Bigfoot towing ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-25-2015, 04:46 PM   #1

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Bigfoot towing ?

I currently have a EggCamper and I love it! But I have the opportunity to buy a 21 ft. bigfoot camper witch will give me the abality to camp in more extreme weather conditions. My current TV is a 2006 SAB it has a straight 6 in it. I cant afford to up grade my TV right now. What do you all think about puling it with this TV?
I hate to let my eggcamper go! I'm torn so I need your help!

Towing capacity: 5,500 to 6,500 lbs
Old 11-25-2015, 04:55 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Those BigFoots can get a bit on the heavier side for FGRV's, especially with the all seasons kit. Here's some actual weights for a few, but options aren't shown.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

What is the exact model number of your Saab?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:15 PM   #3

New York
Registry
Bob it's a 9 7x
Old 11-25-2015, 05:38 PM   #4

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I can give you my experience with the '06 25RQ. I towed it with an '07 Nissan Titan King Cab 4WD. It had a 5600 lb curb weight. The 21 is about 5200lbs. The 21 also had issues with weight distribution contributing to sway, and the factory "fix" for it was to weld a couple of hundred pounds of ballast onto the tongue. I never really understood the 21' market... it was almost as heavy as the 25RQ, and was more cramped than the 17... the bed is a corner double that is hard to make.

Anyway I towed my 25 RQ some 20,000 miles in nine years with the Titan and came to the conclusion that the square frontal area was more important to the difficulty of towing than was the weight. And i wouldn't have wanted any less of a truck to tow the 25RQ with. I had a 7500 lb Ford Excursion V10 when I bought the Titan, and frankly I wish I'd never sold it as my tow vehicle. I don't see any reason that the 21 would be any different at all with a mere 400 lb difference in curb weight that is completely negated if it's had the sway "fix" ballast installed.

YMMV.
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:58 PM   #5

New York
Registry
Thanks Roger that was a huge help
I was worried about every thing you commentated about. Sounds like I should stick with my Egg for now and just burn more propane.
I really want a escape 5.0 any way. I just have to wait until the day I sell my home.
Thanks guys!!!!!!!!
Old 11-25-2015, 06:09 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I sorta found the same thing, both on the BigFoot as well as on several Saab sites with posts about towing. It will be right at your towing limit and that "Fix" mentioned may exceed your tongue weight capacity.

I don't know if you can find the thread, but there was one about a 21' BigFoot that a lady in Utah bought with that added "Anti-Sway" fix and it wasn't kind to the solution.

Hopefully she or someone with the same trailer will respond.

May I suggest that you re-enter your thread with the entire BigFoot model in the title, it may draw better attention to that model. Something like "HELP BigFoot 21' towing info needed"

Good luck

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:22 PM   #7

New York
Registry
Thanks Bob I think I am just going to stick with my Eggcamper and wait until I can find or afford a escape 5.0.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-26-2015, 04:45 PM   #8

Name: DiAnn
Trailer: Bigfoot TT
AZ
We tow our 2003 21'BF with a Ford F150 4x4 v8. Have had no sway issues thus far(Seattle through CA to AZ....so far). Had a 16' Scamp prior. Loved it, but a tad too small for us. Bigfoot is a great trailer.
dibot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot