Boondocking-What's it mean to you? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-28-2007, 05:43 PM   #15

Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Registry
I'll go with Charlynn's definition.

Most of our camping is probably in places where Byron would feel at peace. On the other hand we bought the trailer because we feel no inclination to feel uncomfortable or deprived. Been there, done that.

Monday I'm heading to a remote place along the John Day river where the lack of services or people would probably fit the "boondocking" scheme quite nicely. No cell phone, no satellite, no city lights, no noise.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:52 PM   #16

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
I'll go with Charlynn's definition.
Most of our camping is probably in places where Byron would feel at peace. On the other hand we bought the trailer because we feel no inclination to feel uncomfortable or deprived. Been there, done that.
Monday I'm heading to a remote place along the John Day river where the lack of services or people would probably fit the "boondocking" scheme quite nicely. No cell phone, no satellite, no city lights, no noise.
I wanna go too.... But I gotta work..

Old 09-28-2007, 07:03 PM   #17

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
[b]boondocks pl.n. Slang 1. Wild and dense brush; jungle. 2. Rural country; the backwoods. [< Tagalog bundok, mountain.]
The American Heritage College Dictionary Fourth Edition
... and when you're out there, there are no services available, and thus boondocking implies going without external services, such as water, sewer, power, and communications. (Greg already made this point).

Dispersed camping is a term specific to the agency which runs the areas where it is allowed, and I believe it means outside of an organized campground... which implies, again, no services.

So what if you camp in a campground, or even a store parking lot, but without services? This leads to the term "dry camping", meaning without a water supply or sewer connection... and I suppose also without power. Thus, "dry" means "no power", which must confuse people the way an obviously wet wine is called "dry" if it has little sweetness.

I would go for just specifying the level of services (none, power only, water and power) for clarity, but I don't think we'll get rid of confusing use of "boondocking" and "dry camping".

I don't see how either "boondocking" or "dry camping" suggests the lack of a generator any more than it suggest a lack of propane or water tanks or a battery. Those are the kind of portable facilities that make an RV different from a truck or cargo trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:20 PM   #18

Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
I don't see how either "boondocking" or "dry camping" suggests the lack of a generator any more than it suggest a lack of propane or water tanks or a battery. Those are the kind of portable facilities that make an RV different from a truck or cargo trailer.
Ooops I forgot one.

Without generator or one close by.

Thanks for reminding me.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:25 AM   #19

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
I doubt we could go "boondocking" by Byron's definition with our Scamp 5er. It has a toilet. It has a shower (sort of). But, most of all, it has a queen-sized memory foam mattress with a comfy, thick quilted bedspread.

I think "Boondocking" and "Being in the Boondocks" might be different things. I'd say boondocking is anytime you're out camping you've only got what you take with you to live with and on, and I'm happily willing to concede Byron's No Generators rule. Being "In the Boondocks" would be when you can go hiking around your campsite and never see a place to hook up water or electricity.

My take.

--Peter
Old 09-29-2007, 01:11 AM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Define: Boondocking

Boondocking
No fresh water, electricity or sewer utilities while camping in an RV.

http://www.texasrvdirectory.com/terms.html
Old 09-29-2007, 01:12 AM   #21

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Thanks, Greg and Per, I feel as popular as a Frosh Queen!

Whew! A Bit dizzy there. I am OK now.

And Byron, I agree with the "without."

RE Generators: on The Long Camping Trip (7 weeks across Canada 3 years ago) we stayed in a beautiful little town, Tumbler Ridge, which had two camping options.

Option 1 was a sun-lit field with full services; a parking lot on the plains. No shade (it was hot) but all the hook-ups you might want. Twenty bucks a day or so, Municipal.

Option 2 was no services (except one concrete-block shower/washroom with electric lights, as well as a kids play structure) by the creek in the pines. Eight dollars, Service Club ( Kinsmen or Rotary, I forget).

