapidly. We practically don’t use AC.

Negative:
Bigfoot is likely about 1,500lb heavier. On my sticker the dry factory weight is listed close to 4,000lb (without all options) and Escape is at 2,510lb. I don’t know if you can believe these numbers from manufacturers but I am certain Bigfoot is heavy. I have F350 PSD and definitely sense trailer being pulled.

Things changed:
I would prefer rubber torsion suspension over leaf springs. Had experience with rubber torsion on my boat trailer which was a pleasure to tow. Bigfoot was a little jumpy on the rough road. I replaced all shackles, bolts, and bushings with Dexter heavy duty kit and modified the suspension by adding large airbags. The trailer rides softer (as measured with USB accelerometer) and I can adjust its height on rough roads. But I would still prefer a rubber torsion suspension.
My wife complained about the bathroom faucet I replaced it with the one which can swing to the side.

Things fixed:
Roof AC mount is substandard. Bigfoot used insulation foam as the structural element in compression. They did not frame the roof opening with a wood frame as is called by Dometic . The Bigfoot factory just cut the hole in the roof and bolted the AC unit with screws going through the foam and the lower bracket compressing the foam during torquing. I removed the AC unit, frame the opening with the wood frame and reinstalled the AC unit. Another person from the Bigfoot Forum did the same fix.

Awning installation was substandard as well. The front and rear awning roll brackets were attached with long sheet metal screwed into the fiberglass without any backing. I noticed that front bracket started to separate from the fiberglass and found that the front screw was loose and couldn’t be tighten. The sheet metal screws were replaced with bolts going through the fiberglass and the new backing wooden block.

Would I buy a Bigfoot again, yes. Prior to this trailer we had Bigfoot camper and we like it as well. I would likely give a good look at Oliver if they would be in Business.

George
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:10 AM   #14

British Columbia
I assure you they ARE in business! I was just there (at the B/F factory in Armstrong BC) a few weeks ago having them put an awning on my 21. (it had never had one from day one!) as well as installing a new lid on the 'nosecone" which had become lost under tow by a previous owner.

Mine is now at the Escape factory in Chilliwack having some custom interior work done.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:09 AM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
I assure you they ARE in business!
Dave have they started building all molded trailers yet? We've been given to understand they're building truck campers and the sticky line...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:23 AM   #16

Bigfoot's website says they are building them again and giving discounts to US customers.

I agree about the Oliver.....They put out a nice rig eventhough it was pricey it had some great features.

D
Old 11-16-2011, 08:09 AM   #17

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
I've been in contact with Bigfoot regarding the US offer and now regarding changes I want to make to our recently purchased 2006 25RQ. They are building a new 25RQ right now and have been getting measurements during it's production to answer some of my questions. Even though I ended up buying a used unit they have continued to assist me, great company!

-John
John Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:26 AM   #18

This is good news. What did they say regarding the US offer?
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:47 AM   #19

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
They are offering a reduced price around cost to move some units the first of the year. The units will be sold through a Canadian dealer near them. I have the original email I received from them but I shy away from posting stuff like that online since they didn't put it on their website. Email the address on their site and they will respond else PM me.

-John
John Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #20

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post

Would I buy a Bigfoot again, yes. Prior to this trailer we had Bigfoot camper and we like it as well. I would likely give a good look at Oliver if they would be in Business.

George
I assume you are talking about "OLIVER" being in business?

(got a tad confused as Oliver, BC is not all that far away from Armstrong, BC where Bigfoot is made, so when you said you would look at Oliver, I wondered if you meant going to Armstrong)

Tags
bigfoot, escape