Bigfoot 25B175CB Layout Question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-23-2014, 09:01 PM   #21

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
hey Carol....by the way....

I noticed you have a solar panel...a TV/DVD...yada yada.....

It just so happens that I bought a 40W Coleman solar panel a while back (50% off at "Crappy Tire)...couldn't pass it up even though I have no idea what this will actually do for me....

I just reworked my electrical system....and the next step is to buy the battery bank....(DPO "upgraded" to two six volts and promptly turned them into "boat anchors" because the charging circuit of his PC was dead)

So here's my dilemma....Do I go and buy two six volts again...or do I buy a single group 27 (like I had as a house battery on my sailboat)

I would greatly appreciate your comments on your use/set-up given that you have been at it for 6-7 years

two six volts are more money...but more importantly more weight....I'd hate to "overdo" the battery thing.....I am probably not going to spend a lot of time in one place in my travels (unplugged)....two nights would be max I would think....(and I don't even have a flat screen TV....LOL)

I would really like to hear how you power your "extras"...what you have for batteries....how the solar panel factors into you use/consumption etc.......since you are in the "neighbourhood" sort of... (anecdotal information from CAL or ARZ campers would have to be taken with a grain of salt...different climate)

TIA..... looking forward to any and all of your thoughts on the subject, Cheers, F
Attached Thumbnails
jet.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:26 PM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
I noticed you have a solar panel...a TV/DVD...yada yada.....

It just so happens that I bought a 40W Coleman solar panel a while back (50% off at "Crappy Tire)...couldn't pass it up even though I have no idea what this will actually do for me....

I just reworked my electrical system....and the next step is to buy the battery bank....(DPO "upgraded" to two six volts and promptly turned them into "boat anchors" because the charging circuit of his PC was dead)

So here's my dilemma....Do I go and buy two six volts again...or do I buy a single group 27 (like I had as a house battery on my sailboat)

I would greatly appreciate your comments on your use/set-up given that you have been at it for 6-7 years

two six volts are more money...but more importantly more weight....I'd hate to "overdo" the battery thing.....I am probably not going to spend a lot of time in one place in my travels (unplugged)....two nights would be max I would think....(and I don't even have a flat screen TV....LOL)

I would really like to hear how you power your "extras"...what you have for batteries....how the solar panel factors into you use/consumption etc.......since you are in the "neighbourhood" sort of... (anecdotal information from CAL or ARZ campers would have to be taken with a grain of salt...different climate)

TIA..... looking forward to any and all of your thoughts on the subject, Cheers, F
I have only a group 27 battery but those in the know will tell you to 6's are better. The solar panel was purchased a number of years ago and is only a 35W but it has gotten me by on many dry camping trips for a week or more without any power worries - that is if its sunny. If its BC wet coast then I have to be very careful with my power usage. I keep the panel on a stand so I can more it out from under tree cover when need be. When down in AZ and Calf I just stuck it on the roof and leave it there. In BC its a whole different ball game as they say! All lights are LED and the fridge runs on propane when dry camping. I purchased the panel when solar wasn't cheap and could buy a 200w system today easily for what I paid for my little old one. LOL I am probable going to upgrading to a 80w or 100W this summer while on the Island as there is a company over there selling solar for $1 a watt & the panels are smaller in size than what I have now. I don't use the electric coffee maker, TV or the DVD when dry camping so no idea as to what one could expect. I do have an inverter though so I could use the system just never wanted to waste the power on the TV just in case the weather turned really poor and I needed to run my heater more, its a big power hog. I use power mainly for water pump, lights, heat, charging phones, cameras, IPad and occasionally the lap top for processing photos or watching a DVD on it. If your wanting to use your TV and DVD in BC while dry camping under all conditions then I would suggest the bigger the panel you get the better!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:01 AM   #23

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
Thanks, you sort of confirmed what I was thinking...

on the panel issue...you're quite right about living this far north of the equator makes a big difference....a buddy of mine checked the output of his panel with a meter on a sunny day flat as opposed to tilted and it was HUGE....so mine will not be permanently mounted (I guess you could but would have to incorporate a rather complicated tilt system in all directions...too much work for me).....I kinda got lucky with mine, it found itself a handy "home" right behind the right dinette seat back...the seatback "traps" it there, just by the door

yep, 40W is not much but my needs will be pretty minimal...I am installing a four digit meter on the forward bulkhead just above the table....so I'll be able to monitor use/available power easily....a one plug inverter to power the laptop (with TV software) and sometimes charge the cell phone...a smallish multi-band portable radio... and that will be it as far as "add-ons" are concerned. Thanks again, F
Attached Thumbnails
elecr5.jpg   elecr6.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot