Blackout - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-18-2003, 06:29 PM   #29
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Our son got married this past Saturday (8-16). One of his groomsmen lives in New York City ... and had packed a suitcase, taken it to work on Thurday, planning on leaving for the airport directly from work.

Well, just as he was getting ready to leave, the power went out ... and he couldn't get to the airport, where planes weren't flying anyway, so he had to walk back to his apartment, pulling his suitcase, about 60 blocks form where he works (not to mention, he had to climb down 36 floors in the dark)

To make a long story short, he eventually was able to connect a bunch of flights together and make it to the wedding, two hours before it began.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 06:32 PM   #30

Thats determination.Good for him.:wave

Old 08-18-2003, 08:30 PM   #31
Brantford - the city next door threw a party on Fri. in the park and over 3000 came. Local entertainers from a stilt-walker to guys making balloon animals, to elvis impersonators,to folks leading the kids in old-fashioned picnic games all provoded their services. The kids ran through the wading pools.The local meat-packers sent their products, the Culligan man sent truckloads of bottled water. The city picked up the bar-b-que costs.
The hydro was back on in Brantford by then, but the mayor was asking no a/c, not laundry, no d/w, no watering, no lights, no grass-cutting(for air quality). Think of all the things he said you didn't have to do that day! So lots thought "why not go guilt -free to a picnic?":ola
The people responded to the cut-backs so well that the expected black-outs on Sat. never happened there.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:43 AM   #32
Campin' In The Back Yard

The power went out about halfway home from work. The radio station went to static and as I fussed about with the radio it slowly dawned on me that all the stop lights were out too. Much wider area than normal. Wasn't until I arrived home and turned on the battery powered short wave radio that I discovered how wide the outage was.

What hoot! Everyone standing at the end of their driveway talking.

I turned on the gas at the trailer and lit the reefer pilot. I didn't move anything to it until the next morning as the mostly empty freezer had thawed what was in there.

Slept in the trailer the rest of the weekend as the trailer, while hotter than the house during the day, cooled off faster at night. Treated myself to a big breakfast Friday morning. Too many steaks for my diet, but, oh well. Enough water on board (about half a tank) to keep me in morning coffee. Offered my stove to the neighbor but he was doing well cooking on his gas grill.

Dragged the telescope out of the garage expecting really dark skies but there was a full moon and it almost seemed like daylight.

Power back on Friday night, but was having fun sleeping in the trailer so decided why change a good thing?