Bikes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #1

Name: emily
Trailer: 2010 SCAMP
Georgia
Smile Bikes

When I camped at Gulf Shores State Park several people were riding three wheel bikes. They were low to the ground, small handlebars on either side. Is anyone familiar with these bikes? I would love to get one before my trip to the Sebring Rally.

Thanks,
Emily
pageleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #2

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
Probably recumbant bikes.....
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #3

Name: Heather
Trailer: 1971 Play Pac
Pennsylvania
Registry
This is my recumbent bike!! I love it!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2874292767.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	54659
imbabyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:27 AM   #4

Name: JoJo
Trailer: Former CT 13 Owner
Connecticut
actually it's called a "tadpole" trike because of the wheel configuration (two up front and one in the back) Check out TERRA TRIKE out of Michigan I think. There are several makers. Some folks also go for the "delta" (one wheel up front and two in the back) style. Both styles have their pros/cons.

My son and I are building a tadpole trike currently. It has been a lot of work/fun/learning. It is called a WARRIOR and built from plans.

Good luck with your quest.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:08 AM   #5

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
There are several recumbent bike/trike manufacturers. I've also seen a few tadpole trikes that fold to conserve space (pack into the trunk of a car). I have yet to see a delta trike that folds, although I keep looking.

Sun (Sun Bicycles - Products) bicycles was a low end manufacturer, but recently bought a west coast company, Easy Racers, and now peddles (no pun) a higher quality recumbent line, two-wheel, tadpole, and delta.

Other brands for tadpoles are Greenspeed, Cat Trike, Terra Trike. Sun sells a few deltas along with Greenspeed and Hase. Hase is a German company that produces the "Mercedes" of delta trikes.

All recumbents are very comfortable to ride, without the wrist numbing and neck pain of an upright bike.

On the down side: hill climbing is more challenging for the casual rider. There's no standing on the pedals. They are all heavier than a high-end upright bike. Transporting (with the exception of some folding tadpoles) can be a problem. Getting into and out of the lounge chair on a tadpole may be more difficult for older riders. The seat is very low to the ground (a delta is easier). Visibility makes riding on roads a bit dicey, especially on a tadpole. I have a two-wheel recumbent and never ride without a colorful flag flapping high above the seat.

But with all of that, I love to ride the bike trails with my recumbent. Florida has many paved, off-road bike trails and on any one of them, you'll find about 1/4 of the riders on a recumbent. We're in Florida right now and I managed to pack my short wheel base, two wheel recumbent and Jane's delta trike, along with a bunch of other junk into our Sienna minivan for our winter escape.

Emily, we'll be a Sebring for the Scamp Camp, if you'd like to try either of our recumbents. If you're looking for a used one, check Craigs List. There's always used ones around Florida.

Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:01 AM   #6

Name: Heather
Trailer: 1971 Play Pac
Pennsylvania
Registry
Emily,
Mine shown above in a KMX- Cobra! the cobra is gear more for off road riding which is what we like to do here in PA! Heres is link...KMX Trikes USA. We found the closest dealer which happened to be in NY and made the trek to get s hands on before buying. Ended up being cheaper to buy from the dealer then ordering online as it was end of the year and he had that years model marked down signficantly! Hope you find what you are looking for. I love mine!!
imbabyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I don't know their inventory but this bike shop is just two miles from the Campgrounds...

BIKE SHOP - Sebring Florida
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #8

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
If you are in the area, Catrike is at

720 Business Park Blvd
Suite 22
Winter Garden
FL 34787 USA

I have the Villager, it is a nice trike in that it is higher seating which makes it easier to get in and out of.

Alice

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #9

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
We looked at the recumbants but ended up getting something called an elliptigo....
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron F View Post
There are several recumbent bike/trike manufacturers. I've also seen a few tadpole trikes that fold to conserve space (pack into the trunk of a car). I have yet to see a delta trike that folds, although I keep looking.

Sun (Sun Bicycles - Products) bicycles was a low end manufacturer, but recently bought a west coast company, Easy Racers, and now peddles (no pun) a higher quality recumbent line, two-wheel, tadpole, and delta.

Other brands for tadpoles are Greenspeed, Cat Trike, Terra Trike. Sun sells a few deltas along with Greenspeed and Hase. Hase is a German company that produces the "Mercedes" of delta trikes.

All recumbents are very comfortable to ride, without the wrist numbing and neck pain of an upright bike.

On the down side: hill climbing is more challenging for the casual rider. There's no standing on the pedals. They are all heavier than a high-end upright bike. Transporting (with the exception of some folding tadpoles) can be a problem. Getting into and out of the lounge chair on a tadpole may be more difficult for older riders. The seat is very low to the ground (a delta is easier). Visibility makes riding on roads a bit dicey, especially on a tadpole. I have a two-wheel recumbent and never ride without a colorful flag flapping high above the seat.

But with all of that, I love to ride the bike trails with my recumbent. Florida has many paved, off-road bike trails and on any one of them, you'll find about 1/4 of the riders on a recumbent. We're in Florida right now and I managed to pack my short wheel base, two wheel recumbent and Jane's delta trike, along with a bunch of other junk into our Sienna minivan for our winter escape.

Emily, we'll be a Sebring for the Scamp Camp, if you'd like to try either of our recumbents. If you're looking for a used one, check Craigs List. There's always used ones around Florida.

Ron
What's this about wrist numbing and neck pain? I don't get either of those with my comfort bike, a Trek Pure. Or does that just mean I'm not on it long enough to experience problems? I rarely ride more than 5-6 miles at a spell.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:59 AM   #11

Registry
Mike, Yes, five of six miles probably isn't long enough to cause those symptoms. However, I'm sure anybody that's spent a three or four of hours of "bent-over posture" in the saddle of an upright bike will relate.

I should also have mentioned another option for recumbents: RANS is another manufacturer and they have recently been producing what they call a "crank forward" line. Check out their " Fusion ." It's design is more like an upright, but with a kinder posture for the rider and a really comfortable seat.

Ron
Old 01-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #12

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Quote:
"Getting into and out of the lounge chair on a tadpole may be more difficult for older riders"
Terra Trike also makes a tadpole recumbent that is higher and eraser to get in and out of for older riders. Here's there link. TerraTrike
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:01 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
My Trek Pure is crank-forward, and I sit very much upright on it. So I'm not sure I would get wrist or neck problems anyhow.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:20 AM   #14

Registry
Mike, Crank-forward does eliminate the agony caused by most "body-bent-over" upright bikes. I've ridden a friend's fusion and it is very comfortable. It also climbs hills a bit easier than the "lounge chair on wheels" full recumbent design. I often joke when asked about my recumbent that, the difficult thing when riding my recumbent is trying to stay awake.
Ron