Boondocking at National Forest sites in NH - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2006, 04:25 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
In the National Forest of NH. most, if not all, of the campgrounds are now held by private entities and have a on site campgound supervisor during the summer.
I think this is too bad that all our Fed. tax monies we send in can not keep these as a profit making buisness for our goverment but that is another subject.
Any way, to the point of Question.
Back in the day (when these were still in the hands of the National Forest dept.) they would leave several campgrounds open for free camping after a certain date in Oct.
Last week my wife and I went and got our Christmas tree permit from the ranger station and went into the forest on a well known road in NH, low and behold the gates to the campgrounds are still open and the bathrooms are clean and had fresh TP inside.
There was no camp supervisor and his campsite was neatly packed away for winter.
Does anyone know if boondocking at these campsites are allowed in the winter at no charge and who are maintaining them?
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Good question.

Here's the USDA Forest Service page

Looks like Pro-Sport, Inc. is the ones administering the campgrounds, but there is no mention of free winter camping.
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:43 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
There's a phone number on the page Lee provided a link to. I suggest you call them. I don't know if there's a difference between NF policies here in the west and there. Here we can camp anyplace that isn't gated or signed "No Camping". We like what is known as dispersed camping, that is where there is no campground. I would ask about the non-gated campgrounds, and dispersed camping. If they anything like the folks here you'll get lots of good information.

Tags
boondocking, dry camping