Bought a camper finally - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2012, 12:53 AM   #1

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Bought a camper finally

Have been looking for a long time and found a piece of history for a camper.

I spent a long time thinking about egg campers and it seemed the hit on the fuel economy of my small tow vehicle...a Volvo 240 would be the same as a slide in camper for my pickup truck and I could still tow a boat behind that.

So I have been looking at slide in campers. My favorite is the Bigfoot 10.6E. I found one and the the owner decided to keep it. It was just as well as I could not afford it, even though it was a good price. At the same time I found an aluminum camper with aluminum framing. It is 45 years old and had a hole in the roof which let water into the back. It had fallen off one of the two saw horses it was on, so the damage is restricted to the back by the door.

In any event, the price was right...$425 and I ordered some tie downs and had planned to pick it up Sunday. Unfortunately one of the four tie downs does not fit because of an aftermarket fuel tank on my truck.

What I like about it, is it seems like enough space for me and the dog, and has room for a few more if needed. I have no idea if the appliances work. The stove looks good. The water heater is rebuild able or replaceable--it might still work. The fridge looks like it might work. The furnace looks bad The upholstery looks good. It needs new wiring, insulation, new plumbing, and some structural repairs. I am thinking about putting in a marine diesel heater, since my truck is a diesel, but I Iike the idea of a tiny wood stove also. I have a couple of solar panels that I traded for. I plane to make it a boondocker out of it.

I plan to make it functional for the short term and in the long term, I'd like to gut it and make it like new.

I am perhaps in the wrong forum but I like this group and hope you will indulge me.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:24 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Congratulations Conrad. Now plug the hole with fiberglass and maybe we'll show you the secret hand shake. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:30 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Conrad, I'm glad you found something that works for you. We know an all molded lightweight towable isn't for everyone. That said, you are welcome to hang out and read all you wish. Post camping experiences in the "Camping, Campout Reports" and join us in General Chat. However, this forum is a niche for owners of molded trailers. When it comes to repairs, etc. you'll find more help with like-minded owners of your particular truck camper elsewhere on the WWW.

Social Knowledge, which is the owner of this forum also owns IRV2.com You'll find friendly, helpful people there too and lots of discussions of aluminum truck campers.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:20 AM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
What a compliment, Conrad, and thank you !!
.....I think that a fg still might be in your future
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #5

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Congrats Conrad

Now maybe you will tell us exactly what you did find!?!?!?

As of now you are just teasing.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #6

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Smile

Welcome, With a Fiberglass patch on it would have Fiberglass on it, sound wounderful.
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #7

Connecticut
I am thinking of covering the new floor deck with fiberglass or possibly using a fiberglass or carbon fiber composite panel to make it lighter.

Here it is:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2428151090.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	43635
Old 03-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Cool!!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I have my doubts about the gas mileage being the same with a truck camper as with an egg trailer, but time will tell. I do think that the camper will let you go some places a trailer won't, and that can be good.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
I am thinking of covering the new floor deck with fiberglass or possibly using a fiberglass or carbon fiber composite panel to make it lighter.

Here it is:

Attachment 43635
Nice find! Looks vintage classy. And the two smaller windows look like the same as on my Boler. You'd fit right in with the Tin Can Tourists with that rig.

And BTW, as you have a Volvo 240 you are OK in my book!!! Even if you aren't using it to tow (right now)!
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #11

Connecticut
I have been studying my fuel economy closely. I made a mistake adjusting for speedo error, but now I am fairly confident I can get a reliable 26 mpg highway with my Volvo.

Towing means not using fifth gear--a big hit on fuel economy. Other Volvo people tell me the fuel economy drops dramatically while towing--about 50%. I doubt I'd get as much as 15 mpg towing unless it was an extremely light trailer.

My pickup gets about 15 mpg, with a load I expect it to drop to 12-13 mpg. So while I might to do better towing an egg, it would be an insignificant amount and it would be driving very slowly. The Volvo wagon is big enough for me to camp in with my dog--so I see it as a good long distance cruiser without a trailer, while the truck camper is suitable for trips about a one days drive from home--too far to drive home again the same day.

This camper will be a fun project. It will be 50% fun project and 50% useable camper and will give me some visitor guest space.

I like that it does not stand out and scream "target" while I can make the inside really nice. I looked at the vintage airstream site abd saw what some people had done with vintage airstreams--a truck camper project seemed like an easy and cheaper project for me.

These are some of my reasons for choosing a truck camper.

It seems that a trailer requires a camp ground and camp grounds have gotten so expensive.

I will be able to back in places easily and park in unobtrusive locations--perfect for boondocking.

I will only be using campgrounds on rare occasions, places like military bases which charge $10 a night to top off batteries or refill water.

I've asked for permission to overnight at restaurants I've patronized and most times they are ok with that--it is cheaper than a campground and I get a meal for my money.

This camper does not have a basement--I lose some space but keep a lower profile.

Finally, I feel safer higher up off the ground. People can't look in easily.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #12

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
conrad---looks for a nice rig. can't see inside but if the outside is any indication, it shouldn't be too bad at all! you have alot of plans for fitting it out to be your own--i hope it all works out for you.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #13

Michigan
Registry
Smile

Looks very nice, you will love it, check this site out

Old 03-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #14

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
That almost looks like my old '84 3/4 ton Chevy in the background.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #15

Michigan
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Kimble View Post
Looks very nice, you will love it, check this site out

Campground Directory and National Forest Campgrounds
Old 03-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #16
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Moved to General Chat, since this is a thread about an aluminum slide-in camper.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #17

Connecticut
I picked it up my slide in camper today, and made it home safe. I used magnetic turn signals mounted on my hitch, and plugged into my trailer wiring.

My Silverado is a dually Duramax/Alison and carried it not sweat. The suspension was fine, no swaying or anything. I've heard that some people upgrade the shocks or add air bags, I don't feel I need any of that.

Tomorrow I wash and clean it, and wire it up. I was told the lights worked by the 6 prong connector was mis-wired. I will be changing to a seven prong adapter. So hopefully the lights will work.

I did see that one of my tie down points was loose. So I'll have to tear apart the inside on that corner to fix it.