Blowin' in the Wind - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-09-2016, 09:41 AM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ)
Wyoming
Blowin' in the Wind

Just got back from a road trip from hell. Traveling east on I-90 there was a 40+ mph cross wind coming from the south for the first 400 miles. At the first stop, I discovered my ProTech protective awning cover had disappeared. The clips were on, but must have vibrated loose on the extremely rough pavement that was under construction for many miles. That was a hundred bucks gone. Hope the plastic tubes didn't hit any cars.

At my next stop, I found that 3 of 8 screws holding on the molded fiberglass propane tanks cover had worked loose, one missing. It had then vibrated enough to chip the fiberglass in several places. I got more screws and Loctite and proceeded.

On the return trip the following week, I encountered 40+mph wind along the same stretch of highway. This time it was coming from the north. A deputy sheriff passed me and started pointing to the back of my trailer. When I stopped to look, I found my sewer hose hanging out of the bumper about ten feet with the fitting worn off by pavement. The end cap on the bumper was, of course, missing.

On the same trip, I drove through a swarm of locusts that totally peppered my windshield and front of the trailer. And I blew a fuse on my Fantastic Fan for the first time ever. It was the only fuse in my trailer for which I did not have a spare.

Hope the next trip is a little less challenging.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:52 AM   #2

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David and Nancy View Post
Just got back from a road trip from hell. Traveling east on I-90 there was a 40+ mph cross wind coming from the south for the first 400 miles. At the first stop, I discovered my ProTech protective awning cover had disappeared. The clips were on, but must have vibrated loose on the extremely rough pavement that was under construction for many miles. That was a hundred bucks gone. Hope the plastic tubes didn't hit any cars.

At my next stop, I found that 3 of 8 screws holding on the molded fiberglass propane tanks cover had worked loose, one missing. It had then vibrated enough to chip the fiberglass in several places. I got more screws and Loctite and proceeded.

On the return trip the following week, I encountered 40+mph wind along the same stretch of highway. This time it was coming from the north. A deputy sheriff passed me and started pointing to the back of my trailer. When I stopped to look, I found my sewer hose hanging out of the bumper about ten feet with the fitting worn off by pavement. The end cap on the bumper was, of course, missing.

On the same trip, I drove through a swarm of locusts that totally peppered my windshield and front of the trailer. And I blew a fuse on my Fantastic Fan for the first time ever. It was the only fuse in my trailer for which I did not have a spare.

Hope the next trip is a little less challenging.
Hi: David and Nancy... The "Winds of change" must blow north and south in Wyoming!!! On our trip east via I90/I94 with our new 5.0TA we encountered them too. At times it was all I could do to maintain 55 mph., but at least we got home with all parts still attached.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie

Old 09-10-2016, 09:46 AM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: interested in HC1.
Colorado
Dave and Nancy I feel your pain - the wind in Wyoming can be brutal. But, if the stars align and you get the rare tailwind, the mpg's can be terrific. 25 mpg's last Wed. driving from Saratoga, Wy. to Fort Collins with my Tacoma and camper. Very nice.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:40 AM   #4

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Winds of Change in Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: David and Nancy... The "Winds of change" must blow north and south in Wyoming!!! On our trip east via I90/I94 with our new 5.0TA we encountered them too. At times it was all I could do to maintain 55 mph., but at least we got home with all parts still attached.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
: We to got hammered along that stretch of Highway many times towing our old Bigfoot, one time we pulled into a private yard and in the morning I went in to thank them for letting us put in for the night and they said another 5 miles and u would of been free of wind. Go Figure if you do not know the territory. Talk about leaning into the wind and going through a tank of gas quickly.
Funny when one talks of this wind there are others who have no idea just how bad it can blow along that stretch of Hwy.
Stude