Bonair Oxygen: Thinking the unthinkable - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2019, 11:23 AM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Bonair Oxygen: Thinking the unthinkable

After spending 2 weeks on the road in the Oxygen the wife and I are "considering" something larger. The problem is we both love our little Oxygen. The attention it gets can be a little annoying but on the other hand there is a certain amount of pride of ownership for such a cool and unique trailer. What to do what to do?

I see all the Escapes and Bigfoots out there with their abundance of space and comfort (compared with the Oxygen) and I must admit I am getting a bit envious.

Just thoughts.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:44 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I am struggling with the same dilemma.

We have a beautiful Oliver 23 and have decided that it doesn't really match our needs. Nothing wrong with the Oliver at all. But I recently put a deposit on a Black Series HQ19 and the thought of giving up the Oliver haunts me.

Oh well, here we go on the next adventure and we are both excited about it.

Changing to something new doesn't mean the old thing is bad.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:57 PM   #3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
I am struggling with the same dilemma.

We have a beautiful Oliver 23 and have decided that it doesn't really match our needs. Nothing wrong with the Oliver at all. But I recently put a deposit on a Black Series HQ19 and the thought of giving up the Oliver haunts me.

Oh well, here we go on the next adventure and we are both excited about it.

Changing to something new doesn't mean the old thing is bad.
Wow that's quite a rig. Isn't it a bit of down sizing?
Old 06-14-2019, 01:13 PM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
After spending 2 weeks on the road in the Oxygen the wife and I are "considering" something larger. The problem is we both love our little Oxygen. The attention it gets can be a little annoying but on the other hand there is a certain amount of pride of ownership for such a cool and unique trailer. What to do what to do?

I see all the Escapes and Bigfoots out there with their abundance of space and comfort (compared with the Oxygen) and I must admit I am getting a bit envious.

Just thoughts.
That's a tough one since once it's gone another would be tough to find. But if it doesn't meet your needs you should find something that does. I started out with a 15' Chalet A frame. At first I loved it. But every time I stopped for a break it had to be set up and it always drew a crowd. A 5 minute pee break turned into a half our tour. And there were all those moving parts. The Trillium is the replacement. Nine years later, there is nothing I like better.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:37 PM   #5

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Wow that's quite a rig. Isn't it a bit of down sizing?
? Don't know about "downsizing". The HQ is larger and heavier than the Oliver. I don't know why they call it a "19".

I guess priorities change over time. The HQ is like a luxury apartment inside, while having a beautiful off-road, swing arm, independent suspension, with dual shocks per wheel. Then there's the outside kitchen, the washing machine (!), more water, etc, etc.......

This trailer invites longer stays in more remote locations, and makes full timing seem very viable. The large bath/shower and washing machine just crack me up. Camping? How about luxury living in the wild untamed desert.

Here's a link:
Old 06-14-2019, 02:13 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
That's a tough one since once it's gone another would be tough to find. But if it doesn't meet your needs you should find something that does. I started out with a 15' Chalet A frame. At first I loved it. But every time I stopped for a break it had to be set up and it always drew a crowd. A 5 minute pee break turned into a half our tour. And there were all those moving parts. The Trillium is the replacement. Nine years later, there is nothing I like better.
That is so true. I looked for several years to find this one. I love the trailer but my wife wants a bit more comfort. I compare the Oxygen to a cool sports car. It is very cool to look at, it tows fantastic, but in the end a pickup truck is much more practical. I wish I had the room to keep more than one but I have my classic boat, just bought a pontoon boat and I am buying another fiberglass camper this afternoon. I know I'll regret it later.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #7

Name: Herb-in-FL
Trailer: looking to buy
Florida
I see that on the Classified marketplace you have placed your lovely Bonair up for sale. As an artist, and one who appreciates good aerodynamic design, I have always considered those trailers a work of art.
Herb-in-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 01:10 PM   #8

Registry
This one in particular is an absolute work of art. Very beautiful. If you want to be noticed than this is the trailer for you. If you want to blend in than probably not. I'm still real iffy about selling it. My wife has RA and she can't get in and out of the bed in the back thus we leave the dinette down as a bed for her. I am a morning person who gets up 4:30 or 5:00 and would love to have a dinette to sit and drink coffee or whatever. Unfortunately we are not fitting well.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:33 PM   #9
Raz

So now the decision has been made, what is the replacement to be? What's your best fit?
Old 06-15-2019, 06:21 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
So now the decision has been made, what is the replacement to be? What's your best fit?
The decision is still iffy. If someone takes it off my hands we'll probably go with an early 2000's Bigfoot 21. I've even been looking at older Bigfoot 5th wheels but it must be pretty nice.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:17 AM   #11
Raz

Quote:
The decision is still iffy. If someone takes it off my hands we'll probably go with an early 2000's Bigfoot 21. I've even been looking at older Bigfoot 5th wheels but it must be pretty nice.
Best start looking. At your price for such a unique and rare trailer, I suspect it will sell fast. Good luck on your egg hunt. Raz
Old 06-16-2019, 06:23 AM   #12

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
A great and unique trailer that does not meet your needs is a signal to move on. I think you have made the right choice.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:21 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
A great and unique trailer that does not meet your needs is a signal to move on. I think you have made the right choice.
Thanks. I'm kind of like the old guy selling his corvette. The joints just don't move like they used to for the wife and for myself. It is a beautiful trailer.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:24 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Best start looking. At your price for such a unique and rare trailer, I suspect it will sell fast. Good luck on your egg hunt. Raz
I had hoped that would be true. I figured if I put it in cheap it would go instantly kind of like ripping the bandage off. It has now been a few days and I'm waffling.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:00 AM   #15

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
The dealership from whom we bought our BF 25RQ had a Black HQ19 on the lot. Very, very impressive. But we wanted a table big enough to hold 4 adults as well as being able to convert the table to a bed for 2 adults. Also the suspension was overbuilt for what we need. And not sure about spare parts. It will be interesting to see how well insulated it is and the construction quality. You will have a line of people wanting a tour, for sure. Did I mention it is impressive? This is the way a camping trailer should be designed and made. About time the RV industry has some foreign competition.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:04 PM   #16

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
Two nice trailers for sale! Alas, the time isn't right for us, not saying it won't be in the future.
For now, we just returned from six weeks in our Casita, in southern Utah, with our two dogs. We must admit, the last couple of days, we were looking forward to returning home (and taming the Pacific Northwest rainforest jungle (it wasn't growing when we left!)

I saw those Blacks at an RV show last year in Salem, Oregon. They appeared to be able to go any place one could drag them. I especially liked the instrumentation.
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:22 PM   #17

Smith Valley, Nevada
Rzrbrn: "Did I mention it is impressive? This is the way a camping trailer should be designed and made. About time the RV industry has some foreign competition."

Spongelander: "I saw those Blacks at an RV show last year in Salem, Oregon. They appeared to be able to go any place one could drag them. I especially liked the instrumentation."

Will you guys please stop!? I can hardly wait as it is!

Tags
oxygen