Boler from 1974?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Thumbs up

Hi all,

I am hoping for help. My Boler trailer was made by Neonex in Winnipeg. The DOT registration paper says 1974, and that is what we were told. However, lately I have been wondering if it really is a 1974, or maybe a 1975.

The CSA specification nameplate on the inside of the upper cupboards, in both English and French, says:

Manufacturer: “Boler Manufacturing Ltd.” 770 Dufferin Ave. Winnipeg Man.

Trade name: “Boler”

Model: “B130 B”

serial number: 34 0442

On the entrance door near the handle, stamped into the mold, is the word “Neonex”.

It had an Ingersoll RubberRide axle, which we changed out last year, that did not have a date stamped on it.

I cannot find any references to a date on the trailer, although there is what appears to be a metal nameplate on the front of the trailer above the propane regulator, which has been painted over by a previous owner so I can’t read it.

I would accept that it is a 1974, except for two things:

1. Recently I have seen a timeline that guesses that Neonex took over building Bolers in 1975 at http://www.bolerbearxpress.com/ . and

2. Looking at a supposed 1974 brochure, the trailer in the picture has reflectors built into the front of the trailer, and mine does not. The 1975 brochure does not have those reflectors on the front of the trailer.

However, the 1974 brochure seems to be using the same picture as a 1973 brochure, so I am not sure if it means anything.

Does anyone know how to tell whether it is a ‘74 or ‘75, or some other year?

Thanks,
Rick G in Edmonton.
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Hey Rick,
The Egg History thread might give you some insight:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=21173
Maybe there is something you can add to it ...
Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:17 AM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Rick,

I have a 1974 Boler made by Neonex in Winnipeg, and I'm sure it's a 1974. Let me check the serial number and you can compare it to yours. I'll post back shortly.

Raya

Edited to add: Mine has a serial number that is in the same format as yours, and less than 100 numbers after yours. Model B13 O B; Serial number 34 05xx. So, since mine is a 1974, I would say yours is very likely to be also; I think I have the younger sister to yours

I happened to buy mine in Winnipeg (although not in 1974). Do you still have the silver sticker on the driver's side, outside, that shows the date, etc.? I'm guessing not, but OTOH it is fairly hard to read, and maybe if you did not realize that is the ID sticker, you didn't look at it super closely.

PS: Although, I think mine has a sticker by the door that says something like "Made with Pride by Neonex" -- not molded in. I'll have to look at it in the daylight. Also, I have no front reflectors; I think they were an option on earlier years for sure; not sure if they still were in 1974.

PPS: Does yours also have the Burdick jalousie dinette windows?
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:56 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984
I was told by a '73 owner that that was how to distinguish that model year as it was the only time they added the reflectors.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:15 PM   #5

I looked at the "metal" (actually foil-like) placard on the driver's side of mine, and it has the date of 5/74. So I would guess yours was made in early '74. Mine was also made at the Dufferin Boler plant in Winnipeg. The placard also duplicates the serial number from the cupboard-door paper. It's rectangular - a bit longer and narrower than a deck of cards in size.

I forgot to look for the molded/Neonex info. But it was raining.

Raya
Old 06-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
I looked at the "metal" (actually foil-like) placard on the driver's side of mine, and it has the date of 5/74. So I would guess yours was made in early '74. Mine was also made at the Dufferin Boler plant in Winnipeg. The placard also duplicates the serial number from the cupboard-door paper. It's rectangular - a bit longer and narrower than a deck of cards in size.

I forgot to look for the molded/Neonex info. But it was raining.

Raya
Great, thanks for all the responses. I will take a look on the driver's side to see if I can find the sticker. I am encouraged by the other information too.

Thanks,
Rick G
Old 06-29-2010, 02:14 PM   #7

Registry
Ok, I found a sticker under the exterior electrical service inlet on the driver's side of the trailer. However, it is painted over and I can't make out anything of what it said.

There is also a similar painted-over sticker on the exterior front of the trailer above the propane regulator. I have a few days off coming up, so I hope to get some paint stripper and see if I can reveal anything underneath both of them.

Yes, Raya, I do have Berdick jalousie dinette windows, they both have the name sticker in a corner. One works perfectly but the driver's side one has a crank that slips and won't tighten all the way, although it will open up OK. I usually put a couple of small plastic clamps on the window frame while driving so they won't flop around. I guess that is on my list of someday fixes as well.

I also took a closer look at the "Neonex" logo on the outside of my entrance door above the handle. Because the door has been painted, I can't tell if it is molded into the door or is an embossed sticker. There appears to be a narrow horizontal rectangle in a top area above the rectangle that holds the word "Neonex". It is possible that there could be a slogan in that space, but I can't see it because of paint. If things go well on the other stickers, I may try to see what paint stripper can do with that as well.

Thanks,
Rick G.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:38 PM   #8

Hi Rick,

Sure sounds a lot like mine. Sisters! And yes, the sticker on the door is another "metal" sticker, a long rectangle that says, IIRC, "Made with Pride by Neonex." It's silver with black accents and is right above the door handle. I think the sticker by the propane regulator just talks about the propane system, so that will probably not be as exciting to see as the ID sticker (which repeats the serial number plus has a month/year date on it and I think some other info).

I think you could probably get a new operator for your window; another thing to check is the small "Philips hinges" that are on the sides - I've seen them break and the windows then not close. Mine are nice and tight when they are closed, so it is entirely possible. Vintage Trailer Supply has those and all the other seals, too, from what I can see.

Here is a photo of the Philips hinges, if you want to take a look at yours (the top peg can break off and then there is no way for them to suck the window closed, I don't think).

Click image for larger version

Name:	hehr_phillips_hinge.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	29184
Old 06-30-2010, 02:36 PM   #9

Registry
Cool

[quote]Hi Rick,

Sure sounds a lot like mine. Sisters! And yes, the sticker on the door is another "metal" sticker, a long rectangle that says, IIRC, "Made with Pride by Neonex." It's silver with black accents and is right above the door handle. I think the sticker by the propane regulator just talks about the propane system, so that will probably not be as exciting to see as the ID sticker (which repeats the serial number plus has a month/year date on it and I think some other info).

I think you could probably get a new operator for your window; another thing to check is the small "Philips hinges" that are on the sides - I've seen them break and the windows then not close. Mine are nice and tight when they are closed, so it is entirely possible. Vintage Trailer Supply has those and all the other seals, too, from what I can see.

Here is a photo of the Philips hinges, if you want to take a look at yours (the top peg can break off and then there is no way for them to suck the window closed, I don't think).

Attachment 29184

Thanks, I will take a look at the windows.

I used a chemical (supposedly eco) paint stripper on the manufacturer plate, which got rid of the paint and also whatever colour the original label had. However, I was able to read the embossing on almost the whole label. It appears to have a manufacturing date of 4/74, so I am glad that it settles the date question.

Attached is a picture of the sticker after the paint was stripped off it. There are a couple of spots where it has been scraped or sanded so that it cannot be read, but most of it I was able to read under high magnification and odd lighting.

Thanks for your help,
Rick G.
Attached Thumbnails
Boler_Manufacturer_plate.jpg  

Tags
boler