Blame it on the Canadians - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Blame it on the Canadians

Last week we went over to the Adirondacks for a couple of days. The state camp grounds appear to be divided into two bureaucracies; the DEC administers those inside the Adirondacks and Catskills, and the rest by the New York State Office of Parks and Recreation. In either case you pay a $2.75 registration fee to pay for their use of Reserve Americas software, even if you didn't use the reservation system. New this year is an additional $5.00 a night out of state fee. Twenty eight to $30 for the first night. When I asked the fellow in charge of the campground if he had had any complaints or seen a decrease in use he said " no, it's a lot more expensive to camp in Canada so the Canadians don't mind paying more". Hard to argue with that kind of logic! Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: P. Raz...Well this Canadian minds paying more... $49. inc. (online rez. fee and tax) a nite here in Ontario. That's why we spend so much time in N.Y. Heading for the Finger Lakes in two weeks. Watkins Glen St. Pk. and as many wineries as we can taste in 4 days!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
Raz

" as many wineries as we can taste in 4 days!!!"

Don't forget the aspirin!
Old 06-27-2011, 06:30 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984
We found the campgrounds in Northern Ontario only half filled last summer and when we inquired as to the reason from some full timers they told us that the young families just can't afford to come any more. So sad that we can't afford to show our children our own world.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
The more people demand electricity, water and sewer connection in their "camp" site the higher the costs will be.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
The more people demand electricity, water and sewer connection in their "camp" site the higher the costs will be.
Thats the funny thing! On this side of Canada few if any camp sites have electricty or water yet we pay more. Here the extra money seems to be going to replacing the showers and washroom facilities in many of the parks in recent years - which is nice.

Suprised to read that the parks in Ontario where half empty last year - here that is not the case - full full full.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Thats the funny thing! On this side of Canada few if any camp sites have electricty or water yet we pay more. Here the extra money seems to be going to replacing the showers and washroom facilities in many of the parks in recent years - which is nice.

Suprised to read that the parks in Ontario where half empty last year - here that is not the case - full full full.
Some of the Forest Service campgrounds went from $14 to $16 per night. Those don't have any hook-ups. campgrounds with hookups run from $20 to $40 per night, some higher.

We recently went to southern CA and across to TX and LA, 97 days on the road, average cost per night $7.50. More money for souvenirs and gas.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Wow. I would like to know how you got by for $7.50 per. We stayed in Flags RV in Lodi Dec 31, paid $44 and discovered the next day (2011) the price was going up to $54!!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:45 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Wow. I would like to know how you got by for $7.50 per. We stayed in Flags RV in Lodi Dec 31, paid $44 and discovered the next day (2011) the price was going up to $54!!
It's really not that hard. First off the "Golden Age Passport", now called "Senior Pass" allows free access to all US Government recreation areas including National Parks. It also give you a 50% discount at all Federal campgrounds. Most of those places the prices are less than $20.00 per night, some as low as $5.00 per night. Average around $14 to $15. The most expensive place we stayed was near New Orleans at $18.00. To offset that we slept in rest areas, Wal-Mart parking lots, and Truck stops a few nights. Those are $0 per night were just sleeping stops on our way to some place. We mostly stayed in National Parks or places run by the National Park system and avoid anyplace with RV in the name.
No hook-ups, no swimming pools, no recreation rooms, etc.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:56 AM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Here in New Brunswick the Provincial Park rates are reasonable; $25 for unserviced and $28. semi serviced. The parks are great too. You're all welcome. Even the private campgrounds aren't very expensive.
New Brunswick Accommodations
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:15 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
Here in New Brunswick the Provincial Park rates are reasonable; $25 for unserviced and $28. semi serviced. The parks are great too. You're all welcome. Even the private campgrounds aren't very expensive.
Barrie
Hi: Barrie Bochoff... I can second your vote for the N.B. P. Pks. Two years ago we paid $21. a nite for a beautiful site at New River Beach Prov. Pk. on the Bay of Fundy near Saint John. We really have to go back and spend more time...but gotta retire first!!!
Attached Thumbnails
basic beige.jpg   New River Beach.jpg  

Old 06-28-2011, 05:33 AM   #12

Registry
Hi: Byron Kinnaman... You're post reminded me of that song by Roger Miller...King of the road!!! "No phone no pool no pets...Aint got no cigarettes". Sounds kinda easy goin'.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:23 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Barrie
I guess that's part of reason rates are so high, "reasonable" and $25+ in the same sentence.
Down here in the States many of us consider the old rates of $1 to $2 reasonable. Then along comes hookups and the rates soared. Now it's under $10 is reasonable above is just too high, at least as far as I'm concerned. If those rates quoted are true across most of Canada, if I come up there the visit will be short.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
He he, Canada sends us their trash (to Michigan landfill) and their excess water (North Dakota currently getting flooded), so it seems only right that they should send us some Canadian tourists to spend money here and help make up for it.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #15

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I guess that's part of reason rates are so high, "reasonable" and $25+ in the same sentence.
Down here in the States many of us consider the old rates of $1 to $2 reasonable. Then along comes hookups and the rates soared. Now it's under $10 is reasonable above is just too high, at least as far as I'm concerned. If those rates quoted are true across most of Canada, if I come up there the visit will be short.
I like free best... but the Provincial Parks are typically located in premium locations; sandy beaches, ocean or lake front and facilities. If you just want to park for the night there's the usual Walmart or truck stop. If you want a vacation resort setting... yes, it will cost you a few dollars.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
I like free best... but the Provincial Parks are typically located in premium locations; sandy beaches, ocean or lake front and facilities. If you just want to park for the night there's the usual Walmart or truck stop. If you want a vacation resort setting... yes, it will cost you a few dollars.
Barrie
I can see that. If your preference is "resort" then you're going to pay more. I'm not much for resorts of any kind. I enjoy being in the great outdoors where you can watch the wildlife, hike in the trees, etc. I stop at Rest Areas, Wal-Mart parking lots, Truck Stops when I need to sleep and I'm between places I want to spend some time. The places I want to spend time are generally in National Forests, sometime is places referred to as "dispersed" campsites. No facilities at all. Dispersed campsites are free also, often along side a stream where the fishing is great, or bit of gold panning.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #17
Raz

Things are quite different between the west where there is lots of federal land and few people and here in the northeast with very few federal opportunities and a high population density. Twenty five dollars a night for a state park campground site with no hook ups is pretty typical. And I promise you, you don't want to spend a night at a rest area on the New York thruway or the New Jersey Turnpike.

A few years back the legislature in New Hampshire had the great idea to charge a rooms and meals tax on all camp sites in the state, both public and private. Nine percent as I recall. The public outcry resulted in a quick repeal. A rooms tax on a tent, my tent, you 've got to be kidding. Last year here in Vermont they added a $2 out of state fee with very little reaction. In fact that amounted to a 10% increase. The New York fee is closer to a 20% increase. Obviously, since we paid the fee for three nights it's not just "the Canadians " who will pay it. It was just such an out of left field comment that I had to share it.

Now I do wish you Canadians would stop sending us your weather. You know that "frigid air coming down from Canada" the weather man talks about.....
Old 06-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #18

Name: Andy
Trailer: 1979 Ventura 13'
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
He he, Canada sends us their trash (to Michigan landfill) and their excess water (North Dakota currently getting flooded), so it seems only right that they should send us some Canadian tourists to spend money here and help make up for it.
Ha ha...you yanks have been trying to get access to our fresh water for decades and when we send you some all we get is complaints. LOL!
I guess if you use a KOA you're a poser! they are pricey $39 serviced site. What I find frustrating is trying to find smaller private camp grounds online so I can properly plan our cross country tour in August. The camp ground must have shower facilities and that's all really. Reasonablis a matter of what you want I think $25 for serviced sites is reasonable but don't expect me to pay much more than $10 for no services.
AndyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:32 PM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Lowering Campground Cost and Finding Campgrounds

Andy,

We are also making a 9-10 month loop of the USA and parts of Canada beginning fall.

We do five things to reduce our cost. First we belong to Passport America for 1/2 price camping, second we belong to Escapees that provide a book of parks that provide a 15-50% discount to Escapees, third we stay at Escapee owned and Escapee Coop parks when ever possible (Dry camping prices are $5 and overnights are typically $14.) and fourth we belong to Days End that lists numerous free or nearly free places to camp. Fifth, we have a Golden Eagle Pass that provides half price camping on Federal properties.

We find campgrounds a number of ways. Escapees have a book of all their owned parks and affiliated discount parks. Passport also provides a book and also has a website showing parks by state and province.

We also carry Trailer Life that lists most campgrounds in North America. Sometimes I simply type in a town's name with campgrounds and google provides a map of all campgrounds local to that town. As well we regularly stop at State Visitors centers and they usually have a brochure that lists campgrounds.
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #20

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Oh but you forget your actually buying the water! LOL We are also your larges supplier of your gas- what to send that back to?

As far as costs of camping at Provincial parks goes here in BC many are $30 per night - no electrical or water.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote