Box on the bumper... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #15

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I side with Donna and Carol on this issue, Carol has seen the junk the TRAILER GODDESS and I lug around.

My concern with ANY extras mounted to either the rear OR front of a trailer is the then imposed offset center of weight distributation which could cause 'some' towing issues....

Old 02-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Bumper Box
We limit items in the bumper box to water hoses, power cords, jack handles, chocks and blocks. Really not much in the way of weight. Basically bulky stuff needed for setup.
Norm
yup so do I but its funny how it all seems to expand over the summer! When I clean out the box I almost always find a lost item or two at the bottom. :-)

Old 02-22-2011, 04:38 PM   #17

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Mager View Post
I side with Donna and Carol on this issue, Carol has seen the junk the TRAILER GODDESS and I lug around.

My concern with ANY extras mounted to either the rear OR front of a trailer is the then imposed offset center of weight distributation which could cause 'some' towing issues....
Working hard not to try and keep up to all your new items each year Doug! Would hate to have to break down and buy a truck.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #18

Name: Matt
Trailer: U-Haul VT16, Escape 19
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Mager View Post

Yep, the only viable solution is boxes front AND rear!

I consider myself a visual person, too. But I sometimes find all the camping clutter visually distracting and wouldn't mind a caboose of sorts if it actually diminishes the loose junk and maybe facilitates organization.

Regards,

Matt
Old 02-22-2011, 09:48 PM   #19

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
As to ugly I believe one of the ugliest add-ons to a Scamp or Casitsa is the roof air conditioner. It just seems disproportionate for the size of the unit. I really prefer the Casita 16s standard room AC. It is more than adequate to cool. Very inexpensive to replace.

Norm
I agree about the roof AC being ugly because it spoils the smooth lines of a fiberglass trailer. I will add my opinion to the ugly list, the Maxx Air vent covers that cover a standard RV vent are huge and not attractive, although the MaxxFan has nice smooth low profile lines. Awnings, especially ones with supports attached vertically front and rear, really spoil the smooth trailer lines when not in use.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:19 AM   #20

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Andy,

I agree with your comments on Maxx Air and awnings. We had both on our motorhome and found them unnecessary. Awnings become a bother because the wind can play havoc with them. When we're traveling we spend a lot of time away from the rig exploring and are never confident enough to leave the awning up. Plus we always seem to be able to find shade

When we're weekend camping in a state park, spending the entire time there, an awning is fine.

Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
I agree about the roof AC being ugly because it spoils the smooth lines of a fiberglass trailer. I will add my opinion to the ugly list, the Maxx Air vent covers that cover a standard RV vent are huge and not attractive, although the MaxxFan has nice smooth low profile lines. Awnings, especially ones with supports attached vertically front and rear, really spoil the smooth trailer lines when not in use.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:28 AM   #21

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
Wow, it's kinda funny how this thread "morphed" into discussions about aesthetics, awnings, air conditioners, etc. The OP was just trying to get some info on the possibilities of adding a little storage space on the back, especially since (as we all know) our little trailers never have enough room for "stuff".

As to aesthetics, some may not like the box-on-the-back idea, but I can't think of anything uglier than a ratty spare tire chewing up the gelcoat on the back of a glass trailer. Worse than a NASCAR "door doughnut" in my opinion. I like my box, I'm happy with it, and I don't know what I'd do without it anymore. Just me...
Old 02-23-2011, 10:51 AM   #22

British Columbia
Registry
Hehe your right Creg it did morph but its important to note that aesthetics in most cases was not the only concern that was raised as the reason by those who dont like having a box attached to the back of the trailer.

Weight = safety concerns was also raised. IMHO the weight distribution one is the bigger more important reason and well worth giving serious thought to.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #23

Washington
Registry
Yes, that's true Carol. Weight distribution, and total weight/tongue weight ratios are definitely important issues to be considered when thinking about adding anything to our glass eggs, especially all the way forward or all the way aft. I did mention that, as for my trailer, it does run a bit "tongue-heavy", but other trailers may not balance out the same. It is important to be sure that any mod you make won't lighten your tongue too much, as this could cause poor handling and could even be quite dangerous.

Personally, I don't carry the spare on the back anymore, so the weight of the box is pretty much equal to the weight of the spare that now lives in the bed of the pickup with all the other heavy stuff when we travel. I only carry lightweight, but somewhat bulky items in it. It's handy for the sewer slinky (coiled in a 5 gal. plastic bucket,) water hoses, power cord, plastic jack pads and levelling blocks, plastic rake, camp axe, small shovel, etc. I don't use it for anything too heavy. My box, and its contents, are probably no more than 100 lbs for all of it. Certainly well within my total weight/tongue weight ratio.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #24

British Columbia
Registry
Darn them folks with pick up trucks that can take all that extra stuff - keeps making me think I need to seriously look at one as an option!
Old 02-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #25

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Casita Greg,

I think your bumper box is very attractive. Since we don't have the convenience of a truck, we've been considering other locations for the tire. Like you we mainly want to put trailer set up stuff in it.

Norm
Old 02-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #26

Washington
Registry
Norman,
Thanks for the kudos. No doubt about it, a pickup truck is definitely a godsend with a small travel trailer. With my canopy on it, I manage to schlog all manner of useless and unnecessary crapulence with me all over the country, lol.

I'm not sure what type of tow vehicle you have, but when I load out for a trip, I usually stick the spare for the trailer in first and pile everything on top of, and around, it. The odds of needing it are small, but I still wouldn't venture forth without one! If your tow rig has a trunk, or a rear (SUV-type) compartment you might be able to finagle it into some hidden nether reaches within the bowels of your storage area. Perhaps even on a roof rack if you should have one. Just a thought...
Old 02-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #27

Name: Patty
Trailer: Casita 13 ft
Texas
I think if I wanted to permanently add a little storage box, I'd add it to the front of the camper and not the back. Just my opinion.

I too use the tote box thing. In fact, I bought a big sort of flat one recently with tiny wheels on it (got it at Wal-Mart) and now I put my junk that I take with me in there. I haul it in my truck and after I set up, I slide it under the camper so I can get to it easily ... perfect!

Patty
Old 02-24-2011, 07:31 AM   #28

Washington
Registry
It's not permanently mounted. It is mounted on a 2" slide in receiver which I can easily remove by pulling the pin, just like a receiver trailer hitch. The boxes I found for mounting on the front would never be big enough to suit my needs, and if the sides of the box were to stick out horizontally beyond the "A frame" part of the tongue, I wouldn't have enough clearance for my tailgate when making tight turns. There is a method to my madness.