Bigfoot bike rack - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft Gaucho
Bigfoot bike rack

Is it possible or safe to attach a bike rack to the rear of a 17 foot bigfoot? Has anyone done this? Can you post pictures and describe what you did?
thanks very much!

Old 01-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #2

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
I'm not sure of the answer to your question but did you know there are bike racks designed for between your trailer and vehicle?

Towing Rack Hitch Bike Racks | etrailer.com

Cheers,
Mark

Old 01-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #3

I have a hollywood rack I use on the tow vehicle but it's cumbersome to use alone as well as taking off and putting on the rack.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #4

British Columbia
Registry
Is your Hollywood rack a trunk rack or a hitch rack? I've had a trunk rack before and would never do it again. Pain to take on and off and doesn't feel as secure. If you have a hitch rack and still find it cumbersome that's good feed back.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #5

not a hitch rack. It fits over the spoiler and hooks to the bottom of the bumper. It works ok but is cumbersome
Old 01-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
The folks at the Outback factory weld a 2"x2" square tube to the bumper that the spare mounts to. It is as tall as the top of the spare. At the top they have a receiver, sort of. Their bike rack plugs into this. Like a receiver, it has a pin to hold in the rack and it can be removed when not carrying bikes.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #7

Outback as in Subaru? Do you have a website with a link? Photos?
thanks
Old 01-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
This question comes up frequently on trailer forums. The main thing to consider is that bikes on a rack on the rear of a trailer will tend to bounce and flex the rack and it's mounting. I have seen rear racks break off. I have also built several rack setups on the rear of trailers, most recently on the rear of our CT13 Uhaul. You have to basically build a hitch receiver on the trailer, preferrably one that extends underneath to at least two frame crossmembers. I have also modified a hitch type rack to bolt to the tongue of our vintage teardrop camper, bikes ride much better there. Also available are the double hitch adapters to mount a bike rack above the ball mount, but they will change the tongue load on the tow vehicle. Don't do like my brother-in-law who had a receiver tube butt welded to the bumper on his popup camper, it broke off on Interstate 84 and he was dragging bikes & rack down the road til another driver got him to stop. That's the big problem with a rear rack, you can't see it while driving.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #9

British Columbia
Registry
What "Mary and Bob" said. Take a look at the link in my first post for the hitch racks. Much more stable. Much easier to deal with than a trunk rack. In the end your the one using it so do what you'll like best.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericpa3 View Post
Outback as in Subaru? Do you have a website with a link? Photos?
thanks
Um... Outback / Trillium, (not actually Trillium brand) in Calgary. See the link below. The trailer has the spare holder that I described. You can see the top of it behind the spare. The bike rack is not shown, but it sits in the top of the spare tire holder.

Reece thoen
Old 01-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #11

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
BC
Quote:
Is it possible or safe to attach a bike rack to the rear of a 17 foot bigfoot? Has anyone done this? Can you post pictures and describe what you did?
thanks very much!
This was exactly what I wanted to do until I discovered how much stress more than one bike bobbing up and down could put on the BF bumper welds. If you have the polished aluminum bumper dressing you'll also discover that there is a piece of trim that runs laterally across the bumper. To use a conventional bumper mount that would have to be removed.

The option I have been mulling over even though it is costlier, is to install a receiver on the front of our TV and place the bikes on a rack there. The rear bumper solution is less expensive but far more risk and requires the removal of the bumper dressing, in our case.

Our solution now is to remove the front wheels and put them in the TV box.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #12

Name: Don
Trailer: 17.5 Bigfoot
Ontario
Quote:
thanks very much!
I have the same Bigfoot you do. Also looking for ways to cart bikes around. I saw these Top Pop Rail [Arvika] bike racks at an RV show last year and was impressed with the sturdy quality of these units. Have since seen them in use on trailers and read good reviews over at Woodalls. If you have the fibreglass propane tank cover, some cutting or mod work will be in order. However, it should work on the front of a Bigfoot. The bike support swivels or can be easily removed if you open the front window cover. If the dealer is at this years RV show, I'll show him some pictures of the Bigfoots front end and see what he can come up with.

Arvika

http://www.arvika.ca/index.php?page=...emid=4&lang=en
Old 01-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I saw one of those Arvika racks last year at a teardrop camper gathering, I liked it. Thanks for posting that Don, I had forgotten about it. Bob
Old 01-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #14

That Arvika setup looks slick! I spoke with Bigfoot a couple of weeks ago and they warned me about adding to tongue weight (by adding to the back of the trailer). they said it might be possible if I didn't exceed certain weight guidelines.

thanks !

Tags
bigfoot