Breaking my tradition - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Breaking my tradition

After 18 winters in Arizona, as I type this I'm in an rv park in Kissimmee, Florida. Last winter was my first after my wife passed away.The drive from MI to AZ alone was terrible....about 2000 miles just to get there so I didn't want to do it again. Turns out that, from my driveway to my site at the rv park, I drove 1400.1 miles. I already miss AZ. Another two days would have put me there. I guess I must learn the hard way. Maybe I'll go later or maybe not. Only the Shadow knows. And if you're a lot younger than I am, you won't know that reference.

rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:55 PM   #2
Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
OOPS! Didn't mean to click on my own message.

rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:17 PM   #3
Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Bob, You are just exploring all your options. Sometimes you just have to see if there are alternate choices that can fit your current needs. Enjoy the warm weather, and make new friends this winter.
And who knows, by next winter, you may find that you have a hard time deciding if you want to go back to Florida, to Arizona, or try out a whole new state
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:46 PM   #4
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
For Pam's post, I need a Like button... oh, here it is!
Attached Images
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 05:11 PM   #5
Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We go to the same campground in GA for the winter. It's certainly not the best campground ever, but we are there for the location which is quiet, and we know many of the people, so it becomes it's own little snowbird community in the winter. As with retired people anywhere we lose some regulars each year but gain some new ones. We considered going farther south into Florida for warmer weather but like this location too much. We hit a few campgrounds on the way, usually taking at least a week to get to our final destination. Where you like is a major factor in deciding where to go. I would put that over distance.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 05:33 PM   #6
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Oswego, NY
I spent last winter is a couple of state parks & the La Paz County Park on the Colorado River in AZ, and I have to say even though it is a bit shorter drive to Florida, AZ is hard to beat. My wife passed away almost 5 years ago & while I have adjusted to traveling alone, I still miss her...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:01 PM   #7
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Our experience is that there are quiet, friendly campgrounds everywhere. Last year we were in AZ and NM and except for the cold we were happy. This year we are in a low density county in central FL dominated by orange trees and cattle. The nearest interstate is about 50 miles yet there are numerous high speed two lane Florida roads in every direction.

It's not unlike parts of AZ and NM. When in FL we tend to stay away from the cities, about 42 people per square here in Hardee county. Every state has it's quiet areas.
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:34 PM   #8
Name: p@
Trailer: Casita
South Carolina
given the circumstances i applaud you for getting out and back on the road. time will dull the pain you're experiencing now and you'll no doubt learn to take comfort in your memories of her. at least that's the way it's worked out for me over the past nineteen years.

patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:53 PM   #9
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Give FL a little time and you may warm up to it. But if not, you are retired and free to go wherever, whenever. No cows to milk!

While traveling, try to occupy your mind with something (music, audio book, counting big rigs, calling a relative on the phone, whatever helps to keep your mind off of painful thoughts).

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote