Breeze Fan - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2006, 02:22 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Mary, the fan has a small 12v jack that has to be adapted to. So it would need the male "lighter" end with the little plug on the other.

That extension cord you posted is neat! I've never seen one.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:26 PM   #22

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Jacks comment reminded me of something we discovered using our Fantastic Fan awhile ago. When you're cooking something like bacon or other smelly stuff, switch the fan to "IN" instead of "OUT" (exhaust). By pressurizing your trailer and opening only the window nearest the stove, (we have one right over ours) you shove the smell out quickly instead of sucking it throughout the trailer. Makes quite a difference.

Sorry. Now back to your regular program ...

This may be a dumb question but where do you plug the Endless Breeze fan in inside your camper? I'm thinking of getting one since I don't have the correct size vent hole in the roof for a roof fan.
Mary Gessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:53 PM   #23

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
The Breeze Fan has a 12V male plug that fits into the ports in some trailers. Some trailers have a regular household type electric plug and others have the 12V receptacle, some have both and some have no plugin capability at all. Your trailer may not be wired for the fan.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:05 PM   #24

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...Your trailer may not be wired for the fan...
... but outlets can always be added, if you're up to running wires, finding a suitable circuit (or adding one at the distribution panel), and mounting the outlet in a cabinet or on a wall. Lots of people have done this; my Boler has no built-in 12V outlets, and I'll probably get around to adding some this year.

Start a debate: ask what kind of outlet is best...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:22 PM   #25

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Brian:
I suspect you knew I would pipe in here: Speakon connectors (panel mount and line mount). Push in, twist slightly, click in, and a sleeve automatically locks it in place. To remove: pull sleeve out slightly, twist left and pull. Lots easier to do than say. Secure, positive, high quality, easy to wire up, cheap, and taste good too.
Attached Thumbnails
Speakon.jpg  
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:29 PM   #26

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
When your cooking bacon who wants to get rid of the smell?? thats what I go camping for.

We take a 14" fan with us but it has nothing to do with inside the camper, we use it while sitting outside in buggie season, with the wind blowing they aren't quite as bad
Old 03-24-2006, 01:50 AM   #27

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Quote:
This may be a dumb question but where do you plug the Endless Breeze fan in inside your camper? I'm thinking of getting one since I don't have the correct size vent hole in the roof for a roof fan.
The vent hole can be modified to accomodate a ceiling vent fan if that's what you really want. People add them aftermarket all the time.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:27 AM   #28

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Mary probably has the bigger escape hatch sized hole? Cutting another hole is no big deal (at least to me). Measure about a million times, cut, all is good.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:06 AM   #29

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Brian:
I suspect you knew I would pipe in here: Speakon connectors (panel mount and line mount). Push in, twist slightly, click in, and a sleeve automatically locks it in place. To remove: pull sleeve out slightly, twist left and pull. Lots easier to do than say. Secure, positive, high quality, easy to wire up, cheap, and taste good too.
I also suggested using Speakons a few yaers back.
They are watertight,high current.polarized and can be 2-8 conductor.
I like'em and use them for all sorts of things!
They are also inexpensive even compared with cheap and poorly made lighter jacks.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:10 AM   #30

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
[quote]When your cooking bacon who wants to get rid of the smell?? thats what I go camping for

ME TOO!! but I do have to say I do the majority of the cooking outside to avoid grease from splattering all over ... Turkey bacon is good tho.. no fat on it..
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:25 AM   #31

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I also suggested using Speakons a few yaers back.
They are watertight,high current.polarized and can be 2-8 conductor.
I like'em and use them for all sorts of things!
They are also inexpensive even compared with cheap and poorly made lighter jacks.

I checked the specs on these connectors, very impressive for speaker connectors.
The problem with Speakon or any other non-standard 12 Volt connector is for every thing you get designed for 12 Volts you have to change to connector on that device. I have charge cables for, cell phones, PDAs, Cameras, GPSs, an two inverters, etc. The list goes on and on. Every time I upgrade there's a new cable with the standard connector on it. Plus many of these, if not all are used in two cars and one trailer. Sounds kind of expensive in both time and money to change the connectors in the cars, the trailer and every 12 Volt item I buy.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:36 AM   #32

Quote:
I checked the specs on these connectors, very impressive for speaker connectors.
The problem with Speakon or any other non-standard 12 Volt connector is for every thing you get designed for 12 Volts you have to change to connector on that device. I have charge cables for, cell phones, PDAs, Cameras, GPSs, an two inverters, etc. The list goes on and on. Every time I upgrade there's a new cable with the standard connector on it. Plus many of these, if not all are used in two cars and one trailer. Sounds kind of expensive in both time and money to change the connectors in the cars, the trailer and every 12 Volt item I buy.
Good point.
What I do is make adapter cables to go from Speakon to other types.For power for instance I will have a box with a few lighter connectors and/or some Anderson Power Poles on it.I may have spring terminals or banana's or whatever is appropriate for the application.The key is using the Speakon as a source and then distributing it from there.

I also have way to many electronics in my life and most already have been re-connectorized(if that is even a word?) to fit within my system. For me this part of it is as much fun as the rest.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:57 AM   #33

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Good point.
What I do is make adapter cables to go from Speakon to other types.For power for instance I will have a box with a few lighter connectors and/or some Anderson Power Poles on it.I may have spring terminals or banana's or whatever is appropriate for the application.The key is using the Speakon as a source and then distributing it from there.

I also have way to many electronics in my life and most already have been re-connectorized(if that is even a word?) to fit within my system. For me this part of it is as much fun as the rest.
I thought about the adaptor route, but then I'd have two connectors in system. Double the chance of failure. Every time you add a connector in the line you've increased the chances of failures.

Like many other things choices are made on president rather than what's best. If it was up to me there'd be a totally different connector design for 12 Volt vehicle accessories. It would have to be locking, able to carry 50+ amps, and different than any other connector.
I think it's just as bad to use a speaker connector for power as it is to use a cigarette lighter as power connector.

"Ah, there's a speaker connector, I'll just plug this speaker into that."

But because cigarette lighter sockets are in all vehicles that's the defacto standard. I can point out many things like that. But trying to buck any standard, defacto or designed, I believe will cause you more problems than going along with the standard.

That's my story or 2 cents worth or ....
Old 03-24-2006, 01:43 PM   #34

Quote:
I thought about the adaptor route, but then I'd have two connectors in system. Double the chance of failure. Every time you add a connector in the line you've increased the chances of failures.

Like many other things choices are made on president rather than what's best. If it was up to me there'd be a totally different connector design for 12 Volt vehicle accessories. It would have to be locking, able to carry 50+ amps, and different than any other connector.
I think it's just as bad to use a speaker connector for power as it is to use a cigarette lighter as power connector.

"Ah, there's a speaker connector, I'll just plug this speaker into that."

But because cigarette lighter sockets are in all vehicles that's the defacto standard. I can point out many things like that. But trying to buck any standard, defacto or designed, I believe will cause you more problems than going along with the standard.

That's my story or 2 cents worth or ....
I agree for the most part here.
If the standard lighter plugset was not so bad it would not even be an issue to me.
Since I employ the speaker connectors in my RV's I am not too worried about a speaker being connected by mistake. Actually not too many people would have access to or knowledge of these connectors and there is no way to stick a wire into them without the mating connector so they are safe from that standpoint.
The Speakon is a self-cleaning design too that for my money does not really degrade significantly in this application so I do not hesitate to use them in my system and do not worry about voltage drops with them.

More to the original piont.I also have an Endless Breeze fan and I really like it.
It moves an amazing amount of air for the power it uses.I would have about died in the heat last summer when power outages here made me move into the 4500 for a week.
I had the fan bungee corded at an angle over the bed and plugged into a lighter socket I have at both ends of the rear window. It is also slim and easy to store for its size and if mine broke I would likely get another right away.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:37 PM   #35

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Thanks Per, Ed, and Byron for responding on cue. We're still missing some of the ham operators to explain those Powerpoles, steve L. to pitch for Marinco "lighter" sockets/plugs, and someone to suggest the 2-pin version of trailer in-line connectors.

I was not aware of Speakon connectors, or any speaker connector used for power, until an earlier discussion in this forum. I agree that it seems surprising that a speaker connector would have adequate current capacity, but these are apparently not intended for your average home speaker.

I did a brief search for the Speakon product after I first noticed them in a post, but was not clear on which version people were using - thanks for the photo, Per. Does anyone have a recommended source? I'm still considering both Powerpoles and (now) Speakon.

Trivia for the day - it looks like the Speakon connector is made by Neutrik, from Liechtenstein. How many people can say part of their trailer was made in Liechtenstein?

One way to address the issue of compatibility with common 12VDC appliance, like the Endless Breeze (in case you don't want to just cut of the stock connector and replace it with your preferred design) is to put both "lighter" socket (preferably the Marinco version) and (whatever) preferred socket in the same panel, supplied by the same circuit, and use whichever one suits the purpose of the moment. Each socket could have a separate fuse of suitable capacity.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:54 PM   #36

Brian
The Neutrik line is available mainly through commercial A/V suppliers and there are many online.Two notable ones are www.markertek.com and www.rapco.com but tere are many.
They have applications anywhere high quality connectors are needed and they make a complete line of connectors that are uniformly excellent. They also have an apaptation of the Speakon called the Powercon which are available in higher current capacities.
I use them all both in commercial and residential jobs and have never had one fail in any way.
The standard american made connectors from switchcraft.com seem like chevy's vs. Lexus to many in the industry and the Neutrik's are less expensive and greater in variety.

Powerpoles are a connector made by Anderson and are unique and have become a standard for emergency communications power but I am not that crazy about them as they can disconnect too easily. They do allow an unlimited ability to configure for special needs
and can be color-coded and can take varying current contacts. Look at www.powerwerx.com for more info.

I use the Marinco connectors too and my eggs are both wired with their Ancor wire which I really like,in fact I bought another roll this afternoon.

Like I said above,I make pigtails or distribution boxes so I can use the good connectors as a source of main power and distribute it from there. I also use your suggestion where a "Bank" of connectors may offer a handy variety of connectors appropriate for the job.

The best thing about the Speakons is the price. I get them for under $6.00 a set where the Marinco lighter plug sets are triple that price.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:49 PM   #37

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have been using Speakons for many years, for audio applications.

The major advantage of a speakon is that they lock into place.. They were specifically designed for an application that has increasing current needs, as well as durability requirements. Hefty guage speaker cables just dont do well with 1/4" or Bannanas.

If you have ever had some drunk wander around your stage set up and trip on a line, disconnect your mains while running near full power, you learn to appreciate the mighty durability of these guys. Sparks and silence are not fun.

Even given that, I would probably not use them for most our 12v apps. It's like having a tank for towing a Radio Flyer. I have them lying around, and would use them if I needed a connector real quick tho.

Byrons assesment of having to change ends or adapt everything you have is true.

I hate making cables...........
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote