Bigfoots, and this & that.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2006, 02:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Yesterday we drove about 50 miles out to Mira Loma to the new Redneck Trailer Supply to order the new axle for the Boler. I'm recovering nicely from surgery I had on 3-6 and am excited about finally getting back to working on the poor thing. I'm still on "light duty" but there are loads of light duty things that need to be finished!

While driving home we decided to take the scenic route than the freeway. We drove through Norco which is a more "rural" area of So Cal where there is horse property. My dad used to live there and I was able to find his ex house. I'd love to live out there so I could have my RVs and junk without worrying about what the city or my neighbors think. We picked up some property ads to dream about.

We were driving along the main street back to the freeway and out of the corner of my eye I spotted a RV dealer, swiveled my head and started chanting Bigfoot, Bigfoot, Bigfoot! My husband turned around without my having to ask him.

There were 8 on the lot, 6 17.5fters in both floor plans and 2 21fters in the rear bed floorplan. Wow they are nice, dual pane windows, wood cabinets, tasteful fabrics and window coverings, very good fit and finish.....we looked at the price sheets and gasped! The 17.5 are $27,000 and the 21 are $31,500! That's a chunk of change. Then my husband who is 6'2" started trying beds, all were to short, we'd have to cut off his feet or head. He thought that was pretty funny considering the price!

So now I have to research brake controllers and order one. I'm rally excited about the new axle with brakes and seeing the Bigfeets was fun too.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 35 ft Park Model
Hi Lizbeth:

Your comment about the bed length troubled me because I've never had a problem with it @ 6 feet tall. I wondered if the newer trailers are different than mine although I seriously doubt it. Anywho......... I just went outside and measured the bed myself: 78 long x 54 wide. (That's 6'6")

On another note: Just before I saw your post I was sidetracked by an Airstream Bambi 19, the bed in that is only 75 x 48. Some dealer here wants $56,000.00 CDN wow!
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 05:58 PM   #3

Registry
Rick do you have the 21.5 with the fulltime bed back next to the bathroom? He didn't try that bed because there were people in the trailer. Neither of the 17s beds/dinettes allowed him to actually lie flat. They were also way to narrow to conside for two people.... so both the bed and dinette would have to be converted at night.

I love the way Airstreams look on the outside. I'm not too fond of the insides, the floor plans I've seen don't suit my tastes.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 1994 Lil Bigfoot and 1967 Traveleze Royal Traveler
Quote:
Then my husband who is 6'2" started trying beds, all were to short, we'd have to cut off his feet or head. He thought that was pretty funny considering the price!

I was out at Fred's RV world a while back and I took my tape measure. All of the beds in the 17.5 models looked to be long enough for my 6'2'ness. Did your husband remove the cushions before he lay down?

They're pretty smart up in Canada, I'm having a hard time believing they think everyone who RV's is only 5' tall.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:31 PM   #5

Registry
Well I probably could have jumped up and down on him and tamped him in. Really, his feet were flat on the wall and his head was hitting the wardrobe or the storage at one side of the dinette. Of course the full time beds in the bigger models would work but we were looking at the smaller ones.

He was impressed that he could stand up in them and not hit his head. He could sleep standing up!
Old 03-22-2006, 10:40 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Lizbeth, Lizbeth, Lizbeth..

I drive by that place everyday on my way to work, and I still crank my head over to have a peek.

Ya shoulda called.. you were a couple miles from my work!

Oh, and I stopped going in there and drooling when I checked the prices too
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:48 PM   #7

Lizbeth:

Yes I have the 21RB (rear bed) which has a fulltime bed. There is one corner cut off to allow decent access to the bathroom, so a taller person (me) has to sleep with their feet hanging over. Bigfoot also makes the 21 in a FB (frontbed) and of course the 25 foot 25RBQ (rear queenbed - walkaround!)

I can also atest to the headroom. My little brother is at least 6'4" and he was amazed that he didn't bang into anything above.

I merely mentioned the Airstream cause I happened to be looking in the local buy&sell and noticed the bed is quite a bit smaller.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:45 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Oh, and I stopped going in there and drooling when I checked the prices too
Gina....So it was your slobber we saw all over, I feel better now. It was an unplanned trip, Eric had the urge to order the axle after a "discussion" about it over the weekend. Never deny a man's urges. As we were getting back on the freeway I told him you were somewhere close by.

Rick, I'm really hung up on the Bigfoots. The first fiberglass trailer I found for sale here in So Cal was a 17.5 for $4500.00. We didn't have the cash at the time to buy it. I should have borrowed the money. *sigh*
Old 03-23-2006, 10:19 AM   #9

Trailer: 2005 Escape B
I have drooled over the Bigfoot 17.5 for some time, however when my wife and I looked closely at the bed we found it to be short (compared to both our 2003 Trillium Outback and the Escape). Strange, because everything else is beautifully done.
Andy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:12 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I'm curious whether the short-bed Bigfoot is the current 2500-series design (25B17.5) or older 1500-series (presumably 15B17.5, still found new on some dealer's lots). Also, is it the CB or G version (25B17.5CB or 25B17.5G) - they both have a dinette with a big storage compartment at one end limiting length, but the G has a lengthwise sofa while the CB has an across-the-rear sofa. In all of the across-the-trailer beds, the bed doesn't go the full trailer width (like the Trillium-type designs), but these Bigfoot units are much wider than the classic 6.5'-wide egg, so that should be okay.

BigfootRV trailers home
Floorplans page
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:44 PM   #11

Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
Quote:
I'm curious whether the short-bed Bigfoot is the current 2500-series design (25B17.5) or older 1500-series (presumably 15B17.5, still found new on some dealer's lots). Also, is it the CB or G version (25B17.5CB or 25B17.5G)
There seems to be some confusion surrounding the designation of the smaller Bigfoot trailers. The older 1500 series were listed as 17' (actual mfg. listed length 16'7") - hence the 15B17CB or 15B17G. To the best of my knowledge, there never was a 15B17.5CB or G . The new 2500 series are listed as 17'5" long and are indeed significantly longer than the older units and are advertised as 25B17.5CB or G
I believe CB means "Center Bath" while G denotes "Gaucho" an alternative layout that results in the bathroom located in the rear of these +/- 17' trailers.

The rear bunk in my 15B17CB measures aprox. 5'10" long while the front bunk(dinette) is over 6'6" in length. Neither bunk is particularly wide, a snug fit for two large adults, so my wife and I opt for space and comfort and use both.

Steve.
Steve C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:37 PM   #12

My initial post was only to clarify that the 21 footer's bed was not short (unless you are 6'6" and over, in which case you should be on the basketball court anyway). In response to Lizbeth saying she saw both 17's and 21's. I have no real world experience as to how long the bed is in a 17.

Thanks for writing up that clarification on the model numbers Steve. Bigfoot has always been decent (at least since the late 80's) about making sure that there is some meaning between them.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:12 PM   #13

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Quote:
"I merely mentioned the Airstream cause I happened to be looking in the local buy&sell and noticed the bed is quite a bit smaller."
We looked at the airstreams at the Sarasota Airstream rally and I also wasn't impressed with the layout inside nor the craftsmanship, the Bambi we looked at was about $37000.00 and it made me very satisfied with my 1999 Casita . The mattress was about 2" short on each end and the back corner radius' weren't the same radius as the trailer. A long time Airstreamer was there and he said not to buy one that was made after I think he said 1994 as that was when Airsteam sold out to Thor industries and since then the craftsmanship has suffered. He had owned a 98, sold it and bought an 89 and was much more satisfied
Old 03-24-2006, 05:50 PM   #14

Trailer: 2005 Escape B
Steve, you bring up an important point. When we looked at the (2005 models) 17.5, the beds we checked were indeed the "bunk" beds on the side and at the back (both models in other words). They were abit narrow and abit short. I never understood why. Now it seems that I didn't realize that the main bed may be the one up front, which could well be nice and big and probably is, as there are no items adjacent (like a bathroom) to limit space.

I assumed the main bed was at the side or rear as for my purposes, I would want the dinette to stay set up to use as sitting/eating area.

Andy
Andy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:12 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
There seems to be some confusion surrounding the designation of the smaller Bigfoot trailers...
Thanks, Steve, for clearing up the confusion I caused by guessing the 1500-series designation, and for explaining the "CB" designation (obvious I suppose, in hindsight).

Quote:
...The rear bunk in my 15B17CB measures aprox. 5'10" long while the front bunk(dinette) is over 6'6" in length...
Many manufacturer's published floorplans have warnings that they are not exact ("not to scale"), but Bigfoot's look (except for the perfect sharp corners of the body) quite plausible. In them, the side bunk (in the G) appears to be just as long as the dinette bed, and the rear bunk (in the C only a couple of inches shorter than the dinettte bed. The 2500 series could have the same size difference, despite the posted plans. It pays to be careful about making assumptions!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:51 PM   #16

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Bigfoots look nice, but you could stay in a nice resort hotel cheaper!
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:38 PM   #17

Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
Quote:
Steve, you bring up an important point. When we looked at the (2005 models) 17.5, the beds we checked were indeed the "bunk" beds on the side and at the back (both models in other words). They were abit narrow and abit short. I never understood why.
I also wondered why Bigfoot didn't revise the floorplan when they created the 2005 17.5. I was hoping the new longer 25B17.5CB would provide at least one large comfortable bed for two. The narrow bunks are the only major drawback of my 15B17CB, if the front bunk was at least 6" wider or the rear somehow made 8" longer and 6" wider this would be an ideal layout for us. I should point out, however, that we have similar sized friends with a nearly identical trailer to ours and they seem to manage just fine in the cozy front bunk.

I suppose if you happen to be less than 5'10" tall the new version would be OK for two, but I was disappointed when I checked out the 2005 17.5CB model as I am 6' tall. My initial inspection revealed that there was no significant change in the bunk lengths, but the short rear bunk was a somewhat wider on the new model. The front bunk (dinette) appeared to be roughly the same width but tapered near the door seemingly reducing the dinette to 3 person seating verses the 4 that I currently have. I did like the larger holding tanks, available double pane glass and heavier duty brakes / axle on the new model, but there was not enough overall improvement to tempt me to trade in my 17'.

In all other aspects the 17 or 17.5 Bigfoots are nearly ideal, packing an adequate bathroom, large fridge, good storage, and overall spacious feeling floorplan into a +/- 17 foot package.
I guess there will always be these tradeoffs in this size of trailer. To have it all you will have to go bigger - what do they call it ? Oh yeah - 2 footitis. Hmmmm, my previous FG trailer was 15', so perhaps this disease is for real!

Steve.
Steve C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:16 AM   #18

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Bigfoots look nice, but you could stay in a nice resort hotel cheaper!

After watching documentaries and knowing folks that work in the hotel biz, I will never sleep in a hotel bed! .......well I shouldn't say never, but.......not if I can avoid it!
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote