BREAKDOWN Coverage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-14-2015, 02:57 PM   #1

Name: Barb
Trailer: currently shopping
Ontario
BREAKDOWN Coverage

It's me again! I just received notice that my CAA coverage needs to be renewed in mid September. I have had basic coverage for many years for a car. For an RV or pulled trailer I need to upgrade to "plus" and add "RV coverage" The cost...$144.00 per year.
This includes: towing up to 200 km a maximum of 4 times a year
free fuel and delivery in emergency
up to $100 for vehicle Locksmith
up to $600 road trip accident assistance

I have only needed to use CAA or AAA 3 times in about 30 years for my car...once they did not arrive when I was just south of Atlanta Georgia...and once during a snowstorm they needed 5 hours to get to me and I needed to take my son for surgery...so I found a friends car.

Who have people used and been satisfied with for the trailers? Thank-you! Barb
Barb in Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:59 PM   #2

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb in Toronto View Post
It's me again! I just received notice that my CAA coverage needs to be renewed in mid September. I have had basic coverage for many years for a car. For an RV or pulled trailer I need to upgrade to "plus" and add "RV coverage" The cost...$144.00 per year.
This includes: towing up to 200 km a maximum of 4 times a year
free fuel and delivery in emergency
up to $100 for vehicle Locksmith
up to $600 road trip accident assistance

I have only needed to use CAA or AAA 3 times in about 30 years for my car...once they did not arrive when I was just south of Atlanta Georgia...and once during a snowstorm they needed 5 hours to get to me and I needed to take my son for surgery...so I found a friends car.

Who have people used and been satisfied with for the trailers? Thank-you! Barb
This is all in Canadian dollars. I know a bit about Sam's club...but not sure if they do what they say they do. any experiences appreciated.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:01 PM   #3

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Barb, we've had Good Sam roadside assistance coverage for years and have been satisfied with it. We had to use it two or three times when we had a motorhome - service was prompt and efficient. We do take advantage of the discount we can get at Good Sam approved RV parks from time to time too.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:08 PM   #4

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreengirl View Post
Barb, we've had Good Sam roadside assistance coverage for years and have been satisfied with it. We had to use it two or three times when we had a motorhome - service was prompt and efficient. We do take advantage of the discount we can get at Good Sam approved RV parks from time to time too.
Thank-you for responding. Good to hear positive reports. Barb
Old 08-15-2015, 12:37 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I've had AAA for 35 years. Never used the RV towing, but have used some of the other services. No problems.
I believe both AAA or CAA and Good Sam both use local towing companies. I suspect that is some cases the same towing company is used by both. That would make it boil down to services that would be provided by each company and their value to you.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:50 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
And CAA is more likely than Good Sam to know that Toronto, Ontario is in Canada and not an Indian reservation in Nevada.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:39 AM   #7

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
CAA would have cost me almost 300 a year, good sam is around 150 US, i. Live in ontario, have had good sam for years, never had a problem with them, they do use local tow companies wherever you are.
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:45 AM   #8

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
A year and a half ago getting ready to head south for the winter my driveway was like an ice skating rink. With my trailer hitched I was unable to move so I called Good Sam for a tow and was refused service because I was at home. I was not, as you might expect, a happy camper. My neighbor came with his 4x4 truck and got me moving. Bad experience with Good Sam. Two other situations requiring a tow, one for over 80 miles, were satisfactorily handled. Had two separate tire problems handled satisfactorily as was done with a car lockout episode when my wife locked all the keys inside.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:08 AM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I have used AAA in the states for over 40 years and I can't remember having a single complaint. I too have the RV upgrade and see it like life insurance, you pay the fees and still hope you will never use it. But down here the towing parameters are much more lenient. I had a motorhome towed from my driveway to a transmission shop when a seal failed. It sounds like some others might not do that.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:38 PM   #10

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I was at a rally this May and ended up with a flat tire. CAA came out within 1/2 hour and fixed it, no problem.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-21-2015, 10:58 AM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I've had AAA for 38 years and once I got an RV I got extended service with the RV attachment. I've had a 200 mile tow once. Tire service and battery service through out the years. The real merit to these services is you call one number on your card and it gets done. Never fast but at least help is on the way. As an avid offroader we are subject to tow service much more frequently than the average person. We are damn glad when we know the Calvary is coming.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:45 PM   #12

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Barb, out of curiosity, does your basic Auto/RV insurance not have an ERS rider? I just looked at AAA and ERS for both the TV and RV would run $128 US a year. When I looked at my auto insurance ERS for the RV is $15 US a year and $13.40 US a year for the TV.
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:10 PM   #13

The AAA coverage in California is much more than just emergency road service.

For example: Some ERS's have very small free towing limits and/or will only tow you to the nearest garage. With our AAA RV coverage in CA you get about 150-200 miles of towing to anywhere you want, and they will reimburse you if you are out of state and it exceeds local AAA coverage.

If your tow vehicle breaks down, they will tow both your tow vehicle and the trailer, even if it takes two tow trucks/roll-offs, to wherever you have to go within that range.

If your vehicle breaks down in your driveway they will tow you for repairs just as if it was a emergency breakdown.

And there is always all the other Perks of AAA membership, tour books, maps, DMV services and the battery replacement service, which I recently took advantage of myself.

Coverage's and fees will very from region to region, but that's about how the Northern & Southern California units work.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:58 PM   #14

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
I have AAA ERS but am insured through California Casualty (for faculty discount). AAA happily comes to charge a battery in my garage, or to tow us in for repair to one place or another.

To add the RV to our ERS is only another $50/year for both of us. (That does not include "insuring" the RV... I'm still investigating who can handle that best.)
Old 08-21-2015, 04:23 PM   #15

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I have towing service on each of my vehicles through my insurance company; State Farm. My son has used it when he hit some slush on the road and slid into the roadside ditch. He called a friend that runs a towing service, was put back on the road, and State Farm paid for the service. That is our only experience in 30 years (Touch Wood).
Old 08-21-2015, 05:30 PM   #16

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
The AAA coverage in California is much more than just emergency road service.

For example: Some ERS's have very small free towing limits and/or will only tow you to the nearest garage. With our AAA RV coverage in CA you get about 150-200 miles of towing to anywhere you want, and they will reimburse you if you are out of state and it exceeds local AAA coverage.

If your tow vehicle breaks down, they will tow both your tow vehicle and the trailer, even if it takes two tow trucks/roll-offs, to wherever you have to go within that range.

If your vehicle breaks down in your driveway they will tow you for repairs just as if it was a emergency breakdown.

And there is always all the other Perks of AAA membership, tour books, maps, DMV services and the battery replacement service, which I recently took advantage of myself.

Coverage's and fees will very from region to region, but that's about how the Northern & Southern California units work.
You brought up some very good points, Bob, so I called my carrier and asked about towing the trailer if the TV broke down. Yep, they said, they'd send out 2 tow vehicles. I don't have the "200 mile" tow radius, they'd tow to the closest repair facility and I would pay additional if I wanted to go further.

I've had this carrier for several years and made 3 ERS requests for motorcycles. Each was handled without delay.
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:22 PM   #17

Somewhat ironically, the premium for Motorcycle coverage is the same as for RV coverage. In fact you call the same 800 number for Motorcycle/RV Road Service...

I once had a Toyota motorhome towed from my house to the Transmission shop of my choice some 42 miles away, probably passed 50 others en route.