bigfoot weight distribution hitch - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #15

Name: Jay
Trailer: 2005 Bigfoot 25B17.5G. Pulled by a 2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
Oregon
First Generation Tundra SR5 suspension

TJ,

True, new Tundras (2007 to present) are a very different truck than the first generation Tundras. Also, having driven both the first generation Tundra trim lines (SR5 and TRD); the TRD suspension seems much stiffer than the SR5 and is probably the better suspension for towing travel trailer.

Looks like sunshine today on the Oregon coast today and I will finally have an opportunity to install the Andersen WDH. First step - paint the steel bolts and nuts with Rustoleum or POR-15.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #16

Name: Lonny
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21FB
British Columbia
I have had both the 15B17CB and now a 25B175CB and there is a significant difference in their towing with the same vehicle. The newer 17.5 tows just like a "drunken sailor" as said previously. The older 17 towed really nice and obviously the weight distribution of this trailer is a little better than the newer version. Plus the tanks were mid and under, where the newer 17.5 has the fresh water tank inside the rear sofa.

I have a WD hitch but without the sway control and it makes little difference to sway. I too have been looking at the Andersen Hitch and its on the To Buy list for this coming spring.

I did find that I have installed shocks to my trailer axle and the difference is unbelievable. It has brought the sway into control and now can cruise easily at highway speeds without the regular white knuckle two handed life or death grip on the wheel and looking at the next exits RV park as the settled for destination. I highly recommend that modification and it will be first up when we upgrade to a 21' BF.

Hope that helps!

Old 10-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
It's interesting that the towing characteristics are so different between the 17 and 17.5 models. Makes me glad to have an older 17, which tows like a dream as long as you don't watch your fuel gauge. ;-)

FWIW, my 1989 "gaucho" model has the fresh water tank just aft of the wheel well on the right side under the gaucho. Water heater is left front. Gray and black tanks are aft of the left wheel well underneath. Mine actually sits a little high on the right side unless I fill the fresh water tank, which I rarely do. Either way, it tows straight as an arrow, pavement or gravel/dirt, rain, wind or sunshine, with no WDH or sway control device. This is with a 4" lift from a straight-axle conversion too. I guess I lucked out on this.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #18

Name: Jay
Trailer: 2005 Bigfoot 25B17.5G. Pulled by a 2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
Oregon
tj -
Years ago, I once had a 1993 Bigfoot 17CB. I do not recall towing issues. This weekend I installed an Andersen "No Sway WDH" on my 2005 Bigfoot 17G. Easy to install. No cutting of the shroud was needed. I have not tried it out yet. See my pictures at: Andersen Hitch - No Need to Cut that Bigfoot Propane Tank Cover!
Old 12-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #19

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Quebec
I know I'm late with my remarks but we have a Pro Pride Hitch installed, also designed by Henderson, Installation was not straight forward for us. Required modification of the battery box as well. WE DID NOT INSTALL the weight distribution jacks from them but used their bars with a standard chain and hinge system. I must say it works great.
Attached Thumbnails
bigfoot+cher.jpg  
Old 12-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #20
SRD

Name: s
Trailer: none
us
Quote:
Originally Posted by giro53 View Post
I know I'm late with my remarks but we have a Pro Pride Hitch installed, also designed by Henderson, Installation was not straight forward for us. Required modification of the battery box as well. WE DID NOT INSTALL the weight distribution jacks from them but used their bars with a standard chain and hinge system. I must say it works great.
Nice looking trailer. I'll bet the optional front cargo box comes in handy. I looked into the ProPride but opted for a Hensley because of the weight distribution jack location. The owner of ProPride mentioned that an alternative was possible. It looks like you were wise enough to listen to their suggestion.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #21

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Quebec
The storage in front is extremely handy. We visited Bigfoot when we were in BC and they said they were considering making it standard rather than an option on their new trailers.
Ny the way, Sorry about the name Henderson in relation to the hitch, I did really mean Hensley. I would expect that both these hitches would be very similar although installation on the Bigfoot may have been easier with the Hensley. I think the jacks are further off center for the Hensley as compared to the PP.

Tags
bigfoot, weight