Bigfoot and the Nogin Dome - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-11-2009, 09:48 PM   #15
Trailer: 2007 Casita
Steve, As I said, some may not agree. Obviously you don't agree that's fine. But as Mike said at least be careful. I can only say. No one will ever walk on any rv I own. They are not made to in my opinion.

Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:57 PM   #16
Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
Fred - Thanks to the link to Bill Abbay's photos. Enjoyed reading his mods.

I neither agree or disagree with what you said. Frankly, I don't know the roof strength of any trailer, at least in a way that can be quantified. My questions were just that, questions. I do know however that all trailers are not created equal. Some have roofs that are stronger than others. Some that I've seen appear to be nothing more than a thin layer of fiberglass without reinforcements or contours to give it additional strength. Others are obviously more substantial with reinforcements, "nogin domes", etc. and were designed to support an AC, storage and/or possibly the weight of someone walking on it. As for the Bigfoot roof construction, Bill Abbay's comment seems reasonable; "the Bigfoot roof construction .... That's more than our stick-built brethren, and very stout when walking on it."

Does anyone know if Bigfoot used plywood throughout and continuously for the roof or are there gaps in the installation? Also, are there any additional reinforcements, possibly glassed-in spars?

Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:50 PM   #17
Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Steve, I don't think our '87 roof is constructed like the Bill's newer model. I will double check but I'm pretty sure ours is just glass/foam/interior paneling. It does have side to side kerfed spars, one of which was cut almost out to run wiring.

1979 Boler B1300 | 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | We officially have a collection!
Lizbeth is online now   Reply With Quote