Bigfoot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2009, 06:46 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi everyone,
I was able to locate a '09 Bigfoot 17.5' (new) for a reasonable price. I am trying to decide between it and an Escape, I like the Bigfoot because it is available now and the Escape would have to be built, plus all the luxury and 4 season the Bigfoot offers.
I have a few reservations about the Bigfoot, I am concerned about its width and height. I think that it would be like pulling a large trailer since it is as wide and tall and might affect gas mileage. And I am not excited about it having leaf springs.
I have a mid size SUV with 300+HP so to tow it is not a problem, but if I wanted to downsize in the future, I am concerned that I need more pulling power for it (based on appearance).
My wife is in love with it and the price.
I am just requesting others to share their experiences and opinions on these trailers.
Rob
Rob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Unhappy

Rob M,

The company went under Nov 18, 2008 and you would have no factory warranty, at least for the structure and finish. Appliances would be covered provided those companies stay afloat. While quality has generally been good, there still could be defects that would have to be dealt with. If you decide to go ahead with the purchase, you need to get some assurances from the selling party. You also might want to make sure everything is in order before you hand over the money. See buyers checklist.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... A well mannered orphan is still an orphan!!! Then again I'm prejudiced!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie p.s. Good things are worth waiting for!
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:49 PM   #4

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Rob, I'm on my second Bigfoot and would recommend it wholeheartedly, even with Bigfoot gone as a corporate entity. The leaf spring axle used on Bigfoot is just as solid a unit as the rubber torsion axles on the smaller trailers.

I've not seen the Escape in person, but like Alf there are many satisfied Escape customers on our Forums. I can tell you that Reace and Tammy run a first class operation and that they take care of their customers.

Don't be afraid of either of them.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
How do they stack up as to weight?
Randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:42 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The dealer also has a 21' Looks good and weight is 3400 dry, really thinking hard now!
Rob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 25 ft Bigfoot (25B25RQ)
Quote:
Hi everyone,
I was able to locate a '09 Bigfoot 17.5' (new) for a reasonable price. I am trying to decide between it and an Escape, I like the Bigfoot because it is available now and the Escape would have to be built, plus all the luxury and 4 season the Bigfoot offers.
I have a few reservations about the Bigfoot, I am concerned about its width and height. I think that it would be like pulling a large trailer since it is as wide and tall and might affect gas mileage. And I am not excited about it having leaf springs.
I have a mid size SUV with 300+HP so to tow it is not a problem, but if I wanted to downsize in the future, I am concerned that I need more pulling power for it (based on appearance).
I am just requesting others to share their experiences and opinions on these trailers.
Rob
Hi Rob,
I agree with Roger. As far as your concern about the axles, the semi-elliptical spring is hard to beat. I owned both and would prefer the standard spring axle over the Dexter axle. All of the rubber ones that are carrying load will give out as the rubber dies over the years. Older Airstreams have a problem with this.
I don't know much about the Escape, but the Bigfoot is insulated well and built to high standards. It is considered a "true four seasons" trailer. Not many others are.
It will weight more and have more drag because of its size. My wife and I have one and like it very much.
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
Rob;
I've had my 1993 Bigfoot 17CB for 1 1/2 full seasons and I pull it with a 2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan. I have had the mods to the minivan for the transmission and power steering coolers. It weighed out just under the max gross weight recommended by Honda, which is 3500 lbs. That was with the trailer loaded as a regular trip, with water tank full, and some grey and black water, with normal food and clothing loaded.
I get about 19L/100km with the load and about 11L/100km (I didn't translate into Imperial, or USA) without the trailer so it is a significant load on the vehicle since the gas mileage drops almost in half. However, it tows well and I've not had problems keeping up with traffic. I've put a few thousands of miles with no problems (Knock on wood!).
I do use a Weight Distribution Hitch, crucial for the Honda, and a Tekonsha P3 brake controller.
For an 'Egg' it is somewhat larger than the usual Trillium and Boler, but I do enjoy the extra features. Over the years I have had a Trillium and a L'il Bigfoot, (and a pop-up), but this one is really very nice. The beds are a bit narrow for 2, but useable.
The enclosed bathroom, with shower and hot water, is a real treat, as are the 4 burner gas stove with oven and 2 door fridge with freezer.
I don't know the Escape, but had visited the Bigfoot Factory in 1995 and was impressed with the manufacturing quality at that time.
Good luck.
Mike
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #9

Trailer: Bigfoot
Quote:
Hi everyone,
Rob
Go for it. We have a 25 RQ and I never even know it is behind our Armada unless I look in the mirror. I was afraid of the size at first but by the time I towed it home I had no concerns at all. We love it. As for warranty issues, check out this site http://www.holmesonbigfoot.com/ Mark Holmes was the warranty manager at Bigfoot and he is offering guidance on repairs.

Ron and Sandy Gove
R&SGove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Quote:
Go for it. We have a 25 RQ and I never even know it is behind our Armada unless I look in the mirror. I was afraid of the size at first but by the time I towed it home I had no concerns at all. We love it. As for warranty issues, check out this site http://www.holmesonbigfoot.com/ Mark Holmes was the warranty manager at Bigfoot and he is offering guidance on repairs.

Ron and Sandy Gove
Right on Ron.

Rob - we have an '07 25RQ and a '98 17CB. Both purchased new and both perform flawlessly and by all appearances built very well. To those that know me, I'm not known for brand loyalty of any kind but BF would be an exception [b]Both tow effortlessly.....btw...

I stress this is my personal preference - Big Foot interiors look and feel warm, polished fiberglass on the inside doesn't do it for me. that's one distinction that I made before purchasing Big Foot. I'm sure though that all current "glass" manufacturers do offer excellent products, the choice is yours!

I would not hesitate to buy another BF from the new inventory even without manufacturer support...the repair stuff can be performed by many of the "authorized" BF repair centers if necessary, not unlike if you had purchased a used trailer of any kind.

Time K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot