Boondocking Tips?? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-28-2013, 11:07 PM   #41

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Wink

"a bit warm"
UNDERSTATEMENT

Also, the wind/dust will drive any camp-engineer bonkers. You have to have filters on every open port in your rig or else.

BUT it is fun.

Just remember to get an up-to-date-map and avoid or search for the "Clothing Optional" areas at your own risk way funny if you stumble into that unprepared. U gotta whole bunch of 60+ something peeps from Woodstock all pruned up and sunburnt in places that, well, shouldn't be burnt if you get my drift.
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #42

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Oh Ive done the clothing optional scene before lol, Im almost thin enough now to not fall into the category of "those that shouldn't take their clothes off in public" lol

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #43

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Steve, looks like you found a great spot. I loved exploring that area, lots of interesting history. Ended up spending a extra couple of days in the area than originally planned exploring & did spot a number of places that looked to be great for boon docking. In hindsight I wish I had stayed longer.

Re the creative ways folks have suggested for getting rid of human waste. Note that Arizona BML website reads " To further protect your public lands, campers must not dispose of any refuse, hazardous materials, sewage, or gray water, in any manner that would pollute the surrounding area. PACK IT OUT." BC Recreation Campsites also have a rule on their website is very simple "Do not empty your holding tank".

I am well aware that a good argument can be put forward in regards to human waste not falling into the "pollution" category and it will eventually go back to the earth. But I have to ask whats to gain by depositing your human waste or grey water on public lands? Whats the gain over just either taking your porta potty or bucket with you or draining off your black tank or grey tank into a portable tote, once every 4-5 days or so and when out exploring the area dumping at a gas station bathroom?

I am a long time kayaker going into remote places (sometimes by float plane) for extended periods of time and I get why at times it is necessary to dispose of human waste in an eco responsible manner at times but I really struggle with why it would be necessary to do that when camping with a trailer and having a car to take it away in. Yes the gas station or approved site to dump may well be out of the way but I personally feel the trip or just draining the waste into a separate portable container and holding until I leave is more than worth it if it means I am not leaving more than a foot print at my camping area. With the increasing number of people using remote lands for camping, its pretty hard to say that you are in fact the only party who ever goes into that spot in the course of a year. It you were able to tow your trailer into that area its a real good bet someone else has and will also. Some of us work hard at "Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.” As a result I know I would not be thrilled to be exploring my camping area and stumbling across what some animal has decided to dig up at a disposal site and the bugs etc it attracts and knowing the party that did it actually had a car to pack it out in. Just saying!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #44

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I would not be thrilled to be exploring my camping area and stumbling across what some animal has decided to dig up at a disposal site and the bugs etc it attracts
A wonderfull segue into My Favorite Rant- thanks, Carol!

Absolutely, positively, the most disgusting thing to encounter while camping is evidence of other peoples' "output"!!!

And in most cases, that means TOILET PAPER....poo itself disintegrates very politely away an inch or so below the ground and even if dug up by an animal is so well mixed with the native soil as to be odorless/indistinguishable from the soil itself.

Not so with the paper we insist on bringing along in our pockets, though evidently in most cases without any intention of bringing it back home again. Who among us has not seen the evidence of this?

Do NOT dispose of TP where there's any possibility that it can/will be dug up...best practice is to pack it out, or burn it in your firepit if allowed.

I myself don't ever put it in my porta-potty, but this rule should especially be adhered to if pit disposal is the treatment method of choice.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking