Bigfoot 5th wheel owners, I have a question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-09-2010, 03:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
In a recent discussion in the towing section there was some discussion about our real trailer weight vs. what the sticker in the trailer says. I was wondering what other peoples stickers say.

We have a 1987 single axle, the sticker in the closet says 3744 lbs GVWR and 540 lbs for the tongue. Our trailer weight is not anywhere close to that, it's quite a bit higher with the trailer lightly loaded.

Anyone else want to volunteer to post their sticker info?
Old 03-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Not a 5th wheel but an early 17' Bigfoot example, the closet sticker states the weight as 1875 lbs. for my 1980 15B17G. I took it to a CAT scales totally empty except for half full propane tanks. It weighs 2290 lbs. I've seen the factory sticker weight used in "for sale" ads and feel it is very misleading. I doubt anyone has a 17' Bigfoot lighter than mine.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #3

Registry
Thank you Tom! Is the 1875 listed as the GVWR?

People have suggested that we were heavily loaded which was not the case. We hope to use this trailer for longer travels (more heavily loaded) and want to be safe. We were hoping to be "legal" too.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Lizbeth, the best way to know is take your trailer down and have it weighted. Both empty then take it back and weigh it again with camping gear.

Have you ever checked out Fredericks Weights post?
His post shows a that most "sticker" weights are not actual weight of the trailer.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
sticker says "Gross Trailer or Vehicle Weight (GTW) or (GVW)" then the same thing in French (I think).
Old 03-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #6

Registry
Robin, we have had it weighed. It was very lightly loaded for a weekend trip, we could take out the things we had loaded in the trailer and weigh them on a bathroom scale. They certainly wouldn't weigh 1000+ lbs. Weighing here locally is not easy, the nearest scale is down in the LA harbor area and they don't really want to mess with people with travel trailers.

Fred is the one who weighed the trailer. We know that the numbers stated are often very misleading. We are concerned that we have a single axle trailer that loaded is probably going to weigh in at over 5000 lbs. If we were ever involved in an accident that's a scary thing to ponder, legally it could be a nightmare.

Thanks Tom, so yours is over the sticker weight empty too.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:58 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler
Hi all and Liz,
Good to hear from you.
We just are settling back in from our Feb. trip to S. Cal.It was great except for the shock of the new pricing at the State parks!!$50/night or $65 if you want beachfront and $35 with no services...Yikes!!Hello Arnie!
We had a wonderful time though, did you make it to the get together in Quartzite?
Inside our trailer cabinet is indeed the GVWR which is listed at 4974 lbs with a tongue weight (load) of 773.
We also have the original brochure from the original owner and on that it shows "approximate" dry weight of 3475....a wee bit of discrepency perhaps.
Hope all is well with you as well and that this is helpful.
Cheers,
Dave
Dave Sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:28 PM   #8

Registry
Hi Dave!
Yes we went to Quartzsite and had wonderful time! Thanks for posting your information. Refresh my memory...is your trailer a single or dual axle? Have you weighed it to see what it actually weighs?

We have not been camping in a State Park since that change, wow that is steep!
Old 03-12-2010, 06:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Deluxe
Liz,

I think the problem lies in the definition of GVWR: Gross Vehicle Weight Rating

"It’s how much weight a vehicle is designed to carry. The GVWR includes the net weight of the vehicle, plus the weight of passengers, fuel, cargo and any additional accessories. The GVWR is a safety standard used to prevent overloading."

So your closet sticker is giving you the maximum amount your camper can weigh loaded.

Dry weight is the weight of the trailer minus all fluids including propane.

Correction of my earlier post: Judging from your numbers there is definitely a problem. I wonder if there have been any mods made by previous owners that can be adding weight.

Nita
Nita F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:10 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler
Quote:
Hi Dave!
Yes we went to Quartzsite and had wonderful time! Thanks for posting your information. Refresh my memory...is your trailer a single or dual axle? Have you weighed it to see what it actually weighs?

We have not been camping in a State Park since that change, wow that is steep!
Hi Liz,
Good to hear you had a good time in Quartzite, it's a funky place indeed!
Our trailer is a dual axle and we have not had it weighed so unfortunately can't help you on that one.
Good luck with your search!
Cheers,
Dave
Dave Sled is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot