Bigfoot 21 too big? - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #1

Name: The Mrs.
Trailer: Bigfoot
Utah
Bigfoot 21 too big?

Hi all,

I have been bitten by the egg-trailer bug and plan to get one this summer. We are a family of four, with two young kiddos (7 and 4). I really like the idea of the small trailer (well, the 16-17 foot size) and love that I could pull it behind my Sienna.

My husband thinks it will be too cramped and wants a Bigfoot 21'. To me it seems like a big trailer comparatively. we would obviously need to use a truck not my Sienna to pull it.

How big does it feel? In other words do you feel like you can really go anywhere in it, off-road private campsites, or does it became a campground trailer only?

We are used to either car camping with a tent, or taking our old, awesome 1976 24' holiday rambler RV, which we have taken on 4WD jeep raods that seem like a trailer could never make it down.

Will we be giving up that kind of camping with a 21' trailer? Will even a 16' limit us that way? I really don't want to go the RV or camper route, but I am also worried the trailer really can't get into the back country.

Please any and all advice wanted. THANKS!!

Old 06-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #2

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I'd go with the 16' trailer and put the kids in a tent. They'll have moved on long before the 16' molded fiberglass trailer wears out.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:32 PM   #3

Utah
19 footers

4 and 7 year old in a tent outside won't work without parents with them. Maybe when they are older, but I hope to be comfortable with all four in the meantime, if possible.

19 feet might be a happy medium. I see Escape makes one. Are there any others? I know Scamp makes a 19 footer 5er but I don't want that.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #4

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
Oliver trailers might be another idea for you. Maybe Arctic Fox for a "four season" travel trailer. Under their testimonials
"In 2009 we towed our 29V over 3000 miles of the northernmost roads in North America --all unpaved primitive roads-- in addition to the usual Alaska Highway stuff."

edit: i see the Nash offers a certified offroad chassis
northwoodmfg.com
Old 06-19-2013, 12:01 AM   #5

Utah
Thanks Ken. Not much info about the Olviers. Looks interesting, but not much I can find. Do you know more about them?

The Arctic Fox is interesting. I guess I need to decide how much I am committed to the little trailer. Those Northwoods all look so big.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:10 AM   #6

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
This is a fun blog to read....a boondocker. This post is about coming from a casita to Nash.
Oliver is well respected, a company guy is a member of the forum here.
Simple Living and Simple Travel: one trailer, two trailers, one trailer
Old 06-19-2013, 06:34 AM   #7

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
There are plenty of slab-sided, soon-to-leak towables that would suit your needs. Not so many choices in the egg world. With the 21 foot Escape soon to go into production, we may see more 17 & 19 Escape owners selling to move up. Perhaps you'll find something then in that used market. Whatever you decide, remember egg trailers sell fast. You snooze, you lose.

If looking to purchase used, don't forget to download and take with you the Buyer's Check List, it's very helpful.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Lots of focus on length but no mention of width. A 17' Oliver is 6'6" wide, a 17' Casita is 6'8" wide, a 17' Escape is 7' wide, and a 17' Bigfoot is 8' wide. If interior space is a concern, 13 additional square feet (or more) is a bunch in a small trailer. We have camped with a 10, 8 ,and 6 year old for long weekends in our Bigfoot with no space issues. I can't imagine a road that your Holiday Rambler can manage that any Bigfoot model couldn't go down. We tow our early 1500 series with a 2006 Toyota Sienna.

Lake Bardwell, TX Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket
Old 06-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #9

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There are plenty of slab-sided, soon-to-leak towables that would suit your needs.

Whatever you decide, remember egg trailers sell fast. You snooze, you lose.

If looking to purchase used, don't forget to download and take with you the Buyer's Check List, it's very helpful.
Hi Donna,

Yes, I keep reading here that the slab sides leak. Don't want that!

I already has a snooze and lose moment. A Scamp 16 came up local for a good price and I hesitated just a moment and SNAP it was gone!

Yes, I have the buyers checklist Thanks!
Old 06-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #10

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
Lots of focus on length but no mention of width. A 17' Oliver is 6'6" wide, a 17' Casita is 6'8" wide, a 17' Escape is 7' wide, and a 17' Bigfoot is 8' wide. If interior space is a concern, 13 additional square feet (or more) is a bunch in a small trailer. We have camped with a 10, 8 ,and 6 year old for long weekends in our Bigfoot with no space issues. I can't imagine a road that your Holiday Rambler can manage that any Bigfoot model couldn't go down. We tow our early 1500 series with a 2006 Toyota Sienna.
Cool.

It seems that the clearance will be the biggest factor for going off road. That was why we could take that old Holiday Rambler RV so many places. It had surprisingly high clearance and a strong chassis.

The bigfoot appears to sit low to the ground.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #11

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping_mama View Post
I really like the idea of the small trailer (well, the 16-17 foot size) and love that I could pull it behind my Sienna.
Is the use of the Sienna definite? It's a great tug for a typical 17' egg (and I'm guessing a 19' Escape), but if the tug must be the Sienna then I think
  • a 21' Bigfoot is too heavy, and
  • any "back country" access will likely be limited by the clearance of the Sienna, rather than the ground clearance of a suitably configured trailer within the van's ratings... but trailer width or height could be concerns

If I had to replace our Boler with an egg with maximum accommodations to be towed by our Sienna, I would certainly look at a 19' Escape and I might consider a 21' Escape. Other brands and models are generally smaller or too heavy.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #12

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
To give you one reference point, we sleep 4 people in our 13' trailer and love it. We also tow with a minivan and it feels like it could pull more than that. But realize we usually stay places with some level of facilities and bring a canopy along if we are staying any length of time in one spot.

A lot of it comes down to choices and personal preference. We love our trailer and I hope you enjoy yours as much as we do.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #13

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
A lot of what you choose depends on your family and choices. Do you tent camp? How large a tent? Any size fgrv has more to offer than any of my tents.
For some, a small trailer is well, too small.
Have you been to an fgrv rallly yet?
Good luck, and glad you want to teach the young ones the joy of camping.
Sherry
Old 06-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #14

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping_mama View Post
It seems that the clearance will be the biggest factor for going off road.

The bigfoot appears to sit low to the ground.
The Bigfoot (unlike Scamp/Casita/Escape) has leaf-spring suspension while the others have rubber torsion suspension. 13' Bolers have rubber torsion while 17' Bolers have leaf-spring.

Both my Fiber Stream and Compact Jr. have leaf-spring.

Standard installation of leaf-springs has the axle mounted on top of the concave surface of the spring bundle, known as a "Spring-Under" mounting. Many people talk about "flipping the axle" which is a misnomer; they are actually changing the axle mounting to the bottom of the convex surface of the spring bundle, known as a "Spring-Over" mounting. Depending on the thickness of the spring bundle and the diameter of the axle tube, you can gain between 4" and 6" of body ground clearance. The axle tube stays the same height as before.

Tags
bigfoot