Boston to Florida - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Boston to Florida

We live in Eastern Canada looking for advice as to the best route- we will be leaving towards the end of February - towing an escape17 . Any advise would be appreciated, we're currently looking at route 81- then would like to cut back towards the coast (I95) after Washington/ Virginia - would like to avoid the mountains.
Min D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Min D, We travel along the east coast often and my suggestion would be Rt 81 but be aware that it has its mountainous area down to about Harrisburg, Pa. once you cross into Va you will want to pick up Rt 17 which will be a bit hilly as well but not near as bad as if you stayed on 81. Rt 17 is a good secondary dual lane hwy and will take you to Fredericksburg, Va. by getting off onto I-66 east then exit 28 onto Rt 17, this will take you to Rt 95 about 55 miles north of Richmond. These roads are usually pretty clean as long as its not a raging blizzard, have a good trip, Bill
Old 12-16-2012, 10:31 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
One route we have taken many times is NY Thruway from Albany NY area, down to I 84, then over to I 81 down through Virginia to I 77 which goes over the mountains, then down to Columbia SC where we get on I 26 which takes us out to I 95. We have also taken this other route: NY Thruway down to I 287, to the New Jersey Turnpike and into Delaware, then route 13 down through Delaware, Maryland, and into Virginia and across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge / Tunnel, after which you can head over to I95, or as we did which was US 17 and maybe some of 13 down to Wilmington NC and then down to Myrtle Beach, then on to Savannah GA , and now at Jekyll Island GA, and on to Florida late January. No mountains on this second route.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:25 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I 81 in Pennsylvania is a bit mountainous but not bad. The trucks slow every one down on the long grades. Instead of I84, we take I88 to I81. Very pleasant ride. Going down route 13 and across the Chesapeake bridge tunnel is interesting but you need to go through New Jersey. Picture 5 lanes of traffic each way, bumper to bumper at 70 mph and everyone is mad at you because you are in front of them. I like I81 better. Have a safe trip. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:36 AM   #5

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
I95 north of Richmond, VA is very busy with a lot of truck traffic. I try to avoid that section and bypass NY City, Philadelphia, and Washington DC. South of Richmond still has traffic, but it's easier to deal with. If you're coming through Hartford, CT, you can travel I84 to pick up I81 in Scranton, PA. Keep in mind that "parkways" in NY do not allow towing a trailer.

I try to use I81, but you need to watch the weather. Snow in the mountains along I81 is a very real problem. If it looks like snow, head east to 95 using one of the routes already mentioned, grit your teeth and deal with the traffic, or find a camp spot and hang out till they clean up I81.
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I found that taking I287 all the way to the Jersey Turnpike would keep us away from the Newark area that has heavier traffic. When we came down it was a slow day as we saw ONLY two rearend crashes. Sometimes we avoid Scranton PA by going down to I80 just before there. I think it's I380 off I84.You can't pump your own gas in NJ.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote