Bigfoot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2017, 06:01 PM   #1

Name: don
Trailer: Bigfoot
Ontario
Bigfoot

I have recently acquired a bigfoot 17.5 2008 with the winter package (insulated tanks and thermo windows) roof air and most of the bells and whistles. It appears to have never been used, (when I say never I mean never) basically new except it is 8 years old.
Trying to decide whether to do the minor clean ups and sell it or keep it.
Anyone have an idea what I should ask for it if I decide to sell it.

Thanks, Don in Ottawa Ontario
ottawadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
If you post some int /ext pics
I think you'll get some more qualified options

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:53 PM   #3

Name: don
Trailer: Bigfoot
Ontario
Covered in snow right now but I will have pictures soon. It is the gaucho model originally bought in march 2008 and stored ever since never used once. Interior like new exterior just needs pressure washing.
ottawadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:13 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawadon View Post
Covered in snow right now but I will have pictures soon. It is the gaucho model originally bought in march 2008 and stored ever since never used once. Interior like new exterior just needs pressure washing.
Do NOT use a pressure washer on this trailer. If it's been stored as you say, it probably just requires a good hand wash. If you use a pressure washer on it, you'll dislodge caulk, etc. Then the problems start where you didn't have any before.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:33 AM   #5

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I hadn't heard that before Donna. Is this common knowledge type info that I missed or is this based on personal experience, and a more privately held opinion?

It makes sense. I have pressure washed my Scamp once while on a trip, no bad effects noted.

You now have me wondering, do most folks avoid pressure washing while on the road? Do you carry a bucket and brush to use at a car wash while traveling? Most campgrounds do not allow washing your rig for understandable reasons.

What's the consensus?
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:09 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I have taken my Scamp to a car wash and used the pressure wand. But I only use the high pressure setting on open fiberglass, not around windows and vents. I get better results with a hand wash at home, but while on the road, used with care, it's better than nothing.

I agree with Donna's advice in this case. A pressure wash will not remove the black streaks all trailers seem to get in storage and could do harm if used indiscriminately. Best to bring it home and clean it there. A fiberglass-friendly scouring cleanser like Bar Keepers Friend may be needed.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:50 PM   #7

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
I've been following Bigfoot prices pretty close for the past couple of years. Based on asking prices listed on fiberglassrv4sale and on here and other sites I would think a 2008 in as good of condition as you stated would go for around $17,500.00 USD. Of course it's all dependent on condition, location, condition, time of year, and of course condition.

Good place to look is in the sold section of fiberglassrv4sale. Not a lot of the 2500 series hit the market but they are there.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:35 AM   #8

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
I had read that pressure washers could damage the gelcoat. We try to aim them basically up and let the water fall on the trailer, or from a long distance, then use a soft brush.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The DIY car wash stations I've seen don't have "pressure washers." They're wash wands and not much different than a home hose nozzle set on "jet." I have 1,600 PSI pressure washer and it will strip paint off my house! I'd never use it on my trailer. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:06 PM   #10

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.5fb
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
I hadn't heard that before Donna. Is this common knowledge type info that I missed or is this based on personal experience, and a more privately held opinion?

It makes sense. I have pressure washed my Scamp once while on a trip, no bad effects noted.

You now have me wondering, do most folks avoid pressure washing while on the road? Do you carry a bucket and brush to use at a car wash while traveling? Most campgrounds do not allow washing your rig for understandable reasons.

What's the consensus?

My vote is don't pressure wash. I use a plastic bucket and car wash mitt. Too much chance of blowing out a window seal, etc with pressure. Or just leave it dirty until you are home. Dirt isn't usually a problem.
Worto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:54 PM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Bigfoot

Donna was making a distinction between a high pressure wash system (that you might buy or rent to, say, strip loose paint from your house before you repaint) and the pressure wand at a commercial car wash. It's not clear which the OP meant.

I don't see any problem with sensible use of the pressure wand at a commercial car wash. Just don't stand too close or point it directly at window & door seals, vents, etc. Common sense. If I got caught on salted roads in the winter, I would want to wash it off as soon as practical, and a car wash is a good place to do it when you're away from home. Not all "dirt" is harmless.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:43 PM   #12

Name: Phil & Margot
Trailer: 1982 Boler 17' 2002 Honda Odyssey. Replaced with a 2010 Odyssey
Ottawa, Ontario
I would like to come see it as soon as it's spring.
Can you give me some contact info please.

Phil

Tags
bigfoot