Box on the bumper... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2011, 11:26 PM   #1

Name: PaulOWindsor
Trailer: 2011 Trillium 1500 & 2002 Airstream 34
Ontario
Box on the bumper...

Fellow Eggers : I've noticed that some of you have a box installed on your back bumper for bar-b-q's, etc.

Is this a good idea...doesn't it obstuct the rear turning signals ??

I can imagine that it's nice to have some extra storage, especially for a yucky bar-b-q...but is installing one of these safe ??

Could I ask those of you with experience to chime in on this one please ...I'm very curious as to how it's been for you !!

Thanks in advance to those who respond.

P.
PaulOWindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
Re: Box on the bumper.

P.
I installed a nice aluminum diamond plate box on my rear bumper in which I store my Honda Generator.
See: Honda-genny-conversion-and-box
I did have to move the spare tire to the left but, as you can see, it still allows the lights to be seen properly.
Since I had already installed an extra battery up forward, the extra rear weight made little difference in the tongue weight ratio.
It's been on for 2 seasons and has been no preoblem - very convenient actually!
Good Luck.
Mike .....>
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Paul,
Here's some info on what I did. Hopefully, it will give you a "jumping off" point for your project. It's made by a company called "Stow-Away", and they make several different models. Mine is a 5 footer. If you do decide to go with a rear storage box, I would suggest removing the existing 4" sewer hose bumper and replacing it with a good 5' chunk of heavywalled 3" square channel, full welded to the existing 3" main frame channels. The standard sewer hose bumper is woefully inadequate to support the load, and will probably buckle under the weight. I also incorporated a 1.5" crossmember about a foot and a half forward of the rear bumper to brace and provide some additional support for the hitch. As for the hitch itself, I used about a 2' section of 2" receiver tubing (not the same as 2" square channel) for a standard 2" receiver hitch set-up. The 5 ft. box comes with built-in tail/directional/lic. plate lights, and I hooked those up with a 4-pin flat connector wired into the wiring bundle which runs along the floor of the trailer in the back under the toeboard. I don't know if you trailer is wired the same, but you should be able to pick up your lighting power taps somewhere inside your trailer where it feeds your trailer's lights. As to the strength of the assembly, The box weighs about 40 lbs, and I carry about 100 pounds of junk in the box, and also I stand on top of it (another 235 lbs) when I wash the trailer roof. It doesn't mind me being on it one bit. Also, the box comes with a lighted license plate bracket, because most standard lic. plate mounts would be eclipsed by the box. It also comes with a hefty key-lockable twist latch. Very secure. I'm not sure how your trailer weight distribution is, but my Casita is very tongue-heavy to begin with, so I have no problems with the added weight on the back as far as trailer handling is concerned.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00280.JPG   DSC00285.JPG  

DSC00284.JPG   DSC00276.JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
That looks nice, Greg. Is yours the standard or basic frame?
Cargo Carriers | Cargo Carrier | Stowaway Cargo Carrier

I also found some other posts, photos and ideas in this thread.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...per-39586.html
Old 02-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Matt,
I have the Standard model, with the fixed frame 2" receiver mount.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Box on Bumper prototype

On one of the manufacturer's sites I saw a prototype bumper box made of white fiberglass that 'faired into' the body. I can't remember which company but it looked very attractive.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #7

Registry
http://www.Escapetrailer.com has a new hitch mounted one, but it is not molded into the body.

Greg, it looks like you added the operating tail light option, too. that really looks clean and the Stowaway likes like a great option, if one can handle the weight back there. I suppose it depends on the trailer, and what you haul back there.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #8

Florida
I didn't mean to apply that the bumper box was fiberglassed to the body but that it wasn't a simple rectangular box but had lines that matched the rear.

I wish I new where I saw the picture.

Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post
http://www.Escapetrailer.com has a new hitch mounted one, but it is not molded into the body.

Greg, it looks like you added the operating tail light option, too. that really looks clean and the Stowaway likes like a great option, if one can handle the weight back there. I suppose it depends on the trailer, and what you haul back there.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:38 PM   #9

Registry
It probably wasn't the Escape then. Their box mounts up front:

NEW STORAGE BOX ON 19 FT. ESCAPE

Bigfoot has a big hitch box available, too. But they're on the hitch end as well.

Regards,

Matt
Old 02-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #10

Florida
That's very nice as well.

Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post
It probably wasn't the Escape then. Their box mounts up front:

NEW STORAGE BOX ON 19 FT. ESCAPE

Bigfoot has a big hitch box available, too. But they're on the hitch end as well.

Regards,

Matt
Old 02-22-2011, 06:33 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I can't help it, I'm a visual person. I think stuff other than the spare tire hanging off the back is.... ugly. Don't hate me, it's strictly an opinion. Others think an A/C on the roof looks like a pimple. That doesn't bother me... I'm short . I guess I'm lucky, I tow my trailer with a truck. I can haul all the yucky stuff I want and it doesn't destroy the great look of an egg. I'd build a box to put yucky stuff in and haul it in the tug or trailer before I'd add a bunch of stuff hanging off the back. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I'm with Donna on this. I use a tote box that fits nicely under the trailer when camping or it can do double duty as drink/snack table when needed. I would be reluctant to put a box on the back as I know all to well how much stuff I tend to collect over the camping season which could result in a real negative effect on the tongue weight. Each time I pick up the tote, the weight of it tells me when it needs a good clean out of all the items that I really dont need or use anymore in it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #13

Florida
Bumper Box
I believe an attractive bumper box can be built that would be non intursive. I'm surprised it doesn't exist.

We limit items in the bumper box to water hoses, power cords, jack handles, chocks and blocks. Really not much in the way of weight. Basically bulky stuff needed for setup.

As to ugly I believe one of the ugliest add-ons to a Scamp or Casitsa is the roof air conditioner. It just seems disproportionate for the size of the unit. I really prefer the Casita 16s standard room AC. It is more than adequate to cool. Very inexpensive to replace.

Norm
Old 02-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #14

Name: Sam
Trailer: 1977 Boler
Kansas
Hmmm, I think that Stow-Away box looks great -- it's such a nice match I would have guessed it was completely custom. I might have considered one until...

we got a good look at our frame.

The back loop of the frame juts out there a couple of feet like a diving board. Now that I see it (and the slight downward bend we have on one side) I wouldn't add any extra weight to the bumper without having the frame reinforced. That said, I'm guessing plenty of trailers have better frames that can easily handle rear weight, just not our '77 Boler.

-- Jess
Sam and Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #15

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I side with Donna and Carol on this issue, Carol has seen the junk the TRAILER GODDESS and I lug around.

My concern with ANY extras mounted to either the rear OR front of a trailer is the then imposed offset center of weight distributation which could cause 'some' towing issues....
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Bumper Box
We limit items in the bumper box to water hoses, power cords, jack handles, chocks and blocks. Really not much in the way of weight. Basically bulky stuff needed for setup.
Norm
yup so do I but its funny how it all seems to expand over the summer! When I clean out the box I almost always find a lost item or two at the bottom. :-)
Old 02-22-2011, 04:38 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Mager View Post
I side with Donna and Carol on this issue, Carol has seen the junk the TRAILER GODDESS and I lug around.

My concern with ANY extras mounted to either the rear OR front of a trailer is the then imposed offset center of weight distributation which could cause 'some' towing issues....
Working hard not to try and keep up to all your new items each year Doug! Would hate to have to break down and buy a truck.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Mager View Post

Yep, the only viable solution is boxes front AND rear!

I consider myself a visual person, too. But I sometimes find all the camping clutter visually distracting and wouldn't mind a caboose of sorts if it actually diminishes the loose junk and maybe facilitates organization.

Regards,

Matt
Old 02-22-2011, 09:48 PM   #19

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
As to ugly I believe one of the ugliest add-ons to a Scamp or Casitsa is the roof air conditioner. It just seems disproportionate for the size of the unit. I really prefer the Casita 16s standard room AC. It is more than adequate to cool. Very inexpensive to replace.

Norm
I agree about the roof AC being ugly because it spoils the smooth lines of a fiberglass trailer. I will add my opinion to the ugly list, the Maxx Air vent covers that cover a standard RV vent are huge and not attractive, although the MaxxFan has nice smooth low profile lines. Awnings, especially ones with supports attached vertically front and rear, really spoil the smooth trailer lines when not in use.
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:19 AM   #20

Florida
Andy,

I agree with your comments on Maxx Air and awnings. We had both on our motorhome and found them unnecessary. Awnings become a bother because the wind can play havoc with them. When we're traveling we spend a lot of time away from the rig exploring and are never confident enough to leave the awning up. Plus we always seem to be able to find shade

When we're weekend camping in a state park, spending the entire time there, an awning is fine.

Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
I agree about the roof AC being ugly because it spoils the smooth lines of a fiberglass trailer. I will add my opinion to the ugly list, the Maxx Air vent covers that cover a standard RV vent are huge and not attractive, although the MaxxFan has nice smooth low profile lines. Awnings, especially ones with supports attached vertically front and rear, really spoil the smooth trailer lines when not in use.