Brewing Coffee - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-01-2017, 08:52 PM   #71

Name: Tab
Trailer: ParkLiner
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
Our set up in the trailer is a digital scale to portion the freshly roasted beans, a Hario hand grinder, a Hario pourover kettle, a Melita cone, and a 1 liter thermos carafe. This isn't speedy, but cleans up with very little wasted water and produces an excellent brew. Figure 5 minutes to grind, 5 minutes to boil water on stove while you are grinding, and a 4 minute pour over. Sometimes a 20 minute break will be all you need to refresh yourself for a few hundred more miles. We also carry a Kalita stainless steel cone and filters for when i want a single 16 oz. cup. (coffee is a smidge better than the Melita larger batch)

Russ

Old 02-01-2017, 08:58 PM   #72

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I think you just caused Jim Bennett to have a heart attack.
Lol... I have heard of it before. Some day it is not a lot different than cream, both are dairy. Since a teenager, I have always drank black, and will always do so.

Other than the odd after dinner cappuccino, that is, but they too are rare.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:58 PM   #73

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I think you just caused Jim Bennett to have a heart attack.

Sorry, Jim!
Old 02-01-2017, 08:58 PM   #74

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
Sorry, Jim!
It's all good.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-02-2017, 08:06 AM   #75

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Bulletproof coffee is good. I don't completely agree with the premise and marketing, but there is definitely something to it. Based on the yak-butter tea that Tibetan monks drink. If you mix it right in the blender, it isn't greasy or weird. It's quite a bit like a latte.

It's turned into a whole industry and lifestyle now (my brother is a Bulletproof "coach") and is a little weird.

But yeah, coffee supposedly has the same mico-toxins that peanuts get, from some kind of fungus/mold. The founder has been a little cagey when asked to explain his coffee and the science and origin behind it, and the price justification. It has a scam-y sort of feel, but I don't think it is. I see it almost like the atkins diet, but not quite as bad...

I agree that if you drink coffee with a couple tablespoons of butter and mct oil or coconut oil, yeah, you won't be hungry till lunch and will have energy. Whether it's for everyone (some claim skyrocketing cholesterol levels after trying this "diet") or is really healthy in the long run will be shown sometime in the future by the current test subjects who swear by it.

There's definitely something convenient and nice about just drinking a latte-like coffee and being satisfied and energized all morning, without getting weighed down by actual food. I can see executives in fast paced, hectic environments benefiting.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:23 PM   #76

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
I blame Starbucks for this obsession with how to brew coffee. I hate Starbucks!☺
Old 02-02-2017, 04:22 PM   #77

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
It shouldn't be necessary to mix the coffee, butter, and coconut oil in a blender. I think I'll just put the latter two on my bread and wash it down with the coffee.

Speaking of which.... time to go make a cup to drink with dinner.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:08 PM   #78

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19, 2007 Tacoma 4X4 V6 tow package
California
Cold brew!

Just to throw in my 2 cents. I used the AeroPress for a long time and it is good. Keep that as my backup. Lately at home I've been doing cold brew after finding out about it from a friend who is 'really' into coffee (roasts beans, etc). This is the setup I got

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can make a carafe of the concentrate and that will last me a week or two and until I retire that is the longest trip.

There are all kinds of kits and ways to do it, just google cold brewing.

Jeff
Old 02-02-2017, 07:24 PM   #79

Alberta
Registry
I have had cold brew a few times, but never made it myself. It produces a super smooth cup of coffee, very easy to drink. Using cold water seems to bring out less acidity (not bitterness), which I often like in a coffee, lending to a brighter taste.

So many great ways to make coffee. Just remember that fresh grinding good beans makes any method that much better.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:12 PM   #80

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
I am another fan of the Aeropress. It makes good coffee but what truly sells its value for travel for me is how easy it is to clean it. Pretty much a quick wipe with a paper towel is sufficient with a once in a while dunk in the dishpan.

I used to drink drip coffee years ago. But a 26 day camping trip to France changed my coffee consumption preference. You can't buy drip coffee there and they don't use French press makers at the coffee shops either. Straight espresso shots is all they were selling so I went "native". It is said that it takes 21 days to imprint a new habit and that might just be true
Old 02-03-2017, 06:29 AM   #81

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
I used to drink drip coffee years ago. But a 26 day camping trip to France changed my coffee consumption preference. You can't buy drip coffee there and they don't use French press makers at the coffee shops either. Straight espresso shots is all they were selling so I went "native". It is said that it takes 21 days to imprint a new habit and that might just be true
I lived and worked in France for two years and it definitely changed my coffee drinking habits. Nothing beats a good espresso. It also changed my wine drinking habits but that's a subject for another day!
The Lonestar Oliver #135 | Ram 1500 5.7L
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:50 AM   #82

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Wait you mean it's not normal to drink a 24oz coffee mixed with ungodly amounts of cream, tablespoons of sugar with flavorings, and some nutmeg zest??...

I heard some comments a new citizen, who came from an African country, made about his first thoughts on US culture. "All the food is so sweet!". Sugar in everything. Sugar makes it addictive, so put sugar in it and they'll keep coming back for more.

The less sugar you eat, the more you realize how sweet everything is. We've become very desensitized to sugar, since we're so saturated with it. A lot of ketchup honestly tastes like candy to me.

I really am trying to stop using this thread as my personal soapbox but clearly I can't control myself...
Old 02-07-2017, 09:55 PM   #83

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
At home, it's Peet's Aged Sumatra and French Roast. If we start with good beans, most any of the methods mentioned above will make some great coffee - that and adding a little fresh 1/2 & 1/2. While camping, for us it's simply a teapot and Starbuck's Pike Place and French Roast in the little Via single-serve instant coffee packets - that and adding a little fresh 1/2 & 1/2. Once the water boils, there is no waiting and the only thing to clean is your coffee mug when you're done.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:55 AM   #84

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Me and the Mrs love coffee in the mornings camping and we have a traditional coffee maker for electric hookup sites and a percolator pot for boondocking. Last few times camping we opted for the percolator on the campfire even though we had electricity. Thought about filtering it when pouring to keep grounds out. YMMV