Books on the Road - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-13-2018, 03:46 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Books on the Road

I bought five books for our trip to Newfoundland, three by Mlodinow. Unfortunately they came last weekend and I am almost done with reading all three and we don't leave Florida until April 15th, this Sunday.

The three books are Subliminal (How Your Unconscious Mind rules your Behavior), The Drunkard's Walk (How randomness rules our lives), Elastic (Flexible thinking in a Time of Change). These book are all Joyous reads though the math in Drunkard's Walk may wear many out.

One of the marvelous aspects of retirement is time to available togain knowledge.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:56 PM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
The Drunkard's Walk is on the shelf to be revisited, as I found it an interesting read the first time. I hope you're right about time in retirement; it's just around the corner.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:14 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingBob View Post
The Drunkard's Walk is on the shelf to be revisited, as I found it an interesting read the first time. I hope you're right about time in retirement; it's just around the corner.
Time in retirement is up to you. I have found that I say NO a lot times. It seems I'm always being asked to do this or that for some organization or another. My stock answer is NO. You have work to keep commitments to minimum. Since we like Norm and Ginny travel a lot as we do (not as much as Norm and Ginny) it makes for good reasons to NOT accept commitments.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:09 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Time in retirement is up to you. I have found that I say NO a lot times. It seems I'm always being asked to do this or that for some organization or another. My stock answer is NO. You have work to keep commitments to minimum. Since we like Norm and Ginny travel a lot as we do (not as much as Norm and Ginny) it makes for good reasons to NOT accept commitments.
Is that not why one retires in the first place? Specifically, so that your time is your own and you do not have to be in a specific place at a given time. While I am just as busy post retirement as I was pre retirement, any commitment I might make is by choice, not due to economic necessity.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:34 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I find volunteering is a good outlet. If it doesn't work out, walk away. And you can work on your schedule, travel when you want, etc. Once you disconnect activity from generating income, there are a lot of opportunities out there to do what you want, when you want.

On books, I've stopped dragging books around and am using my Kindle more (actually its a Fire HD, but basically the same thing).
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:34 AM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Those Kindle Fires are great. I had several 7" ones I liked, then got an 8" I liked better. ...Noticable difference. But I love the 10" one, and picked up a 2nd one when they were on sale. If they come out with a 12" one, I won't need glasses.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:53 AM   #7

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
When traveling my wife down loads books from the library. She puts them on her mp3 player and then plugs that into the car radio. It's amazing how fast the miles go by while listening to a good book.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:14 AM   #8

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I have a Kindle fire and as an Amazon Prime member you can pick out one of a number free E-books once a month. They also have an audio book feature but I think there is a subscription fee for it or the books for sale cost more but I haven't really looked into that.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:29 AM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
books

as we hit the junk stores there is always a good supply of the throwaway type. no book clubs here no amazon no kindle!

all costs money then they have to be downloaded

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:28 PM   #10

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Most public libraries sell used paperbacks and hardcover books for 1-2 dollars. The money supports their library programs. I always find a decent book or two whenever I need a travel book. Then I donate it to another library rather than carry it home.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:45 PM   #11

Name: Dan
Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25B25RQ
California
Kindle paperwhite here. And can easily download via wifi or call when I need another book. Paperwhite looks like a book page and can be read in direct sunlite. There are cheaper ways to get books, but not more convenient and space saving.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 02:36 PM   #12

Name: Steve
New York
I used to check out the library's audiobooks on CDs. Now I only download audio books and have done so since 2013. I go through 2-3 per week. I don’t want to acquire any more possessions than I have to. Donated 28 boxes of boxes to the library in 2010.
Stevieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 02:54 PM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
my policy used books

I don't collect used books I don't covet them if I cant get rid of them by giving them away into the trash they go. that is their final destination anyway wife former teacher they hit the dumpster all the time with them!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:35 AM   #14

Name: Vicki
Trailer: Casita 16' Freedom Deluxe
Missouri
If you discard your used books, why not recycle and keep them out of the landfill???
GlassCastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:28 AM   #15

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
BookBub

For e-readers, try BookBub. Great deals, often free, to download from Amazon. Yours to keep. No fees. New internet authors as well as NY Times best sellers. Stock up your little tablet with a truckload of books!

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:51 AM   #16

New York
Libraries receive far more books than they can sell. Duplicates/triplicates and obsolete books. They recycle what can’t be sold.
And they DON’T want old National Geographics !!
Old 04-29-2018, 02:39 PM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
My Books for Newfoundland

I described 3 books to start this thread, I've read them and now have started a fourth, Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman.

This is a marvelous book I'm sure to finish before we leave on the 10th of May. All four books are marvelous reads for those of you who want to know more about yourself. I am thoroughly enthralled. THough I'll be done reading them, I'll be thinking about them through the trip.

I have one additional book, A historical fiction book, A Land Remembered about the settlement of Florida, This classic begins about 1859 when a family settles in Florida.

I was steered to all these books by others. The last one is our Escape park book club's book for next November.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:12 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I do lots of reading - I keep a database of read books so I don't pick up the same book a second time (although at my age, if it has been more than 5-6 years, I probably won't realize I've already read it). 2017 books since I started the database in 2006. Mostly popular fiction, most mystery/detective/suspense/science fiction, but I'll read anything!

While I help keep my local bookstore in business when in Oswego, I do lots of exchanges at campground laundries, swaps at the various book sellers in Quartzsite, and, over the last year, actually moved into the modern world & bought a Kindle. About half & half between real books & the Kindle, with some of the Kindle books from my home town library.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 04:00 PM   #19

New York
Ya got me beat. I listen to just over 2 books per week since 2010. You are just over 3 per week.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:04 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevieboy View Post
Ya got me beat. I listen to just over 2 books per week since 2010. You are just over 3 per week.
I have friends that love audio books, but I've tried them, and either I get interested & drive off the road, or pay attention to driving, and get lost in the story.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote