Boating while camping. What do you do? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #15
Name: Mireille
Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
We could put our 12 feet kayaks IN the campervan...Now it's going to be kayaks on top of TV. But sometimes, if we are going to be kayaking just a few times (sometimes even only one time) during a trip, we rent.

Au plaisir !
Mireille L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #16
Name: Diane
Trailer: 13' 1984 Uhaul
We have two kayaks that travel in racks on top of the Jeep. Being able to go out on the water sure adds to the camping experience!

Diane R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #17
Name: Robert
Trailer: 1985 scamp 13ft
I put my 12ft. aluminum boat on top of my van, stow the outboard in the van. I have a power roof rack to load and unload boat. The boat has wheels so I can drive to the boat landing. works good.
Robert Detrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #18
Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
I haven't done it yet, but going to buy an inflatable kayak(no rack, fits in back of TV, doesn't take space in garage when not in use).
Dennis Clinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #19
Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Kayaks on the TV...unless DD goes then she pulls the kayak trailer with 6 boats
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #20
Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
We either carry our 17' canoe or 2 16' kayaks on the cab of the PU. We will usually take the canoe if we are going to be along a river (not whitewater) and the kayaks for lakes or salt water. I do NOT like rough water - the flatter, the better.

I have not really checked the mileage. There is probably some impact because of weight, but they are not as high as the trailer (17' Casita), so we are still pushing the same amount of air.
Dave Fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #21
Name: Stan
Trailer: Shopping
South Carolina
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2196836200.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	52335
Scubastan48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #22
Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
When we bought our Ventura we planned to put the canoe on the Element, as we had done for many years. However we rapidly discovered that the canoe (freighter size) was too long to allow the camper to make corners! We traded for a smaller canoe. Have since added one of those small kayaks from Canadian Tyre and they travel side by side quite nicely.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #23
Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
Hey, thanks everyone. I thought there would be a bunch of boaters out there. Really appreciate all the responses. Right now I'm thinking a tandem kayak on the roof of my TV (2011 Toyota Sienna). The other option is to go with a folding kayak from Folbot and keep it in the back of the Sienna.

Ron in BC, yes, I saw the sail kit from I am an avid sailor and this quality kit really has me stoked. As you say, camping on the water without being able to be out on the water is pure torture.

I look forward to more input. Maybe we should think about an "camp and boat" outing somewhere?? Bet we'd get a big turn out.
SailorSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #24
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Ron, as a long time kayaker I have to say those new sail kits look mighty fine indeed!!!

Something for folks to keep in mind when carrying items on the roofs of their tows is a number car manufactures racks are not rated to actually carry the load of two boats.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #25
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
If you would like to see one of the finest and most versatile small boats available, which is light, has a high capacity, and can be transported well while towing a small fiberglass trailer, then look here....

Portland Pudgy safety dinghy, inflatable boat, or fiberglass dinghy?
Attached Thumbnails
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #26
Name: John & BJ
Trailer: 2010 Scamp D19
Mesa AZ
Our Scamp 19 makes boats on the tow vehicle a challenge unless they're the short whitewater kayaks. The canoe goes on the trailer.

John & BJ
Mesa, AZ
"We're not lost. We're just finding our way."
John & BJ S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #27
Name: chris
Trailer: 1976 13' trillium
British Columbia
When I painted my trailer I had some extra paint so I decided to match my 30 year old canoe with my 36 year old trailer. We love using it but it sure can be a pain sometimes. My wife is only 5' tall so I am on my own with this baby on and off the vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
chris loewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:03 PM   #28
Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
I have an Emotion Glide kayak (a little over 9' long) that fits nicely inside my '02 Dodge Grand Caravan, either with the rear 2 club seats and bench seat removed, or with them folded down. If the seats are removed, then my bike fits in there as well.

Lil M.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” ― John Muir
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote