bigfoot weight distribution hitch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #1

Name: Melissa
Trailer: Bigfoot
Oregon
Registry
bigfoot weight distribution hitch

We have an appointment to get a weight distribution hitch on Monday. We have a 17.5 Bigfoot with CB. What is the best way to make the cutout on the frame cover for the lift brackets?
Old 09-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #2

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
Cutouts for Bigfoot 17 WDH

Leave the propane/cover off while the WDH gets set up properly.
Then measure, measure, measure the positions for the cutouts.
Use a small paint can or other circular container (Margarine, etc.) that seems to be a good size and trace out a half circle on each side of the cover.
It's actually a good idea to use painter's masking tape on the cover before you trace the cutout so that you're cutting through the tape, minimizing chips on the edge. Use a fairly fine blade on an electric scroll saw and cut out the holes.
Peel off the tape and lightly sand the sharp edges and you're done!
Good luck.
Mike .....>
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
SRD

Name: s
Trailer: none
us
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pupeza View Post
Leave the propane/cover off while the WDH gets set up properly.
Then measure, measure, measure the positions for the cutouts.
Use a small paint can or other circular container (Margarine, etc.) that seems to be a good size and trace out a half circle on each side of the cover.
It's actually a good idea to use painter's masking tape on the cover before you trace the cutout so that you're cutting through the tape, minimizing chips on the edge. Use a fairly fine blade on an electric scroll saw and cut out the holes.
Peel off the tape and lightly sand the sharp edges and you're done!
Good luck.
Mike .....>
My stomach tightens every time this subject comes up about cutting the front shroud on a Bigfoot. If you're dead set on going through it everything above sounds good except using a saw blade, large number of teeth per inch or otherwise. They all tend to leave a jagged edge to some degree with the gel coat being the most susceptible to chipping. A smoother cut can be made with an electric or pneumatic rotary cutting wheel. If you haven't purchased the hitch you may want to consider a Hensley, either standard or Cub model. Both do not require as much intrusion into the shroud as conventional weight distribution hitches. Hope this help.
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
My stomach tightens every time this subject comes up about cutting the front shroud on a Bigfoot...
If you haven't purchased the hitch you may want to consider a Hensley, either standard or Cub model. Both do not require as much intrusion into the shroud as conventional weight distribution hitches.
An interesting suggestion, but you could just buy a replacement shroud if you mess up the cutting, rather than paying the extra thousand dollars (beyond the price of a common WDH) for a Hensley Arrow!

The brackets of an Andersen "No-Sway" WDH might fit with less (or no) shroud trimming - I don't know, but it wouldn't hurt to check if considering alternate WDH designs.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
SRD

us
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
An interesting suggestion, but you could just buy a replacement shroud if you mess up the cutting, rather than paying the extra thousand dollars (beyond the price of a common WDH) for a Hensley Arrow!

The brackets of an Andersen "No-Sway" WDH might fit with less (or no) shroud trimming - I don't know, but it wouldn't hurt to check if considering alternate WDH designs.
The Andersen has an interesting friction type sway control design, one that I hadn't seen before. Thanks for mentioning it. It still requires cutting the shroud at the frame mounting, although not as much as some of the other weight distribution hitches.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #6

Name: Melissa
Trailer: Bigfoot
Oregon
Registry
Thank you for all the feedback. I just ordered the Andersen "No-sway" WDH online. I think we have enough play on the shroud to avoid any cutting but will keep you posted when we receive it.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
No Cutting - Bigfoot Propane Cover and Andersen WDH

I just purchased an Andersen WDH for my 2005 Bigfoot 17.5G on EBAY. My current plan is install the Andersen without cutting the Bigfoot's propane tank cover. I plan to remove the fiberglass cover from the frame; attach the Andersen WDH to the frame; insert washers on the sheet metal screws between the fiberglass cover and the frame to give the Andersen bolt heads a bit of room, reattach the fiberglass cover, and be done. This experiment will be conducted as soon as the rain stops on the Oregon Coast.
Jay Moeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
SRD

us
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Moeller View Post
I just purchased an Andersen WDH for my 2005 Bigfoot 17.5G on EBAY. My current plan is install the Andersen without cutting the Bigfoot's propane tank cover. I plan to remove the fiberglass cover from the frame; attach the Andersen WDH to the frame; insert washers on the sheet metal screws between the fiberglass cover and the frame to give the Andersen bolt heads a bit of room, reattach the fiberglass cover, and be done. This experiment will be conducted as soon as the rain stops on the Oregon Coast.
That should work. The only limitation that I can see is at the front where the shroud has limited movement across the width of the frame. The result will probably be a slight bow along the bottom. Give it a try and let us know how it looks.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yes please, don't cut the shroud unless you absolutely need to. Is Bigfoot even making a replacement shroud? DON'T ASSUME! Over the years, I remember folks looking for the propane hatch, etc. and couldn't find replacements. YES, I know that was during BigFoot's Dark Time....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
I have a different take on this and question the wisdom of a WDH at all with a 17/17.5 foot Bigfoot. What kind of tow vehicle do you have? The thing is the axle load on even a mildly loaded 17/17.5' BF is nearly at the axle limit. I would be cautious about transferring even more weight to that axle. I'd rather have the TV take the weight. Easy for me to say, I tow a 17' BF with a Tundra. I barely know it's there and I just towed it from Alaska to California with no WDH and no sway control and it towed like a dream. Gas mileage is another story but the trailer was stable as a rock even on the worst roads. I would be cautious about a WDH with one of these trailers. I had one when I towed it with a Montero Sport and found it to be useless with that vehicle as well. It was more level and towed much better without it.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #11

Andersen WDH on Toyota Tundra and Bigfoot 17.5

TJ-
According to advertising claims, the Andersen hitch is designed to correct both sway and sag without anti-sway bars. I hope to use the Andersen to solve both issues in my Bigfoot 17.5G without cutting holes in the propane tank cover.

Like you, I too have a Toyota Tundra and a 17.5 Bigfoot. However, unlike your trip down the Alcan, when my Tundra towed the "new-to-me" Bigfoot down western interstates and mountain passes this summer it did not behave very well. My Tundra is a 2006. Double Cab, 4x4, SR5 with a factory installed tow package and 17 inch wheels. Maybe you have a different model or the TRD trim package? Maybe the highway conditions and landscape we traveled is different?

SWAY - At speeds over 60 MPH, in the wind, and on curvy roads the Bigfoot swayed like a drunken sailor trying to follow the Tundra's dance leads. My previous trailer, a Burro 17' Wide Body, that weighed less than 1/2 of the Bigfoot, never behaved like that. I experimented with shifting weight from center of the Bigfoot cabin to a more forward position but it did not help. I hope the Andersen will reduce sway and keep the two rigs in-line.

SAG and BOUNCE - I think the suspension in the SR5 trim package is tuned for comfort, not for hauling. I weighed the Tundra and Bigfoot at a state weigh station, pulled out my handy smart phone calculator, and did the math. The hitch weight of the Bigfoot combined with the weight of the camping supplies stored inside the bed of the Tundra and Bigfoot cabin was only a few lbs. less than the Tundra's rear axle limit. So, I am hoping the WDH will move some of the weight off the Tundra's rear axle and onto the other two axles - the Tundra's front axle and the Bigfoot's single axle.

The final factor in the decision to purchase the Andersen WDH was the Tundra owner's manual which recommends a weight distribution hitch when towing a travel trailer.

Just waiting for the Oregon coastal rain to stop for a day or two so can hook up the Andersen WDH to see if the Bigfoot's sway and bray can be tamed to follow the Tundra's lead without cutting holes for anti-sway bars.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
SRD

us
Quote:
TJ-
According to advertising claims, the Andersen hitch is designed to correct both sway and sag without anti-sway bars. I hope to use the Andersen to solve both issues in my Bigfoot 17.5G without cutting holes in the propane tank cover.

Like you, I too have a Toyota Tundra and a 17.5 Bigfoot. However, unlike your trip down the Alcan, when my Tundra towed the "new-to-me" Bigfoot down western interstates and mountain passes this summer it did not behave very well. My Tundra is a 2006. Double Cab, 4x4, SR5 with a factory installed tow package and 17 inch wheels. Maybe you have a different model or the TRD trim package? Maybe the highway conditions and landscape we traveled is different?

SWAY - At speeds over 60 MPH, in the wind, and on curvy roads the Bigfoot swayed like a drunken sailor trying to follow the Tundra's dance leads. My previous trailer, a Burro 17' Wide Body, that weighed less than 1/2 of the Bigfoot, never behaved like that. I experimented with shifting weight from center of the Bigfoot cabin to a more forward position but it did not help. I hope the Andersen will reduce sway and keep the two rigs in-line.

SAG and BOUNCE - I think the suspension in the SR5 trim package is tuned for comfort, not for hauling. I weighed the Tundra and Bigfoot at a state weigh station, pulled out my handy smart phone calculator, and did the math. The hitch weight of the Bigfoot combined with the weight of the camping supplies stored inside the bed of the Tundra and Bigfoot cabin was only a few lbs. less than the Tundra's rear axle limit. So, I am hoping the WDH will move some of the weight off the Tundra's rear axle and onto the other two axles - the Tundra's front axle and the Bigfoot's single axle.

The final factor in the decision to purchase the Andersen WDH was the Tundra owner's manual which recommends a weight distribution hitch when towing a travel trailer.

Just waiting for the Oregon coastal rain to stop for a day or two so can hook up the Andersen WDH to see if the Bigfoot's sway and bray can be tamed to follow the Tundra's lead without cutting holes for anti-sway bars.
Jay,
Have you weighed the tongue on the Bigfoot directly?
Old 10-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #13

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
However, unlike your trip down the Alcan, when my Tundra towed the "new-to-me" Bigfoot down western interstates and mountain passes this summer it did not behave very well. My Tundra is a 2006. Double Cab, 4x4, SR5 with a factory installed tow package and 17 inch wheels. Maybe you have a different model or the TRD trim package? Maybe the highway conditions and landscape we traveled is different? SWAY - At speeds over 60 MPH, in the wind, and on curvy roads the Bigfoot swayed like a drunken sailor trying to follow the Tundra's dance leads. My previous trailer, a Burro 17' Wide Body, that weighed less than 1/2 of the Bigfoot, never behaved like that.
I'm guessing, but I bet the difference is that he has a full-size.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #14

Alaska
Registry
Yep, I have a 2012 Tundra. I understand the tongue weight issue although I'm surprised the last gen Tundra is so different in that regard. Not only did I have the trailer weight on the rear end but the entire truck bed loaded with all the personal belongings I drag back and forth between Alaska and California. The tongue still sat exactly where it needed to be.

As far as sway, which you described as "At speeds over 60 MPH, in the wind, and on curvy roads the Bigfoot swayed like a drunken sailor...", this is the exact opposite of my experience, and I did all of that too. I got stuck in those crazy winds in Washington State the other day and the trailer was a steady as could be. A few times I got up to 75 MPH and needless to say, I saw plenty of curvy roads on this 4,000 mile trip.

It makes me wonder if there isn't another issue going on, like perhaps a worn out suspension, old or inappropriate tires, or improper loading of the trailer. Once moving the tow vehicle shouldn't matter much when it comes to sway. If yours is all over the place, perhaps looking for the cause of the problem might be a better place to start than trying to fix it by adding another device. Just a thought.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #15

First Generation Tundra SR5 suspension

TJ,

True, new Tundras (2007 to present) are a very different truck than the first generation Tundras. Also, having driven both the first generation Tundra trim lines (SR5 and TRD); the TRD suspension seems much stiffer than the SR5 and is probably the better suspension for towing travel trailer.

Looks like sunshine today on the Oregon coast today and I will finally have an opportunity to install the Andersen WDH. First step - paint the steel bolts and nuts with Rustoleum or POR-15.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #16

Name: Lonny
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21FB
British Columbia
I have had both the 15B17CB and now a 25B175CB and there is a significant difference in their towing with the same vehicle. The newer 17.5 tows just like a "drunken sailor" as said previously. The older 17 towed really nice and obviously the weight distribution of this trailer is a little better than the newer version. Plus the tanks were mid and under, where the newer 17.5 has the fresh water tank inside the rear sofa.

I have a WD hitch but without the sway control and it makes little difference to sway. I too have been looking at the Andersen Hitch and its on the To Buy list for this coming spring.

I did find that I have installed shocks to my trailer axle and the difference is unbelievable. It has brought the sway into control and now can cruise easily at highway speeds without the regular white knuckle two handed life or death grip on the wheel and looking at the next exits RV park as the settled for destination. I highly recommend that modification and it will be first up when we upgrade to a 21' BF.

Hope that helps!
lonnyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #17

Alaska
Registry
It's interesting that the towing characteristics are so different between the 17 and 17.5 models. Makes me glad to have an older 17, which tows like a dream as long as you don't watch your fuel gauge. ;-)

FWIW, my 1989 "gaucho" model has the fresh water tank just aft of the wheel well on the right side under the gaucho. Water heater is left front. Gray and black tanks are aft of the left wheel well underneath. Mine actually sits a little high on the right side unless I fill the fresh water tank, which I rarely do. Either way, it tows straight as an arrow, pavement or gravel/dirt, rain, wind or sunshine, with no WDH or sway control device. This is with a 4" lift from a straight-axle conversion too. I guess I lucked out on this.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #18

tj -
Years ago, I once had a 1993 Bigfoot 17CB. I do not recall towing issues. This weekend I installed an Andersen "No Sway WDH" on my 2005 Bigfoot 17G. Easy to install. No cutting of the shroud was needed. I have not tried it out yet. See my pictures at: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ver-61608.html
Old 12-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #19

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Ontario
I know I'm late with my remarks but we have a Pro Pride Hitch installed, also designed by Henderson, Installation was not straight forward for us. Required modification of the battery box as well. WE DID NOT INSTALL the weight distribution jacks from them but used their bars with a standard chain and hinge system. I must say it works great.
Attached Thumbnails
bigfoot+cher.jpg  
Old 12-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #20
SRD

us
Quote:
Originally Posted by giro53 View Post
I know I'm late with my remarks but we have a Pro Pride Hitch installed, also designed by Henderson, Installation was not straight forward for us. Required modification of the battery box as well. WE DID NOT INSTALL the weight distribution jacks from them but used their bars with a standard chain and hinge system. I must say it works great.
Nice looking trailer. I'll bet the optional front cargo box comes in handy. I looked into the ProPride but opted for a Hensley because of the weight distribution jack location. The owner of ProPride mentioned that an alternative was possible. It looks like you were wise enough to listen to their suggestion.

Tags
bigfoot, weight