Bigfoot 25B175CB Layout Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-21-2014, 11:53 AM   #1

Name: Barry
Trailer: None Yet
Arizona
Bigfoot 25B175CB Layout Question

Hi Folks,
New to this forum. Can anyone enlighten me on the rear berth layout on a Bigfoot 17CB, the only pictures I've seen show the sofa at the rear, is there a pullout that makes it into a bed? If so what is the size? Alternatively what is the size of the sofa, is it wide enough to sleep on.
Any pics of the bed made up would be helpful if there are any CB owners out there.
Considering a BF as an alternative to an Escape, I'm on their 2014 "wait list" - if someone cancels and a slot opens up after existing customers are juggled around.
I prefer an Escape but I think BF is a good alternative to waiting until spring 2015 to go camping, I know they are heavy but I've got a decent T V.
bcdonaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:34 PM   #2

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
cb

the seat portion of the rear sofa slides forward some and becomes a 42 inch wide bed (the seat back cushion + the seat cushion then lay flat, side by side)....ok for a single but real tight for a double.....

I posted this a while back

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...mod-62052.html

and here's a picture showing the wooden rail the seat portion slides on (the aluminium angle piece I added)
Attached Thumbnails
bedmod2.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:17 PM   #3

British Columbia
Registry
better pictures

the seat is 24 inches wide...the seat back is 17....

my CB is a 1997 model

in the overhead above the sofa I lately took out the center divider...so that I could be able to just roll up all the bedding in one bundle and store the whole thing up there....I may add something between the doors (making them one) or I might not bother...

that center divider (where most people put a clock or radio) added very little or no structural strength.....and with just bedding up there it doesn't matter anyway....(if it was going to be bricks up there, it would be different)
Attached Thumbnails
rears.jpg   rears2.jpg  

rears3.jpg   rears4.jpg  

Old 04-21-2014, 05:01 PM   #4

Arizona
Thank you Franswa, I figured this would be how it works but could never find any pics. There is a pretty good deal going on a new FB, but it seems from pictures the CB layout is a bit more open
Old 04-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Would suggest if you can go see both layouts in person before deciding. I personally think the FB layout is a more comfortable/functional layout. Which Escape are you on the waiting list for 17' or 19'? If you are wanting a comfortable less cramped bed then the Escape 19' bets out the BF 17' by a mile in that regard if you are not wanting to make the large dinette of the BF up into a bed every day. I love the BF 17' for its layout and storage and everything else but as has been said it is on the heavy side and the bed is the one thing that I personally am not 100% sold on.

Why not just buy yourself something used on the market to get you through this summer and then just flip it next spring?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:44 PM   #6

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
Franswa, what a great idea. Thanks for sharing it.

Has anyone ever seen someone make a custom 42" wide mattress and make a full time bed in the rear? I will be traveling solo, a 42" bed might be enough and than I can leave the front dinette up. There seems to be a lot more 25b17cb available than the front bed model. Just curious.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:35 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
There seems to be a lot more 25b17cb available than the front bed model. Just curious.
That is probable because its the newest of the layouts. If I am not mistaken they just started making that layout just before they shut down biz for a few years.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #8

Arizona
Carol, we are pretty much resigned to the fact that we'll be sleeping separatly in a camper- light sleepers and keep each other awake in a queen bed (TMI!)
We are on the wait list for a 19, the bigfoot 17 FB is about the same for us, functionality wise and maybe feel as spacious because of the extra width. The Bigfoot FB would work the same as the Escape 19, still have to make up one bed every day.
Yes I would buy used if one became available stateside.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:16 PM   #9

British Columbia
Registry
comments...

yeah, Badger you could do that...but if you made that mattress thicker than the standard 3" cushions the closet doors would not open (shorten the doors or replace them with a curtain? anything's possible) but if you make that a permanent bed you'll have bedding/pillows in the way so you'd end up going the curtain route I would think.

I have only slept in this thing three nights...and on the back bed. It was plenty big/wide enough for one person...as far as comfort I was on/in a sleeping bag and it was very comfortable with just the cushions supplied. I will be having a lady along so it didn't take long for me to realize that 41-42 inch wide was not enough.....so I came up with the "V-berth" thing to solve that problem. Another option would have been to put one person in the front bed and the other in the back bed. To me, "out of the box" the BF17 is really a trailer with two single beds, one at each end.

These trailers are only 14 feet inside....people are kidding themselves if they expect to have a full time double bed in that amount of space....and do all the other stuff in there as well.

It's all compromise...I could have bought something way bigger...and cheaper too...but I wanted something SMALL because I want to do a lot of "bushwacking" with it. I made my peace very early on that the bed would have to be made up every night...the overhead storage deal I showed before is to make that a snap....sleeping bag, two sheets, comforter all rolled up and shoved into the overhead....stowing and deploying should be a breeze.

I don't know what some are saying about "the big front bed" because it's exactly the same 41-42 inch wide as the rear bed (?) must be talking about a different model (mine is a 1500 series...listed at 2800lbs empty...the newer 2500 are definitely heavier with more insulation, dual pane windows, etc etc)

as far as CB versus G....well both have their pluses and minuses I'm sure depending on several factors including where one intends to sleep....one plus with the CB I can think of is the black tank is located right over the axle (weight)...another is using the bathroom coming from outside you don't disturb/move somebody cooking for instance....I dunno...I talked to somebody who owned quite a few RVs and she said that was an issue for her...go figure (?)

there's lots of very nice trailers out there...yeah the escape looks like a great lay-out....dinette at the back is a plus for sure in my book (often that's where the view is), access to bathroom right there by the entry door, another plus...the only thing I haven't figured is where the bedding goes...but then you can leave the bed made up in that thing and use the side dinette....but that's 19 feet (bigger)...beautiful trailer, hardly any come up for sale used in my experience...they're just too new I guess

cheers all, F (interior pictures from another CB, not mine)

"You can't have everything...Where would you put it?"
Attached Thumbnails
bf7b.JPG   bf7.JPG  

mort9d.jpg  
Old 04-21-2014, 09:43 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
yeah, Badger you could do that...but if you made that mattress thicker than the standard 3" cushions the closet doors would not open (shorten the doors or replace them with a curtain? anything's possible) but if you make that a permanent bed you'll have bedding/pillows in the way so you'd end up going the curtain route I would think.

I don't know what some are saying about "the big front bed" because it's exactly the same 41-42 inch wide as the rear bed (?) must be talking about a different model

The reason I like the FB better than the rear bed is not due to its size but is location.... as you point out it pretty hard to leave the rear bed made and get into closest etc.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:42 AM   #11

British Columbia
Registry
yep...I agree

"as you point out it pretty hard to leave the rear bed made and get into closet etc.".....that's correct, that's why I decided to "live" with an on again off again bed and make that operation it as easy as possible....

there is no such thing as a free lunch....if you decide you WANT a full time bed you do pay a price for that... the full size closet is gone, the kitchen suffers/gets smaller (no oven, the built in micro is nice WHEN you're plugged in)...the rear dinette is in the "perfect" (view) location but now it is a bit of a squeeze to get into BOTH sides (as opposed to just one in the CB...)

it's a beautiful trailer alright, hardly any used ones around...so it's big bucks for sure...you get what you pay for? yeah, could be....in such a small space you pay for/gain for everything you add/delete....just think if you decided you did not need a fridge (in either models) and switched to a good ice box...it would make a huge difference

(PS...I think the location switch stove top/sink was not a good idea...you'd have to put up a guard (splatter on the dinette seat))
Attached Thumbnails
fbx.jpg   fbx1.jpg  

fbx2.jpg   fbx3.jpg  

Old 04-22-2014, 09:14 AM   #12

Registry
All good points which is why I would suggest that those considering any trailer go and actually see it first hand to compare layouts. Once inside try and visualize what you will use most frequently and what you will not.

The issues with the placement of the stove as well as the getting in and out of the rear dinette are pretty common to many different brands/makes of smallish trailers so if those are big issues that can help in narrowing down the floor plan or brand of trailer you want pretty quickly.

When deciding on what will or will not work for you be honest with yourself as to what type of camping you will be doing and what you believe to be a must haves. For example I am 50/50 for being on or off power. I like to have a trailer that is very flexible in regards to where or how I camp. I don't consider an oven or a micro wave to be of high value to my style of camping, a microwave would be nice to have on occasion but I know it would simple be taking up storage space for the majority of my time out camping even if when plugged into power. I carry a small portable convection/toaster type oven hidden in a hard to get at and rarely opened storage space for the few times in a year I actually would like to use an oven.

It all comes down to what you believe you can live with or do to be comfortable on a day to day bases vs having something that bothers you each day you are out camping. For example I know from experience that for me having a full time bed is pretty well a must. I tried the take down thing every day for the first year or two I owned my trailer and it was OK but I was mostly doing 3 to 7 day trips & the occasional 2-3 week one in a year. When I started doing longer trips of a couple of weeks to a month or more several times a year the putting up and taking down of the bed every day got old fast - decided I would rather live without an inside dinette than have to put the bed away every day..... my next trailer will have both no question about it :-)

If the OP can attend a rally near them or contact the manufacture of the trailers being considered for a referral they should be able to see inside pretty well any of the layouts and brands if currently still in production first hand. Makes choosing which one is the best for their style of camping much easier.

Edit to add: Funny enough that although I love the BF and basic layout of the FB 17' I don't like the fact there is very little counter space in the kitchen area (its the same with Airstreams 19' to 20') - way less than what I have in my much smaller 16' Scamp. LOL It is indeed hard to find the perfect trailer!
Old 04-22-2014, 10:29 AM   #13

Wisconsin
Quote:
"

(PS...I think the location switch stove top/sink was not a good idea...you'd have to put up a guard (splatter on the dinette seat))
I have not seen one "in the flesh" as it were. Looking at the same pic you posted I assumed that the clear cover on the stove hinged up as a deflector and is heat resistant. Maybe not.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:37 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
I have not seen one "in the flesh" as it were. Looking at the same pic you posted I assumed that the clear cover on the stove hinged up as a deflector and is heat resistant. Maybe not.
It is.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:59 AM   #15

British Columbia
Registry
good eye, badger...LOL

yep the cover hinges alright....I agree the counter space is lacking...for my use...then again if somebody was traveling and ate out most of the time it would not be an issue...plenty of room to make coffee.

if somebody wanted to have it "all" it would be a 25 foot trailer...but that would not be for me....$$$ is one reason...size/weight would be another...let alone the fact that I'd have to get another TV...LOL

as an anecdote...an acquaintance of mine quit tent camping and decided to get a trailer...his better half insisted on a permanent bed...dealers in his area told him if he was going to be doing a lot of off-roading (he was) he should stay away from "lightweight" trailers.....end of story a month after buying the trailer he was at the truck dealership trading up from his previously perfectly good truck.....LOL

one thing that can be said about ALL fiberglass trailers is they can be modified if/when you decide you really want something different....can't say that about regular trailers...the structure is just not strong enough...I went to see a "lightweight" trailer that had been towed over a lot of rough roads....and it was ugly...close inspection revealed small wall delaminations starting and a collapsed bulkhead inside....this was only going to get worse with time.
Attached Thumbnails
fbx4.jpg  
Old 04-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #16

Registry
[QUOTE=Franswa;453943
one thing that can be said about ALL fiberglass trailers is they can be modified if/when you decide you really want something different....
.[/QUOTE]

Yes and that is why so many people are flocking to Escapes as they will do a lot of those changes and modifications right at the factor on their new builds. Helps out those of us who may not be big do it yourselfers.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #17

British Columbia
Registry
heck, you got nuttin' to complain about, Carol.....;)

I went looking at your registry....I'd say you have this small trailer camping down pat...flat screen TV and all...LOL..seriously one thing your trailer has that I find spot on is the cooktop on one side and the sink on the other....that and the half fridge creates ample counter space at BOTH locations....don't see that very often if at all

I sort of chuckle when I look at my big fridge....space could have been used better with a smaller unit I'm thinking......BF must have thought that big fridge would wow the reluctant "better halves".......most of mine will probably end up as a pantry...even if the stuff doesn't need refrigeration...

funny how this discussion started with a B17CB question and TWO CBs get posted for sale a couple of days later...
Attached Thumbnails
carolh1.jpg   bf9b.JPG  

Old 04-23-2014, 06:43 PM   #18

Wisconsin
Quote:
I sort of chuckle when I look at my big fridge....space could have been used better with a smaller unit I'm thinking......BF must have thought that big fridge would wow the reluctant "better halves".......most of mine will probably end up as a pantry...even if the stuff doesn't need refrigeration...
I would guess in the case of an insulated trailer like the Bigfoot that deer hunters dreaming of a fridge full of beer was as much the target audience as reluctant better halves.

It also explains the two small beds neither of which is big enough for a couple.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:03 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
.seriously one thing your trailer has that I find spot on is the cooktop on one side and the sink on the other....that and the half fridge creates ample counter space at BOTH locations....don't see that very often if at all
Yes the counter space is my dilemma! I like it! LOL not willing to give it up! People who have never seen that layout before are always surprised by it. But I do very much want a trailer with a full time bed and separate dinette. Have looked at a lot of trailers and it looks like I can't just move up a couple of feet to get that but need to jump up 5' to a 21' if I want to keep anywhere close to the counter space.... but not willing to upgrade the tug any further than I have to go that heavy....
Old 04-23-2014, 07:06 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
I would guess in the case of an insulated trailer like the Bigfoot that deer hunters dreaming of a fridge full of beer was as much the target audience as reluctant better halves.
Rick in these part the Bigfoot camper which also has a fairly large fridge is most poplar with the fishermen and the hunters - that way they can pull their boat in the summer and the separate trailer for hanging and hauling the deer home during hunting season.

Tags
bigfoot