Bitten by the Boler bug again - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-08-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
Member
 
Trailer: 1977 Boler
Posts: 62
So, I decided to sell my 72 Boler last week as I thought we were not going to use it this summer. It went to Vancouver island last Monday afternoon. Bored one night I was surfing the net at 2:30 in the morning looking at vintage trailers, a link brought me to eBay and a 70 Boler for sale in southern Oregon. One thing led to another and 7 hours of driving we met the seller and a 77 Boler at a truck stop. 7 hours more driving and now I have another Boler in my driveway. A little rough around the edges, dirty inside with some terrible extra lighting modifications, missing covers for cushions but otherwise pretty good original condition. Two tone white/yellow original gel coat in very good faded condition Voyageur model. It has a 3 way fridge which so far works on propane and checking 110 tonight. Stove lit but cover is rusty. I tried to light the furnace and no joy but can hear the gas, suggestions?? Water tank has rotted out and will need replacement. I thought I had read posts on here last year for replacements? Door is in poor shape having had several repairs so will need some attention. All the windows are good and working along with screens. Needs a roof vent cover as it is missing and not sure what will fit...help?? Frame looks to be good and not sure if I will do a frame off to blast and paint this time. It has the snaps for the add a room and a awning which the owner claims is original but no poles... help? Overall very happy with this one as it is all original with minor reconditioning required compared to my last one. Planning on dragging out to the meet in Mission next month.
__________________

__________________
RogerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:34 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Roy in TO's Avatar
 
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Posts: 4,954
Withdrawal symptoms will get you to go back every time.
__________________

__________________
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Posts: 692
On the furnace two suggestions.
either check the gas pressure or get someone to check it for you.
take the gas line apart at the pilot and very gently take a small flat blade screwdriver and put it in the orifice and turn it. When you pull it out you may have a spider web.

Bill K
__________________
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,432
Quote:
On the furnace two suggestions.
either check the gas pressure or get someone to check it for you.
take the gas line apart at the pilot and very gently take a small flat blade screwdriver and put it in the orifice and turn it. When you pull it out you may have a spider web.

Bill K
Or use a pipe cleaner. One of the fuzzy kind used for tobacco pipes.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Penney H. & Mike E.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Posts: 388
Registry
Have you had any luck getting the furnace going?

Is it spark ignition or pilot ignition?

Cleaning the lines is definitely the first step.

If it's spark ignition the noise you are hearing may be the spark trying to light. Don't know how far you've dug into this.

What brand and model is it?

If you're still having problems I'd be happy to talk with you, as a propane technician I've worked on lots and can make suggestions if I know what you've tried and can ask you some questions.

I'll send you a PM with my phone number, we're close, in WA, but not close enough to come check it over!

Mike

__________________
"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." -- Lao Tzu

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
Member
 
Trailer: 1977 Boler
Posts: 62
Quote:
Have you had any luck getting the furnace going?

Is it spark ignition or pilot ignition?

Cleaning the lines is definitely the first step.

If it's spark ignition the noise you are hearing may be the spark trying to light. Don't know how far you've dug into this.

What brand and model is it?

If you're still having problems I'd be happy to talk with you, as a propane technician I've worked on lots and can make suggestions if I know what you've tried and can ask you some questions.

I'll send you a PM with my phone number, we're close, in WA, but not close enough to come check it over!

Mike
Thanks Mike for your suggestions and assistance. I have not had much of a chance to troubleshoot it yet. According to the data sheet on the closet door, it is a Suburban GT6-3A. What I hear is gas and I suspect it is a match lit unit.
Thanks, Roger
__________________
RogerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Penney H. & Mike E.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Posts: 388
Registry
Here are some suggestions:

If it's been sitting a long time and has air in the line (which is likely) it can take a long time to clear out. If you can hear gas it is probably a clear line but full of air - a quick way to bleed it out is to disconnect pilot tube from pilot burner and bleed air through that. When you start to smell gas, stop and hook it back up.

If you smelled gas the pilot should light, if it doesn't than you need to clean the orifice.

When the pilot flame lights make sure you have a nice blue flame that is hitting the top 3/8s of an inch of the thermocouple. Within 30-60 seconds the pilot flame should hold once you let up on the pilot knob.

If pilot flame doesn't hold look at the thermocouple to see if it it blistered, bent, etc. If so it can be replaced.

If you end up replacing the thermocouple, when you screw it into control value hand tighten, when you have tightened as tight as you can with fingers, tighten a 1/4 turn more with wrench and no more. If it is tightened too tight the fiber insulating washer at base of thermocouple will be crushed and you will short out the thermocouple.

There is a manual posted for this furnance on a Boler site, you may know about this.
Travel Home Heater - Suburban GT-6

Good luck - hope it's simple and let me know how it goes.

Mike
__________________
"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." -- Lao Tzu

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #8
Member
 
Trailer: 1977 Boler
Posts: 62
Quote:
Here are some suggestions:

If it's been sitting a long time and has air in the line (which is likely) it can take a long time to clear out. If you can hear gas it is probably a clear line but full of air - a quick way to bleed it out is to disconnect pilot tube from pilot burner and bleed air through that. When you start to smell gas, stop and hook it back up.

If you smelled gas the pilot should light, if it doesn't than you need to clean the orifice.

When the pilot flame lights make sure you have a nice blue flame that is hitting the top 3/8s of an inch of the thermocouple. Within 30-60 seconds the pilot flame should hold once you let up on the pilot knob.

If pilot flame doesn't hold look at the thermocouple to see if it it blistered, bent, etc. If so it can be replaced.

If you end up replacing the thermocouple, when you screw it into control value hand tighten, when you have tightened as tight as you can with fingers, tighten a 1/4 turn more with wrench and no more. If it is tightened too tight the fiber insulating washer at base of thermocouple will be crushed and you will short out the thermocouple.

There is a manual posted for this furnance on a Boler site, you may know about this.
Travel Home Heater - Suburban GT-6

Good luck - hope it's simple and let me know how it goes.

Mike
Thanks again mike for all the info and hope to get out tomorrow or Monday to give it another try. I have the original manual for the furnace and did take a quick glance at it before I tried. It did take some time to light both the cooktop and fridge so suspect it should light.
__________________

__________________
RogerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
boler


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bitten Scott B. General Chat 5 07-15-2010 06:22 AM
MY 2008 BOLER BLOG, Camping trips using THE TANK: 74 Boler 1300...Pics Jayson Wall Camping, Campout Reports 1 01-18-2009 11:49 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.