Blackout - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2003, 09:09 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We lost power for about 3 hours, and odd, our phones were out for the same amount of time. Even cell service was sporadic sue to overuse. My best friends are in NYC... they called to tell me they were enjoying thier room on the 30th floor... they could see everything in NYC... just couldn't get to it...

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 10:40 PM   #22

Southern Ont. 1 hour west of Toronto and 3 east of Detroit

We were out from 4:15 pm Thurs to 11:00 Am Fri.I went to the grocery store 10 min. later ."Sorry you can't come in." I thought they'd let you in if you had cash.
I had 2 bucks on me - got bread at the bake shop. No trouble finding a parking spot downtown.
A good week-end to go camping. But not for us, the kids were already borrowing the oxygen. Thurs. evening we drove 25 miles to a town with hydro therefore gas(only vehicle wiith trailer hook-up on bottom 1/4), banks, ATM's, grocery stores and liquor and beer stores. You know -camping supplies as seen by 20 year olds. Well. ok so most of the rest of us too.
Going to check on my 91 year old mother on Fri I was able to find a town west of us with gas. It felt like something from "On the Beach".She was out for 1 hour Thurs. and 6 hours Fri-so far.
Moral- keep all the vehicles full, and keep some cash on hand- and resist temptation to use it.
We'll keep a fan on tonight, but no A/ C
Jean
Glad not to be on the 18th floor with no water or hydro.

Old 08-16-2003, 05:05 AM   #23

The worst of people

As usual this recent power failure has brought out the worst in people. Some gas stations had increased the price to $1.10 within hours of the power going off. One store was selling cases of bottled water for $40.00. I certainly hope the public remember these businesses and boycott them in the future.

At the grocery stores people where coming out with cart loads of bottled water. It should have been one per customer.

My husband works at Canadian Tire and he said some people were buying cart loads of batteries and and instead of taking one lantern or flashlight or propane canister were taking all that was on the shelf. Greedy!

One woman actually had the nerve to rant and complain to management that the store wasn't prepared for this as they were running out of the "essentials". DUH as if the store knew it was coming or that some people would buy everything on the shelf. Obviously she wasn't prepared either!

I guess it takes all kinds. Personally I feel the elderly should have had first grabs at lighting and bottled water. Also people in apartments or people with very young babies.

They were asking that non essential stores and malls remain closed with lighting and air-conditioning off. Did any? NOPE, all the big malls and stores were open with air on full. Tell me what anyone needs to clothing shop or electronic shop for during a power outage. Meanwhile they tell homeowners to not use AC or dryers but we watch everything else needlessly gobbling up the power!!!!!

I think the ice storm taught the powers to be nothing. Despite all the planning they did after the ice storm the city was no more prepared for this than they were 5 years ago.

We bought one bag of milk, our AC is off, computer on at times. We are surviving just fine.

Sorry everyone, I just had to rant.
Nancy

Old 08-16-2003, 08:05 AM   #24

Quote:
Orginally posted by Deb Miller

Of course we are familiar with Sudbury. How close are to to Sudbury? Bill would really like to get clearance to go there. I bet it is cool. Actually that deep, probably warm.
Yes it is quite warm I worked at that level for a week doing ventilation doors when I was contracting.

here's a link to the SNO site

I think tours can be arranged.

I am about 15 minutes from the SNO site , and am about 1/2 hour West of Sudbury

To follow another subthread, My wife was at work, and told her boss(When she compained about no Hydro) it was too bad she wasn't at home, she could have gone to the trailer and made coffee and a hot meal. I guess we're always prepared if we have a fiberglass wonder at hand.

Old 08-16-2003, 08:27 AM   #25

Quote:
Orginally posted by Nancy D

My husband works at Canadian Tire and he said some people were buying cart loads of batteries and and instead of taking one lantern or flashlight or propane canister were taking all that was on the shelf. Greedy!
Sorry everyone, I just had to rant.
Nancy
You just go right ahead. I'd rant too. I remember when I lived close to DC. a forcast would say snow, and all the bread and milk would be gone in the stores. it's not like it would keep you that stuck at home. how many gal of milk can you drink in a couple of days? People are strange sometimes. :wak

Old 08-16-2003, 09:48 AM   #26

priorities

We are NE of Cleveland and only lost power for a couple hours , but all around us it was out most of the night . Yesterday they were on all stations with boil water warnings and conserve energy- no air , turn off all unnecessary power! I am watching the tube sitting in the heat with everything turned off I can think off when I turn from the news to see the Browns Stadium all lit for the preseason game what a screwed up world we live in!

Old 08-16-2003, 04:25 PM   #27

You got that right--Thats why we like our little units--Energy consevation--All goverments could learn from us folks.

Old 08-18-2003, 04:35 PM   #28

Greed

It never ceases to amaze me the lengths that people will stoop. Think of it this way, when the S--- REALLY hits the fan, we will be the ones that survive. The others wont have a clue. Has anyone read "THE STAND" by Steven King? I have a feeling it will be similar to that. With more violence and rioting. People always show their "true" nature in a crisis. Some take- alot- some give. I know I can go out with a clear conscience.

Old 08-18-2003, 06:29 PM   #29

Our son got married this past Saturday (8-16). One of his groomsmen lives in New York City ... and had packed a suitcase, taken it to work on Thurday, planning on leaving for the airport directly from work.

Well, just as he was getting ready to leave, the power went out ... and he couldn't get to the airport, where planes weren't flying anyway, so he had to walk back to his apartment, pulling his suitcase, about 60 blocks form where he works (not to mention, he had to climb down 36 floors in the dark)

To make a long story short, he eventually was able to connect a bunch of flights together and make it to the wedding, two hours before it began.

Old 08-18-2003, 06:32 PM   #30

Charles

Thats determination.Good for him.:wave

Old 08-18-2003, 08:30 PM   #31

AND THE BEST OF PEOPLE
Brantford - the city next door threw a party on Fri. in the park and over 3000 came. Local entertainers from a stilt-walker to guys making balloon animals, to elvis impersonators,to folks leading the kids in old-fashioned picnic games all provoded their services. The kids ran through the wading pools.The local meat-packers sent their products, the Culligan man sent truckloads of bottled water. The city picked up the bar-b-que costs.
The hydro was back on in Brantford by then, but the mayor was asking no a/c, not laundry, no d/w, no watering, no lights, no grass-cutting(for air quality). Think of all the things he said you didn't have to do that day! So lots thought "why not go guilt -free to a picnic?":ola
AND NOBODY COMPLAINED OF THE HEAT
The people responded to the cut-backs so well that the expected black-outs on Sat. never happened there.
Jean

Old 08-19-2003, 05:43 AM   #32

Campin' In The Back Yard

The power went out about halfway home from work. The radio station went to static and as I fussed about with the radio it slowly dawned on me that all the stop lights were out too. Much wider area than normal. Wasn't until I arrived home and turned on the battery powered short wave radio that I discovered how wide the outage was.

What hoot! Everyone standing at the end of their driveway talking.

I turned on the gas at the trailer and lit the reefer pilot. I didn't move anything to it until the next morning as the mostly empty freezer had thawed what was in there.

Slept in the trailer the rest of the weekend as the trailer, while hotter than the house during the day, cooled off faster at night. Treated myself to a big breakfast Friday morning. Too many steaks for my diet, but, oh well. Enough water on board (about half a tank) to keep me in morning coffee. Offered my stove to the neighbor but he was doing well cooking on his gas grill.

Dragged the telescope out of the garage expecting really dark skies but there was a full moon and it almost seemed like daylight.

Power back on Friday night, but was having fun sleeping in the trailer so decided why change a good thing?