Boler to build again. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2017, 03:57 PM   #1

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Boler to build again.

CBC news link Cute Manitoba-made campers make a comeback - Manitoba - CBC News
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:10 PM   #2

Name: mensie
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post
Nice story.
mensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:12 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Boler to build again?

I'm confused about the thread title, though. I didn't see anything in the article about anyone building trailers under the Boler name again. It was about the current popularity of vintage Bolers. Did I miss something?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The title of this thread is misleading. The article has nothing to do with boler going back into production, they aren't. A "comeback" is a resurgence in popularity.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:54 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
The article is about the resurgence of the boler like trailer from its humble beginnings of Ray Orleco to the growing popularity of small fg trailers such as scamp and happier camper. The photos of the boler is our 72 boler ,a scamp and our HC1 lifted off of other sites and posted by CBC without our knowledge the boler is kinda like the grandfather of the HC1 almost 50 years between them.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:37 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita
Registry
I thought Bolers were first built at the same place the current Scamps are now then moved to Winnipeg?
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:02 PM   #7

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse View Post
I thought Bolers were first built at the same place the current Scamps are now then moved to Winnipeg?
I don't think it was quite like that, but this thread should give you some good reading. Just remember it's like Wikipedia... not everything is true, and it is user-edited.

Boler History
Old 08-28-2017, 05:14 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I don't think it was quite like that, but this thread should give you some good reading. Just remember it's like Wikipedia... not everything is true, and it is user-edited.

Boler History
Here's a paragraph right from the Scamp page about the Scamp story.

In July of 1971 Duane Eveland was involved in remodeling damaged mobile homes. A factory representative from Bolar American stopped by and watched. Eventually the Bolar salesman asked if he would like to manufacture trailers for Bolar. The Bolar trailer was designed in Canada and Bolar American was a company attempting to develop the US market. Duane was interested and together with his brother Gerald Eveland and sister Gladys Coffland negotiated a contract with Bolar in which Eveland’s Inc. would manufacture trailers and Bolar would market them. Bolar had their own problems and went out of business late in 1972. This left Eveland’s Inc. with molds but no marketing company. Duane, Gerald and Gladys discussed things, came up with the name Scamp, and began building and marketing their own trailer.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:32 PM   #9

Arizona
Registry
That's right, or at least close, but that wasn't the beginning of the Boler story.

As I understand it from the linked thread, Bolers had already been made in Canada since 1968- designed and manufactured by Ray Olecko in Winnepeg- when Eveland's was contracted through the Boler American partnership in 1971 to build Bolers in the US. Bolers were made in several plants in Canada, as well as Backus, in their heyday.

When the Boler American partnership folded after a short run, Eveland's retained the molds and used them to make their own trailer.

The Canadian Boler company continued to make Bolers in Canada until around 1980.

The spelling of "Boler" (or "boler" for purists) is one of several places where Scamp's website could use a good editor....

So let the edits roll...

Tags
boler