Bigfoot closing? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-19-2008, 06:21 PM   #15

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Here's a site that was posted to the Yahoo Scampers site regarding the Bigfoot closure.

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/

Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:35 PM   #16

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Also confirmed on CBC radio right now - they had the mayor of the local city on discussing what a blow this was to the community. Sad story.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:45 PM   #17

Name: Domenica and Sheila
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Oregon
This is sad news. S&I have always loved Bigfoot for all their differences - wider, cold weather insulation, floor plans and high(est) quality. Don't get me wrong, I love our casita SD, but the difference in price between the casita and the bigfoot buys quite a bit, if you ask me.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:06 PM   #18

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... This is very sad news indeed!!! Fiberglass comes fiberglass goes. Why do some endure and some don't???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 11-19-2008, 09:41 PM   #19

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Hi: All... This is very sad news indeed!!! Fiberglass comes fiberglass goes. Why do some endure and some don't???
Same reason GM, Ford and Chrysler are in such trouble. They didn't read the market and didn't respond fast enough. Like 10 years ago.
Bigfoot has a rep for heavy, heavily insulated trailers and campers. That's great for guys with full size pickups with V8s who go hunting. Then people began to frown on hunting and gas guzzlers. Those in the market were looking for light-weight trailers with solar panels.

I have an idea for window boxes for herb gardens that can be retro-fitted to light weight trailers. Anybody care to join me in this enterprise?

baglo
Old 11-19-2008, 09:53 PM   #20

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
I saw a post on another forum last night with the link to the tv report. I'm really sorry for all the employees in this small town, and for the owners, as well. I've only seen a few Bigfoot campers, but they looked like "rock solid" product.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:45 PM   #21

Name: Karen
Trailer: Formerly Bigfoot 25RB21 and Scamp 19
Colorado
Quote:
Same reason GM, Ford and Chrysler are in such trouble. They didn't read the market and didn't respond fast enough.
Unlike GM, Ford and Chrysler, though, Bigfoot had been making a very high-quality product. I looked at a lot of poorly made, equally expensive campers before I found my used Bigfoot. It was obvious they put their money into building a solid product. This is very sad news.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:33 AM   #22

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Sad news indeed for the employees, the town of Armstrong and the Bigfoot owners still in the warranty period. It appears that the news leaked out Tuesday after the plant was closed down, something to do with a creditor. It has been a tough few months for businesses (and individuals) that need to borrow money. As Bigfoot owners we may be joining the ranks of the "orphan" fiberglass trailers, which is pretty good company when you think about it! Although I'm disappointed, I'm still pleased to own a Bigfoot.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:25 AM   #23

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
Same reason GM, Ford and Chrysler are in such trouble. They didn't read the market and didn't respond fast enough. Like 10 years ago.
Bigfoot has a rep for heavy, heavily insulated trailers and campers. That's great for guys with full size pickups with V8s who go hunting. Then people began to frown on hunting and gas guzzlers. Those in the market were looking for light-weight trailers with solar panels.

baglo

Apparently that's not the case. If you read the article that [b]Joy A linked to in post #15 in this thread:

Interview with Beau Derkey sales rep at Bigfoot

The closure was caused by a panic decision by a bank, not Bigfoot management. Bigfoot marketed specialty trailers and motorhomes and had only one other competitor in their niche in trailers... Arctic Fox. Their prime competition in motorhomes is Born Free built here in Iowa. Both businesses were slower, but neither was in danger of collapse from within, and if the article is accurate, there was no thought of closing by management. The market remains for their products.

Roger
Old 11-20-2008, 06:53 AM   #24

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...It's sad that BIG Banks, BIG Insurance, BIG Oil...BIG Etc. control everything despite what others say!!! Maybe Bigfoot will be able to re finance or re emerge from this financial plug pulling.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:31 AM   #25

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
This same thing happened to many of the other brands that we tow. Back in the late seventy's and eighty's, we had an oil crisis that caught many FG manufactures off guard. Thus the gap in age between some of what we are now rebuilding as vintage FG units.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:54 PM   #26

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Yeah, I was sad hearing the news, first for Bigfoot as a brand, then for the small BC town that relied on it in a big way. It's a shame the bank had a panic attack (I'd like to know which one), this is starting to feel like the (Canadian) recession of 1982, when a lot of loans were called.

On the bright side, Boler ceased production way back when and we still have them on the road. Well-built! Helpful websites with schematics and original owners manuals! Bigfoot LIVES!
Old 11-20-2008, 09:36 PM   #27

Name: Richard
Trailer: Bigfoot
Kentucky
So, I agree....schematics and instruction manuals. So where would we keep a repository? It would be a good idea because the bank owns the company now make no mistake about it. I scan a lot of docs and putting them on a CD makes sense to me.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:38 PM   #28

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
It is tough. There are several RV manufacturers in the Okanagan valley. Okanagan, located in Penticton shut down operations several months ago. Local company in my town makes windows for RV so that will have an impact. Northern Lite is having a tough time, they have gone to four day work week but they are also being agressive on the sales side and taking 5 models of fiberglass campers to the RV trade show in Kentucky, a thread on the truck camper forum noted above says this is the first time in 20 years. They also make a quality unit specializing in truck campers but also making a trailer.

Tags
bigfoot