We chose the creek in the pines. After the first night, we noticed Honda generators running for a few hours a day. These were not travellers, but young workers who lived there all summer. They could not recharge by driving, they stayed there and worked 8, 10, 12 hour shifts and came "home" to Lights or TV or Microwaves or DVDs or whatever. The sites were well spread apart, so no big noise factor, and our site was on the creek, to play with during our leisurely days.

They were "boon-docking" as we were, but for different reasons. As Don Cherry would say, "I love dem Guys."

On edit: Tumbler Ridge, BC and Pine Cree, Sask have the most unusual and wonderful creeks!
Old 09-29-2007, 02:07 PM   #22

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
Boondocks and boondocking are two different words that look alike. I live in the boondocks. My nearest neighbor is five mles away and the nearest settlement in any direction is 35 miles away. I think that qualifies as boondocks. Especially when I have a power failure during a winter blizzard. One can pass through the boondocks in transit, but boondocking implies that one seeks out a place without amenities, and possibly without 'neighbors' except for lions, tigers, and bears. Once there, one lives self-sufficiently by depending only on what you have brought with you. Kind of like our pioneer forebears in the covered wagons: if you didn't bring it, you don't got it. For me, a measure of isolation is an important aspect of boondocking. This means that overnight stops at Walmart don't count, as they might for some others.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:03 PM   #23

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Boondocking, as camping with an RV without outside services, may mean going to significant effort to provide some comforts of life. Byron is describing a deliberate effort to avoid those comforts; it's a worthy goal in itself, but I think it needs another name. "Primitive camping" and "basic camping" come to mind, but both could have unintended implications.

I am not a fan of generators; I was just noting that there's no fundamental difference - in my opinion - between using a tank, electric pump, and battery to provide running water (which not available as an outside service), and using a generator to provide power (which is not available as an outside service).

I guess in the end my answer to the original question is that "boondocking" means nothing - or at least nothing specific enough to be useful - to me. The freedom to camp without outside services, on the other hand, is an essential ingredient of an RV setup which is useful to me.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #24

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Boondocking, as camping with an RV without outside services, may mean going to significant effort to provide some comforts of life. Byron is describing a deliberate effort to avoid those comforts; it's a worthy goal in itself, but I think it needs another name. "Primitive camping" and "basic camping" come to mind, but both could have unintended implications.

I am not a fan of generators; I was just noting that there's no fundamental difference - in my opinion - between using a tank, electric pump, and battery to provide running water (which not available as an outside service), and using a generator to provide power (which is not available as an outside service).

I guess in the end my answer to the original question is that "boondocking" means nothing - or at least nothing specific enough to be useful - to me. The freedom to camp without outside services, on the other hand, is an essential ingredient of an RV setup which is useful to me.

"Primitive Camping" is what I do when I use my other trailer (45lb backpack). Without trailer.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:38 PM   #25

Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Washington
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy_of_Oct_5_8_2007_006.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	10464

Just got back from a weekend of "Boondocking". niice. Was on Dept of Wildlife land- stay is limited to 3 days according to the sign, but this time of the year prob could strecth it out longer. Just about 5 miles South of Grand Coulee Dam. Larry
Old 10-08-2007, 08:40 PM   #26

Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Washington
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

The view in the other direction.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy_of_Oct_5_8_2007_007.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	10465
Larry
Old 10-08-2007, 08:55 PM   #27

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Nice area and photos.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:01 PM   #28

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Exclamation

I noticed these definations posted on "Open Roads Forum" and they seem to be good ones at least they fit my thoughts on the subject:

Dry Camping: Means no utility hook ups such as water, electricity, sewer, cable TV or telephone and may or may not require a fee. Can either be in a city, state, or federal campground, a sporting venue or a parking lot.

Overnighting: Stopping at a Rest Stop, Flying J's or WALMART overnight to catch a few winks.

Boondocking: Means wilderness or primitive camping out in the "boondocks." Natural beauty with little or no (noisy) neighbors. This type of camping (usually in Public Lands like State, BLM, and National Forests) is usually FREE. Just find a place and park.

Finally, you always dry camp when you boondock, but you don't always boondock when you dry camp.

2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, dry camping