Bigfoot closing? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2008, 07:52 AM   #41

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Quote:
They currently have a 25' Bigfoot travel trailer that they will let go at cost plus $500 the only problem is if you had any mfg. warranty issue other than applicances etc. you are out of luck.
Kent, just wondering why that dealer wouldn't for the first year at least, warranty items on any trailer they sell? I can understand the bigger manufactured defects like a frame as example would be factory repairs not covered now, but other items that are easily fixed at the dealer?
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:42 AM   #42

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Bigfoot RVs definitely carried a high sticker price, and this was especially true as the Can$ increased against the US$ during 2007. The dealer in Sacramento had some trailers and motorhomes that were on the lot for a long time. Some lucky folks bought these at a substantial discount when they were eventually cleared out. However, I suspect that many new Bigfoot RVs were purchased by folks who were willing to pay the price, at least until the credit crisis came along. We bought ours used for substantially less than the $24K price it carried in 2004, but granted it was 3 years old ($17,500). I consider it a fair price.

Bigfoot Industries closed down last Tuesday, Nov 18, exactly one week ago. It is a private company and very little information has leaked out. Knowing that the closing was precipitated by their bank, it is likely that, were it not for the credit crisis, Bigfoot might still be chugging along. The credit crisis is a big deal, and unfortunately we haven't seen the end of it yet.

Whether someone should go out and buy a Bigfoot now is a personal choice. There is no factory warranty, as the sales rep Beau stated in the article. It is my understanding that this is bankruptcy. Some of the dealers might offer something of a warranty and it is certainly something to ask about, if you are going to make a purchase. Most extended warranties pick up where the factory warranty ends, which could be a problem if there is no factory warranty in the first place. Ask before buying! Get assurances in writing! Keep in mind that the level of quality has been good, but there also have been some defects. Don't expect perfection! Production numbers are not high, as is true of other fiberglass trailers. For example, the recall of 2003-2007 21 FB trailers was 80 units. Ballast weight of 275# was added to the tongue to increase tongue weight.

This advice is offered by someone who has shopped for about 3 years and owned since June 2007. We are replacing our stinky plastic toilet with one like our Casita had, a Sealand Traveller Lite, model 111. Otherwise, no problems with the Bigfoot. :-)
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:32 AM   #43

I've noticed that Big Foot sales in our area don't seem to have slowed down. Only one unit left on the local dealer's lot and it's a camper. Some of the units sold recently were on the higher end but I don't know the final selling prices.

Oh, we recieved our official letter the other day on warranty support at the dealer level. There won't be any. If our 25rq holds up as well as our 17cb, I'm not too concerned.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:11 PM   #44

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
My concerns about the absence of a warranty on a new Bigfoot are not great. I purchased a new Bigfoot 21' in 2004, enjoyed it tremendously for four years, and then sold it. If I find a new Bigfoot that suits me at what I consider to be a reasonable price I will be a buyer again. I have checked and I know where all of the new ones are. I just don't like the prices right now.

The "Bigfoot" portion of the trailer is the frame, the fiberglass shell, the interior cabinets - trim, and the wiring & plumbing. This includes the propane piping and fittings. The plumbing may leak but that is easy to fix unless the fresh water tank or one of the waste tanks develops a leak. The wiring is where you are most likely to have a problem. Take the time to thoroughly check the wiring and plumbing system before you buy any trailer new or used. Also spray the trailer with water and check for leaks. This is something you should do no matter what brand of trailer it is. If a problem develops later it is just a matter of running it down and fixing it. A structural crack in the fiberglass shell would be a huge concern but that is very unlikely. Still it could be repaired at a fiberglass shop. If the frame is ok to start with there won't be any problems. The rest of the trailer consists of standard RV appliances and components. Most are covered under individual components manufacturer's warranties. If the components are working properly to start with they are unlikely to fail and if they do they are repairable.

There is one thing that could be a real problem. That is if you damage or loose the fiberglass tank cover or front storage compartment lid. The lid to my tank cover blew off while driving during a thunder storm in Saskatchewan. Fortunately I was able to get a replacement from Bigfoot. That would not be possible now with them out of business.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:18 AM   #45

I wonder how long the BF website will continue to operate? Any further word on the operations?
Attached Thumbnails
Snowy_BigFoot.jpg  
Old 12-27-2008, 10:11 AM   #46

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Unless Bigfoot asks the hosting company to have the site pulled down it will probably be up until their hosting runs out - however, look at the Burro site - it's still up after 5 or so years.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:35 AM   #47

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
Quote:
I wonder how long the BF website will continue to operate? Any further word on the operations?
It would be no surprise if the website went down. I noticed there are some PDF files on it that can be downloaded and copied. If you have an interest in Bigfoot it would be a good idea to make a copy of these for future reference. There will be used ones on the market for several years.

I think everyone hopes that Bigfoot can be revived somehow. That is possible. It is a matter of funding and that could come from investors or other stronger companies. Obviously any new owners or financiers would have to believe there is a reasonable chance of returning the company to profitability.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:49 AM   #48

Can you imagine if Casita resurrected Big Foot and Burro? That would be one Big Burrita!
Old 02-01-2009, 05:38 AM   #49

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Tuesday there was an auction of Bigfoot assets and there is a post on the Bigfoot Owners Forum saying that someone bought the company name, website, molds, etc. We are hoping that the company will be resurrected.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:33 PM   #50

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
I have friends involved with Northern Lite who were sharing with me their stories about the auction for Bigfoot. I gather there were hundreds interested . It sounds like it was interesting mix of group interested including former Bigfoot staff, management etc. People were purchasing the moulds , rights to the name, brand etc. I did not get all the details but my friend did share that the people who bought moulds , etc. are not presently in the RV industry and so they are going to be curious to see how this all plays out. It will be interesting times as purchased items needed to be removed fairly quickly which included moulds frozen onto the ground that they are resting. All the best to the entrepeneurs willing to take the risk and all the best to the other manufacturerrs who hopefully can hang tough during this time of reduced sales.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:41 PM   #51

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
Thumbs down

I have heard from a Bigfoot dealer that a construction company bought most of the items at the auction sale and they intend on resufacing the bigfoot product. He also qualified that by saying they intended to run it for a few years and then re-sell it. Sounds like a lot of gossip so take it as you will.

With regards to warrenty. I just bought a 25FB from a BC RV dealer and got the the 3-year First Canadian extended warranty thrown in. Dealer said it was a better deal than the original 1-year warranty from Bigfoot. Again, I took my chances, everyone else take this information as you will.
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot