Boondocking - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2018, 10:51 AM   #1

Name: Dwain
Trailer: Searching
Florida
Boondocking

Just wondering, with the Legacy Elite, for two people, how long will the typical water/electricity last? I understand that without a generator, that I cannot use AC. I am just curious as many state parks that I look out do not have hook up for electricity. Also, I know this may be a difficult question to answer, but on the average, how long before you would have to go to dumping station?

Thanks!
Dwain
Dwainkitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:31 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwainkitchens View Post
Just wondering, with the Legacy Elite, for two people, how long will the typical water/electricity last? I understand that without a generator, that I cannot use AC. I am just curious as many state parks that I look out do not have hook up for electricity. Also, I know this may be a difficult question to answer, but on the average, how long before you would have to go to dumping station?

Thanks!
Dwain

that's an impossible question to answer significantly. Two people in our 13' Scamp can go almost the battery will last 2 months in the summer, less in the winter. Water, I've still got most of the water I put into the fresh water tank this spring.
Others can often manage a day or two with both water and battery.

You have to camp and watch both to have some idea how long water and battery will last you.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:40 PM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:

Thanks!
Dwain
There are way too many variables here that are unknown. Do you have a house battery that is getting recharged as you drive. How much recharging happens on a daily basis. What is your electrical use. Are you using things such as TVs, computers, radios, fans or other items off the 12volt system. If all you are using is a few LED lights and you drive a little bit to top up the battery you will have no problems.

As to the water situation, if you are using the campground bathrooms for toilet and shower you won't need a lot of water. Hopefully where you camp has a potable water source for the campers, that makes it easy. The long term off grid boondockers typically shower every 4 days and do a minimal water sponge bath daily. The economy size packs of baby wet wipes are great for freshening up without a lot of water, that large size pack saves money. Get a couple of Huggies Clutch and Clean pouches to put the wet wipes in. Those are a great product that keep them nice and wet for months. They have a strap on it so you can hang one in the bath area, by the bed, one in the car, etc. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Huggies-N...32-ct/35930538
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:34 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
We had serious trouble stretching the rather small grey holding tank in our Casita 16 for more than 3-4 nights with minimal sponge-baths when my wife is along. If its just me, I can make it stretch 5-6 nights. The 28 gallon tanks in our Escape 21 are a pleasure, by comparison.

battery usage for us is heavily dependent on how much we need the heater at night, my wife tends to want more heat than I do. the heater fan draws quite a bit of juice. LED lighting, and a MAXXfan (or FantasticFan) on low draw very little power.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:59 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:

Thanks!
Dwain
Sounds like you haven't done much camping, if you had this would all be first hand to you. I would suggest you go tent camping 3-4 times and things will all start to fit into place. Spending $60,000 for the Oliver and then finding out it may not workout for you may not be the best way to learn to camp.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:03 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Sounds like you haven't done much camping, if you had this would all be first hand to you. I would suggest you go tent camping 3-4 times and things will all start to fit into place. Spending $60,000 for the Oliver and then finding out it may not workout for you may not be the best way to learn to camp.

trainman

Old 08-10-2018, 04:11 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
A less drastic approach is to start out in campgrounds with hook-ups. Book a week or two but don't plug in, connect water or sewer, etc. Find out what you run out of/fill up first, and experiment with modifying your behavior to stretch it out longer. Everything's right there if and when you need it.

Just make sure to monitor your battery, not letting it fall below 50% charge, as deep discharges can permanently damage a lead-acid battery.

I agree that there are too many variables- trailer, weather, and personal habits- to hazard even a rough guess.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:38 AM   #8

Name: Dwain
Trailer: Searching
Florida
Thanks everyone! I am just trying to gather info at this point. My wife and I do plan to rent small rv's over the next few years and I am sure that will give us some direction. I am not sure when I will retire, I am just a long rage planner and like learning and asking questions. Our first RV experience will be in about ten months.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions!
Dwain
Dwainkitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:20 AM   #9

Name: skalywag
Trailer: Oliver
Tennessee
Registry
Dwain,
Based on our personal experiences, we can go 7 days comfortably without having to visit a dump station. This is done by using the campground's bathhouses and being careful. As other's have stated, there are many factors at play. Camping is quality time for us and reducing it to it's lowest terms is sometimes not enjoyable.
Cheers,
skalywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:15 PM   #10

Name: julie
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
A less drastic approach is to start out in campgrounds with hook-ups. Book a week or two but don't plug in, connect water or sewer, etc. Find out what you run out of/fill up first, and experiment with modifying your behavior to stretch it out longer. Everything's right there if and when you need it.

Just make sure to monitor your battery, not letting it fall below 50% charge, as deep discharges can permanently damage a lead-acid battery.

I agree that there are too many variables- trailer, weather, and personal habits- to hazard even a rough guess.

Jon that is a much kinder response. Thank you
julmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:00 PM   #11

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
We keep our battery topped up with a solar panel. We use water from jugs for drinking - use wipes for personal cleanliness plus the campground showers. We use a porta potti at night - campground facilities the rest of the time. No air conditioner, just occasional use of a fan. Heating is by propane.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:45 AM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
With my previous trailer I could easily go through 10 gallons in 2.5 days, just washing and flushing (my drinking water was separate). But I've figured out that a lot of it is wasted due to the speed of the water pump. Now I don't have plumbing in the Hauley so I use a 5 gallon blue water container to dispense the wash water, and it comes out quite slowly. The toilet is a bucket, no water. 5 gallons will now last 2 weeks.

So, like others have said, it depends!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:55 AM   #13

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post

trainman
🤔 Not sure I see the equation here. You could not pay my wife to go tent camping, yet she totally loves camping in our 5.0 TA.
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:13 PM   #14

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Hotchkiss View Post
🤔 Not sure I see the equation here. You could not pay my wife to go tent camping, yet she totally loves camping in our 5.0 TA.
This post was answering the original poster question, it would not apply to campers like yourselves.

trainman
Old 08-13-2018, 05:14 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Your questions are hard to answer because it depends on how you camp and the time of year. If you get an Oliver with the solar you can go indefinitely without hooking up to shore power. We don’t drink or cook with water in our fresh tank, so we can go quite a while without running out. Black depends on availability of clean toilets. We’ve been to campgrounds where we wouldn’t go near them and campgrounds where they were downright pleasant. Nice dry camp campgrounds that come to mind are Horsethief near Moab and Indian Cove at Joshua Tree. If you are out on BLM grounds with nothing (like at Quartzsite) your time is not as long. Mike
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:56 PM   #16

Name: R
Trailer: Escape
Illinois
Experiment

Quote:

Thanks!
Dwain
It all depends on you all and where you are. I recommend going some place close to home and/or with backup to see how it works for you all. It can be fun, with out the risk. For example, go to a full service park and do not use the hook ups until they are needed. . One of the things you can test while doing this is your tank monitors. It is always good to know if they work and not just how much time you have between levels.

If you want to extend your stay try using a tote. I find one very useful for gray water. I also recommend experimenting with fresh water run through the gray tank just to ensure it all works as anticipated. It is all about experimenting while managing the down side. This concept can be very helpful in managing partner expectations and avoiding situations that might turn somebody off prematurely. Have a good time.
Little Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:58 PM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
I agree with previous posters - it all depends on resources available close to your camp site such as markets, restrooms & fresh water, as well as your usage of your trailer’s facilities.

Regarding electricity, your battery will last longer if you have LED lights and a propane refrigerator, water heater and stovetop. You need to consider if you have more than 1 battery & the type of battery.

Other than lights, what else is happening in your trailer? Do you have a 12 volt ceiling fan, a radio or TV? A CAAP machine? Can you supplement you lights with battery powered LED lamps, head lights, flashlights?

In my experience, fresh water and grey water is a problem. Once again, can you dispose your grey water at your camp site? I have
camped at private grounds where I was given permission to drain my fresh water tank on site. If that is not possible, you’ll have to take your trailer to a dump site.

I have no idea re the capacity of your fresh water tank. The extent of your water conservation habits will determine how long that tank lasts. Also, how close are you to store that sells drinking water? Propane tanks?

Which brings me to two issues: trailer/camping resource planning: I alway ID the closest and most convenient propane exchange, fresh water source, dump site and market to my campsite.

Second issue: small trailers are easy to take places - like a dump site or gas station with a potable water faucet. You’ll still want to conserve because it’s still a PITA, but it’s not the end of the world.

Of course if you decide to camp someplace remote & hours from civilization ... have fun.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:28 PM   #18

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

What a thoughtful response. I like the way you think!
Old 08-19-2018, 11:16 AM   #19

Name: Vince
Trailer: Toyota Odyssey
California
Camp out in your driveway for a few days and you'll have the answers to your questions.
Harlan C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:50 PM   #20

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlan C View Post
Camp out in your driveway for a few days and you'll have the answers to your questions.
We camped in our driveway, our campsite at home is better then others we have camped at. It offers electric, sewer, and water, plus the fishing is great.

trainman
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN3594.jpg   DSCN3596.jpg  

DSCN3597.jpg   DSCN3595.jpg  

DSCN3593.jpg  

Tags
oliver