Blame it on the Canadians - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #15

Name: Barrie
Trailer: 13 ft Trillium (sold 1/1/12)
New Brunswick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I guess that's part of reason rates are so high, "reasonable" and $25+ in the same sentence.
Down here in the States many of us consider the old rates of $1 to $2 reasonable. Then along comes hookups and the rates soared. Now it's under $10 is reasonable above is just too high, at least as far as I'm concerned. If those rates quoted are true across most of Canada, if I come up there the visit will be short.
I like free best... but the Provincial Parks are typically located in premium locations; sandy beaches, ocean or lake front and facilities. If you just want to park for the night there's the usual Walmart or truck stop. If you want a vacation resort setting... yes, it will cost you a few dollars.
Barrie

Old 06-28-2011, 03:53 PM   #16

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
I like free best... but the Provincial Parks are typically located in premium locations; sandy beaches, ocean or lake front and facilities. If you just want to park for the night there's the usual Walmart or truck stop. If you want a vacation resort setting... yes, it will cost you a few dollars.
Barrie
I can see that. If your preference is "resort" then you're going to pay more. I'm not much for resorts of any kind. I enjoy being in the great outdoors where you can watch the wildlife, hike in the trees, etc. I stop at Rest Areas, Wal-Mart parking lots, Truck Stops when I need to sleep and I'm between places I want to spend some time. The places I want to spend time are generally in National Forests, sometime is places referred to as "dispersed" campsites. No facilities at all. Dispersed campsites are free also, often along side a stream where the fishing is great, or bit of gold panning.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #17
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Things are quite different between the west where there is lots of federal land and few people and here in the northeast with very few federal opportunities and a high population density. Twenty five dollars a night for a state park campground site with no hook ups is pretty typical. And I promise you, you don't want to spend a night at a rest area on the New York thruway or the New Jersey Turnpike.

A few years back the legislature in New Hampshire had the great idea to charge a rooms and meals tax on all camp sites in the state, both public and private. Nine percent as I recall. The public outcry resulted in a quick repeal. A rooms tax on a tent, my tent, you 've got to be kidding. Last year here in Vermont they added a $2 out of state fee with very little reaction. In fact that amounted to a 10% increase. The New York fee is closer to a 20% increase. Obviously, since we paid the fee for three nights it's not just "the Canadians " who will pay it. It was just such an out of left field comment that I had to share it.

Now I do wish you Canadians would stop sending us your weather. You know that "frigid air coming down from Canada" the weather man talks about.....
Old 06-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #18

Name: Andy
Trailer: 1979 Ventura 13'
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
He he, Canada sends us their trash (to Michigan landfill) and their excess water (North Dakota currently getting flooded), so it seems only right that they should send us some Canadian tourists to spend money here and help make up for it.
Ha ha...you yanks have been trying to get access to our fresh water for decades and when we send you some all we get is complaints. LOL!
I guess if you use a KOA you're a poser! they are pricey $39 serviced site. What I find frustrating is trying to find smaller private camp grounds online so I can properly plan our cross country tour in August. The camp ground must have shower facilities and that's all really. Reasonablis a matter of what you want I think $25 for serviced sites is reasonable but don't expect me to pay much more than $10 for no services.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Lowering Campground Cost and Finding Campgrounds

Andy,

We are also making a 9-10 month loop of the USA and parts of Canada beginning fall.

We do five things to reduce our cost. First we belong to Passport America for 1/2 price camping, second we belong to Escapees that provide a book of parks that provide a 15-50% discount to Escapees, third we stay at Escapee owned and Escapee Coop parks when ever possible (Dry camping prices are $5 and overnights are typically $14.) and fourth we belong to Days End that lists numerous free or nearly free places to camp. Fifth, we have a Golden Eagle Pass that provides half price camping on Federal properties.

We find campgrounds a number of ways. Escapees have a book of all their owned parks and affiliated discount parks. Passport also provides a book and also has a website showing parks by state and province.

We also carry Trailer Life that lists most campgrounds in North America. Sometimes I simply type in a town's name with campgrounds and google provides a map of all campgrounds local to that town. As well we regularly stop at State Visitors centers and they usually have a brochure that lists campgrounds.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #20

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
He he, Canada sends us their trash (to Michigan landfill) and their excess water (North Dakota currently getting flooded), so it seems only right that they should send us some Canadian tourists to spend money here and help make up for it.
Oh but you forget your actually buying the water! LOL We are also your larges supplier of your gas- what to send that back to?

As far as costs of camping at Provincial parks goes here in BC many are $30 per night - no electrical or water.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:34 PM   #21

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
The camp ground must have shower facilities and that's all really. Reasonablis a matter of what you want I think $25 for serviced sites is reasonable but don't expect me to pay much more than $10 for no services.[/QUOTE]

You had better stay up north! dont come done to the coast - Golden Ears for example and most others will run you $30 a night - no power no water.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:40 AM   #22

Name: Andy
Trailer: 1979 Ventura 13'
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
The camp ground must have shower facilities and that's all really. Reasonablis a matter of what you want I think $25 for serviced sites is reasonable but don't expect me to pay much more than $10 for no services.
You had better stay up north! dont come done to the coast - Golden Ears for example and most others will run you $30 a night - no power no water.[/QUOTE]

I also take into consideration the area I'm travelling in and time of year aswell. I look at hotel prices and compare camp sites are normally 25% or less than a typical Holiday Inn or Ho Jo.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:11 AM   #23

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Be very carefull with your remarks. This topic is starting to get political.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:35 PM   #24

Florida
Thankful

We have many things to be thankful over the last decade of virtual full time RVing. One I particularly treasure is the Canadians I've met.

One of the very first Canadians we met was in Codroy, Newfoundland. They were so gracious, bringing us a small Canadian flag so we could celebrate Canada Day with them.

We now have many long term Canadian friends, tied together by RVing and a similar heritage. Of course like all friends we have the ability to kid each other in the most gentle ways.

Safe travels to our American and Canadian friends, unfortunately few of us have much ability to sway our governments but tremendous ability to bond with each other.

Norm and Ginny
Old 06-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #25

Florida
Red Bay

I just realized that the picture of us was taken from the top of Tracey Hill overlooking Red Bay harbor in Labrador. This is one of the wonderful ordinary places on earth.

The island in the picture is Saddle Back; it was used by the Portugese for whaling beginning in the 1550's. The hike along the bay reveals whale bones from this period.

WE ARE GOING BACK.

Norm
Attached Thumbnails
Red Bay.jpg  
Old 06-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #26

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I just realized that the picture of us was taken from the top of Tracey Hill overlooking Red Bay harbor in Labrador. This is one of the wonderful ordinary places on earth.

The island in the picture is Saddle Back; it was used by the Portugese for whaling beginning in the 1550's. The hike along the bay reveals whale bones from this period.

WE ARE GOING BACK.

Norm
Did you drive and pull your trailer out there?
I was close to there is 1963-64 at Goose Bay. There were no roads into Happy Valley.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:24 PM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Hey Alf - If you are heading to the fingerlakes, go a bit further west and visit Letchworth State Park (and yes, they have "power bushes!)
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:25 AM   #28

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Hey Alf - If you are heading to the fingerlakes, go a bit further west and visit Letchworth State Park (and yes, they have "power bushes!)
Hi Jon Vermilye... Funny you should mention that...It's a stop over for one night on our way to Bolerama at Longbeach Conservation Area for the weekend... then home.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
checking out the neighbours.jpg   Gorgeious.jpg