Black Hills area - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Black Hills area

Was anyone camping in the SD Black Hills or West into Wyoming & had to endure that early winter storm? 30 to 50+ inches of snow.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:16 AM   #2

Name: Marky
Texas
I'm located in south Texas and the temperatures have been in the 90s. Ouch!
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We stayed put in the Black Hills one October due to Dakota fall snow, spending about a week sequestered as the only campers in a small park. Temperatures dropped to the teens but we were comfy in our little trailer.

In the daytime we just drove about enjoying the scenery.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #4

Name: George
Trailer: 16' Scamp SD, TV: Tacoma 4cyl
Northern Wisconsin
We pulled out with the storm right on our tail. Fastest that little Scamp ever went
George Nagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #5

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We were in SD in August of 2011. We experienced the BIGGEST AND LOUDEST thunderstorm ever! We had walked in clear weather to the campfire talk scheduled to be given by the park ranger when the heavens let loose with lightning, thunder and rain! We were terrified that we would not get to our trailer safely, but we did and felt safe and cozy there. Needless to say the ranger talk was cancelled! I hope you were safe and cozy through your storm.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #6

Florida
We were in a lightening /hail storm near Bismark with our motor home,. On the windward side rain was driven thru the closed windows. Ginny had to stuff towels at each window. It was a beautiful sight.

Ginny sent me out to collect hailstones, relatively rare in NH.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #7

Registry
N&G,
I bet that hail hitting the camper was a bit loud too. I pity anyone camping in that snowstorm. I bet they were stuck for a few days. Deadwood got over 40"! SW ND was the only area up here that got any of the snow. Quickly melting too.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:00 AM   #8

Florida
Hi Gene.
'loud weather' is interesting. When you can hear and feel the weather you somehow feel connected to it rather than isolated from it.

We are isolated so much in our lives, from our food, our government, even our neighbors. One of the nice parts of a small trailer is you are close to all systems.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-15-2013, 05:56 AM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Our volunteer trip to Pine Ridge last year was punctuated by thunderstorms and tornados virtually every night. You could see them form over the hill (foothills of the Badlands). We stay in our camper while working for Re-Member, a non-profit that helps the Lakota. One night, since we had guest speakers every night and we had our cat with us in the camper, we had to run and get her because of the tornados, so she sat quietly in her carrier while the guest speaker spoke. No one knew we had a cat until we 'fessed up to our Rez cat (Animals on the reservation are Rez dogs and cats.).

Scary storms that destroy what little the Lakota have.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We stayed put in the Black Hills one October due to Dakota fall snow, spending about a week sequestered as the only campers in a small park. Temperatures dropped to the teens but we were comfy in our little trailer.

In the daytime we just drove about enjoying the scenery.
Norm ;Was grid power still available or were you using your solar? . We got snowbound last spring for a couple of days and luckily power was still on but if the power was off that would have been a problem. I don't believe our battery would have run the furnace for 2 days when it's that cold!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #11

Florida
Steve,
We had our 1982 Sunline 15.5 and had 120 watt home made solar panels. We were pond an Indian reservation down a dirt road in a Passport Park, the only one there.

We did have electricity but would have been fine without it.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The only thing that worries me about being in a campground when it snows... is the LEAVING. How far I may have to pull a trailer and in what kinds of conditions to get someplace else safely.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #13

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
We live in the Black Hills and had to endure that blizzard from our house. We live at the end of 5 miles of dirt road on top of a high hill. We were snowed in for three days until a guy with a skid steer and bucket could get up to our house and dig out the four foot drifts. The grader couldn't climb the hill to get to us. In the meantime, we had a five-day power outage because of miles of downed power lines in the area. I was using my little Honda 2000 generator to keep my freezer from thawing out, and charge cell phones, etc. Following the blizzard was several days of warm sunshine which melted most of the snow. Then last night we got another six inches that covered everything up again. Normal temps around here this time of year should be in the sixties, so we are really not ready for winter.

I have been wanting to take my Bigfoot to town to get the damage repaired from last summer's huge hailstorm. Still waiting for dry roads to get this done. The weather can sure be a challenge around here.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote