Boondocking in a natural disaster - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-28-2014, 06:49 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
While I could use the Escape as a "Bug Out" home, where I live requires that your stick & brick can survive without utility supplied electricity - I often powered critical stuff for a week using the car & an inverter. Our local utility (National Grid) was in the habit of presenting us with 2-3 day or even 1 week blackouts), usually in the middle of winter, although after the state fined them they have improved. We heated with wood up until a year ago when it became less expensive to buy natural gas than firewood (and easier on the back!)

Before she passed away, my wife was dependent on an oxygen concentrator, and the inverter didn't quite do it, so I had a 15K natural gas generator with a whole house transfer switch installed. Runs the entire house and then some (I've powered some of my neighbors during blackouts until they got their own generators). I'm set as long as the natural gas lines are working, and still have a cord or two of wood for heat if they go down, and, since it is parked at home, could escape to the Escape!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:53 PM   #22

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Norm, New Hampshire is a bit more rural isn't it? and, it seems the farther from a city the nicer folks are. I loved going there while stationed at Hanscom AFB. I spent many happy times cross country skiing in New Hampshire and Massachusetts back country.

I would not call myself a prepper but perhaps others would. The last two hurricanes hit us hard. Neither were as bad as the Long Island Express. My yacht club had the high water mark painted on a wall for many years.

Lots of people talk about bug out vehicles. An egg, van, or truck camper would work well. The best is a sailing yacht, because if well outfitted, full fuel tanks could last a year or even more if you needed to stretch it and unlike a camper, I could move it 1600 miles on less than a gallon of fuel--unbeatable as a big out vehicle. I plan to run charters on it so I can earn some money with it too.

I do like being self reliant and I'm tired of Electric Bills which is why I love my solar panels. I am loaded and prepped for another trip up to my boat. I have enough food to last a couple of weeks. I hope I don't run out of boat supplies.

I am thinking about selling most everything I have and moving into a bigger boat once I finish this boat project, and heading someplace warm like Culebra and migrating north and south with the seasons. I could still enjoy the Northeast and Canada, although it will be hard to give up my home. My uncle thinks I should hold onto the camper. I may do that but not if storage costs are too high.

I am a so-so fisherman but that would be something to put food on the table and a new and healthy challenge for me. My goal is to live out my days in harmony with nature and to reach a point where I need only purchase minimal consumables. To get to that point would require dedicating some serious resources-- just about everything I own.

I would enjoy fitting out the boat with solar panels and wind generators. With what I've learned outfitting my camper and living in it these last few months, I already know how I will do that.

My plan is to get a 50' Catamarran and cover the cabin top with 2000 watts of solar, two 600 watt wind generators and a 2400AH lithium battery bank. That should be enough to make all the water I'll need and I can dump the surplus into heating water. Plus I will design a solar hot water system, one for each hull. I should not need diesel except for motoring in the calms or minimal use running a Genset for air conditioning in humid conditions.

I'd like a diesel-jet tender, for reliability, and that would be my "car" to get around running out for supplies and the real fuel consumer. It would also be my tanker for refueling also. I would not have to dock except for annual haul outs. My only worry is finding one light enough to carry. I may have to build my own.

Best of all I would be reducing my bills to just food, fuel, insurance, medical, and maintenance. I will be eliminating many expenses and almost all taxes.

Right now I'm supporting an expensive school system, expensive road construction, and town pensions. Why? I can always choose to move back ashore into a cheaper house in Florida or Charleston at some point when my health fails.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:04 PM   #23

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
If I actually had to bug out then the camper would be a good option. It's just most of the natural disasters where I live would be winter or a tornado, no hurricanes or flooding where I live. I'm pretty sure if the house got hit by a tornado the FG camper next to it would not be all that usable.

For after a tornado I would probably set up the tent in the back yard and make life interesting for any looters that showed up. Probably won't be able to watch tv so looters would be the entertainment you could say.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:23 PM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Conrad,

Just about everywhere is more rural than Connecticut with twice the population density of China. Even CT has rural portions. We used to lie in the northeast corner, that's where we had our dome home, 35 acres up against a state forest.

One of NH's strength is a low crime rate and it's culture.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:18 AM   #25

Name: David
Trailer: Airstream International CCD 28
Florida
My friend who retired from FEMA likes to say...

"You cannot pick your time of crisis"

"You will only rise to the state of your own preparedness"

"No one will be there for you or your family"

Be ready at all times.

www.lifestylereadiness.org

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-30-2014, 07:23 AM   #26

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Probably won't be able to watch tv so looters would be the entertainment you could say.

I hope the need never arises for you to do social work.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking